A&H

A quick free kick (within shooting distance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a side note, do others always count out the wall (if they're not taking it quick) or do you only count the wall if the attacking team asks?

The Referee Store
On a side note, do others always count out the wall (if they're not taking it quick) or do you only count the wall if the attacking team asks?

If it’s within shooting distance or a defender is just standing there in the way then yes I’m counting it out, it just calms everything down and gives you a chance to gather yourself.

If it’s a non threatening area of the pitch then I just let them crack on.

If it’s within shooting distance or a defender is just standing there in the way then yes I’m counting it out, it just calms everything down and gives you a chance to gather yourself.

If it’s a non threatening area of the pitch then I just let them crack on.
I'm not denying the attacking team the advantage of a quick free kick just because they might score.

So if there was a huge gap in the defence with an obvious through ball and a chance to score you'd say "woah hold it there, wait for the defenders"?

Had it in a cup final last season, I was AR, referee gave free kick on edge of box, attacker immediately shot, keeper unaware, good goal given.

Defender comes over at the end "I thought they had to wait for the whistle, ref?", ref explained and defender said he didn't know that law but fair enough. Job done.

I'm not denying the attacking team the advantage of a quick free kick just because they might score.

So if there was a huge gap in the defence with an obvious through ball and a chance to score you'd say "woah hold it there, wait for the defenders"?

Had it in a cup final last season, I was AR, referee gave free kick on edge of box, attacker immediately shot, keeper unaware, good goal given.

Defender comes over at the end "I thought they had to wait for the whistle, ref?", ref explained and defender said he didn't know that law but fair enough. Job done.

JH as I said before if & it’s a big if an attacker has an oppertunity to shoot with no impeding & it’s from the right place then he’s got my blessing to shoot or cross the ball.

If like 99.9% of the time there is to much going on & it’s not an option just to calm it down & put everyone on the same page I’ll say on my whistle & count out the wall.

Get there quickly, and I mean really quickly. If they want to go fast it needs to be before I get there, otherwise it is on the whistle and I will manage the wall.

Get there quickly, and I mean really quickly. If they want to go fast it needs to be before I get there, otherwise it is on the whistle and I will manage the wall.

That is it in a nutshell, that’s what I was looking for.

If I get there then your on my time & there is gonna be no mucking about.

I would like to add I’ve refereed around 25-30 games & I can’t remember a single occasion where a defender has not stood infront of the kicker to prevent the quick free kick, the instant someone does that I’m now involved & we’re counting out 10.

Think I was always the rogue on this one......free kick was always good to go for me anywhere on the pitch.........but ask me to set the wall, locate the spot or any other involvement and the restart is on the whistle......

I would like to add I’ve refereed around 25-30 games & I can’t remember a single occasion where a defender has not stood infront of the kicker to prevent the quick free kick, the instant someone does that I’m now involved & we’re counting out 10.

Why not caution him for delaying the restart? Not allowing quick free kicks has just become an excuse for not dealing with players who stand over the ball.

Why not caution him for delaying the restart? Not allowing quick free kicks has just become an excuse for not having to deal with players who stand over the ball.

Because 99.9% of the time the taker is not looking to take a quick free kick, it’s just a natural thing for a defender to do get up stand inline with the free kick moan at the attacker or moan at me it’s just the way it flows, I’ll get him away count the wall and off we go.

I’ve never had an instance within shooting distance where the ball has been placed quick enough to the spot to take a quick free kick, players want to be Ronaldo it’s there moment there on the big stage in the park old boy and his dog watching it’s there chance to live the glory, they want time to size it up & have a pop.

The higher you go the more switched on the player then yes you’ll prob get a player try something to catch everyone out but Sunday league Saturday afternoons not the best standard they are not interested in quick free kicks.

That is it in a nutshell, that’s what I was looking for.

If I get there then your on my time & there is gonna be no mucking about.

