A&H

A touch of last weeks ref.... oh dear

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
Was over my local park yesterday with missus +1 and friends, when i noticed a match about to kick off, whilst t'others went to the children's playthings i gladly sat down to watch some footie (season not starting for another 2 weeks so i assume a friendly).
Good end to end football , couple of near misses all going well ref having a good game until............. blue player running down wing with the ball, yellow player running with him and gets possession of the ball and the blue player grabs his shirt and pulls it ref blows whistle for free kick. Blue player shouts at ref " You didn't see him pull my f****** shirt did you? ya f****** c***".. The referee just waved the player away, not a word/booking or anything..... :-( I saw the whole incident and the yellow player didn't touch him just won the ball fairly.
Needless to say i was astounded that the referee did not take any action against the blue player for the abuse.

The Referee Store
Why were you astounded?

You must realise that there are hundreds of colleagues who would do exactly the same week in and week out........?

That's why referees who aren't prepared to tolerate such abuse are viewed as 'card happy' or 'harsh'....because players are used to getting away with it.....and who's fault is that?

Reactions: SM
... Blue player shouts at ref " You didn't see him pull my f****** shirt did you? ya f****** c***"..

Just for my own education really, the phrase as given above = OFFINABUS = Red Card?

However, if the player had just said the first part:

... Blue player shouts at ref " You didn't see him pull my f****** shirt did you?

Dissent = yellow, or "just" a (forceful) word?

Why were you astounded?

You must realise that there are hundreds of colleagues who would do exactly the same week in and week out........?

That's why referees who aren't prepared to tolerate such abuse are viewed as 'card happy' or 'harsh'....because players are used to getting away with it.....and who's fault is that?
He wasn't a young ref, i just expected something a little more, but i agree they are used to getting away with it......

Just for my own education really, the phrase as given above = OFFINABUS = Red Card?

... Blue player shouts at ref " You didn't see him pull my f****** shirt did you? [/COLOR

For me it would have been a yellow, therefore nipping it in the bud there and then.....

The clampdown we have seen in the opening weekend of football league fixtures should show a benchmark for attitude towards referees. The publicity that has gone with this campaign means that players should now expect cards rather than warnings for dissent. This is a great opportunity for us to drive an improvement in behaviour towards referees at grass roots level if all referees adopt a zero tolerance approach from the start of this season.

The clampdown we have seen in the opening weekend of football league fixtures should show a benchmark for attitude towards referees. The publicity that has gone with this campaign means that players should now expect cards rather than warnings for dissent. This is a great opportunity for us to drive an improvement in behaviour towards referees at grass roots level if all referees adopt a zero tolerance approach from the start of this season.
I agree, if we all have zero tolerance...........

... Blue player shouts at ref " You didn't see him pull my f****** shirt did you?

Personally, I would manage using the stepped approach, like the below...
  • A strong blast of the whistle, slow the game down.
  • Isolate the player, cut the grass, bring the captain in if nearby
  • You have managed the situation, avoided use of cards, and made it clear such actions are not tolerated. You have then also made it incredibly easy to sell a caution for dissent dissent, for his next pop if is stupid enough to do it again.

Personally, I would manage using the stepped approach, like the below...
  • A strong blast of the whistle, slow the game down.
  • Isolate the player, cut the grass, bring the captain in if nearby
  • You have managed the situation, avoided use of cards, and made it clear such actions are not tolerated. You have then also made it incredibly easy to sell a caution for dissent dissent, for his next pop if is stupid enough to do it again.

Why are you bothered about avoiding the use of cards?

It's textbook dissent and deserves a caution........

I agree, if we all have zero tolerance...........
What the EPL is promoting is far, far from zero tolerance, but still better. Let's see if it happens though.
there's absolutely no reason why football can't reach the same level of respect and acceptance of the decisions that other sports have.

IMO either is acceptable. Depends on other variables, particularly the tone. Is it said loudly as a bit of a 'come on, didn't you see that?' or is he almost spitting the words out aggressively? Things like that matter. Sounds like this would have been pretty aggressive though. Even regional differences will matter here in terms of conversational foul language. Foul language makes it 'worse' though IMO not automatically dissent.

Last edited:
Anyone see QPR v Leeds on Sky - I was there in person but QPR player received yellow card for dissent that (without hearing the actual words obviously) I'm sure wouldn't have been last season.

It was the only one given for dissent all afternoon though, which could be regarded as a little inconsistent given a couple of reactions by one or two Leeds players later in the match.

Back