If they are not retreating the required distance, This is a YC DRP or FRD. Take your pick (DRP is the preferred if i am not mistaken) If I see it, I normally advise them (dont do that again or it's a YC). Many referees at lower levels do not address this and it leads to continued issues for other referees as well as creates an appearance that this is a fair tactic (which it is not). There is a reason you dont see it in the WC or PL

If they are not retreating the required distance, This is a YC DRP or FRD. Take your pick (DRP is the preferred if i am not mistaken) If I see it, I normally advise them (dont do that again or it's a YC). Many referees at lower levels do not address this and it leads to continued issues for other referees as well as creates an appearance that this is a fair tactic (which it is not). There is a reason you dont see it in the WC or PL

Ok so what is the reason we didn’t see quick free kicks from shooting distance in the prem last season then?

Your over reacting to a problem that isn’t there, thanks for the advice but I’ll judge if someone is crossing the line regarding preventing someone from taking a quick free kick.

Never been an issue until now & never had a complaint on the pitch, I’m not saying every time I give a free kick on the edge of the box someone deliberately runs over to stand in the way I’m just saying with that amount of players around the incident someone will either be in the path of the ball or on the floor or the ball won’t be where the incident took place etc also like I said a player will often tactically make sure they appeal to me or the opponent near the path of the ball.

As I said quick free kicks from shooting distance is unheard at my level of footy they are not interested even if the quick shot is on, also I rarely see it in the prem.

Ok so what is the reason we didn’t see quick free kicks from shooting distance in the prem last season then?

Your over reacting to a problem that isn’t there, thanks for the advice but I’ll judge if someone is crossing the line regarding preventing someone from taking a quick free kick.

Never been an issue until now & never had a complaint on the pitch, I’m not saying every time I give a free kick on the edge of the box someone deliberately runs over to stand in the way I’m just saying with that amount of players around the incident someone will either be in the path of the ball or on the floor or the ball won’t be where the incident took place etc also like I said a player will often tactically make sure they appeal to me or the opponent near the path of the ball.

As I said quick free kicks from shooting distance is unheard at my level of footy they are not interested even if the quick shot is on, also I rarely see it in the prem.
You seem to be somewhat adversarial and hyper-critical of referees at all levels ( for someone who has 25-30 games under his belt and just recently acknowledged you need to be more schooled on the LOTG). I wish you well but fear your learning curve may be steep. I've only got 400 games under my belt but strive to learn from every source I can. Best of luck

Oh and to answer your question, quick free kicks occur mostly in the middle third of the field where they are typically most effective leading to a promising attack

Last edited:
Oh and to answer your question, quick free kicks occur mostly in the middle third of the field where they are typically most effective leading to a promising attack

I haven’t criticised anybody I just stated why don’t we see quick free kicks from shooting distance in the prem & that until now I’ve never had someone try to take one.

You have come back with most quick free kicks occur in the middle third which has totally confused me as the thread is titled (quick free kicks within shooting distance) your hell bent on telling me I’m letting other refs down by not cautioning players that prevent a quick free kick from shooting distance & then your backing up what I’m saying by stating they usually only happen in the middle third.

As I said I’m yet to experience or see someone last season score a quick free kick from shooting distance on the TV I’m sure there has been but it’s rare, it’s a non issue for me, if all of a sudden every game there is new phenomenon that everyone wants to shoot early then I’ll address it.

To the OP, the LOTG specify a few times when you MUST blow the whistle. Issuing a card, a sub, that sort of thing. Assuming that doesn't occur, then the attacking team always has the right to the quick free kick.

There's a bit of room for common sense though. If you're standing on the spot and they've gone over to slowly retrieve the ball and send it back...well, obviously they're not looking to take it quickly so don't think too much about their right. There's no specific measure on what's 'quick'...just use your own understanding. If the attacking team hasn't taken it fairly quickly, then take over the situation.

If you've intervened in any way, then it's ceremonial. That is to say - don't pass the ball back to the kicker just because you're nearby.

If you've started walking the defenders back, then you're intervening. At this point, it's ceremonial.

In fact, if you're going to start walking the defenders back, then before you do say to the attackers 'on the whistle'. Hold your whistle up high and point to it. It will feel exaggerated, but it's necessary - because the attacker probably isn't actually listening to you.

The way you said you understand it is more or less what works. The LOTG aren't quite explicit, but that's the general scenario. But in your case, you probably should have clearly indicated beforehand that it's ceremonial, that'll be your take-away on this one :)

This one's in the Laws :)

I'm not following this at all. If the attacking team wants to take it before the keeper sets up the wall, that's their right. A free kick is about the attacker, not the defender.

The number of times I see it a season I could probably count on one hand. And at least half of those are taken clearly from the wrong spot. Although if it went straight out then the position looked fine to me ;-)

Usually if they look to take a quick free-kick within shooting distance its because the keeper is setting the wall up and is stood on a post, now right or wrong in both gamesmanship and law I think the best action to maintain game management is to allow the wall to be set up etc.

I had one last season where from 40 yards the keeper had came out to clear a ball he miss cleared it and it landed at the opposition players foot who was fouled, as this was going on the keeper was arguing with his own player about giving the ball away, the attacking team asked if they could take it I said of course! Goal! no one complained to me they all complained to the keeper for arguing and not getting into position.

If someone wants to take a quick free kick, then I’m more than happy to let them.

But it has to be quick, if I get there and then they ask to take it quickly then they’re out of luck, as the moment I get there I’ll be signalling that it’s on He whistle and pacing the wall out etc.

People have told me to never allow a quick free kick within shooting range for the sake of “game management”, but to me that is a weak reason, and by automatically stopping a team from taking a quick free kick when you are putting the offended team at a disadvantage, and favouring the team that committed the foul by allowing them to set up a wall etc.

However, all of that being said I don’t think I’ve ever had a team want to take a quick free kick near the area, except for the guys who only decide they want to take it quick after you start pacing he wall out.

If someone wants to take a quick free kick, then I’m more than happy to let them.

But it has to be quick, if I get there and then they ask to take it quickly then they’re out of luck, as the moment I get there I’ll be signalling that it’s on He whistle and pacing the wall out etc.

People have told me to never allow a quick free kick within shooting range for the sake of “game management”, but to me that is a weak reason, and by automatically stopping a team from taking a quick free kick when you are putting the offended team at a disadvantage, and favouring the team that committed the foul by allowing them to set up a wall etc.

However, all of that being said I don’t think I’ve ever had a team want to take a quick free kick near the area, except for the guys who only decide they want to take it quick after you start pacing he wall out.

It takes 3 things for a quick free kick in a shooting/attacking postion for me.
1> a quick thinking confident player at the ball
2> if its for a pass, a quick thinking confident striker
3> a tuned in quick thinking confident referee

a lot of us, at our grass roots games, will not have 2 of them at the same time at the same incident. All 3 of the folk mentioned there must be aware and accept the risks that might follow if their actions dont come to fruition. If however you have weighed it all up and decided its good to go, then, let it go (provided of course we are not into the set up process)

it’s just a natural thing for a defender to do get up stand inline with the free kick
No, it's not just a natural thing for defenders to do, it's an offence and a cautionable one at that.
I remember at least a couple (may even have been three). I can't remember which games exactly but I specifically noted them at the time, in part because of the discussions we've often had on here about quick free kicks within shooting distance.

No, it's not just a natural thing for defenders to do, it's an offence and a cautionable one at that.

I remember at least a couple (may even have been three). I can't remember which games exactly but I specifically noted them at the time, in part because of the discussions we've often had on here about quick free kicks within shooting distance.

So you can remember two or three over a season, proves the point I guess that it’s a non issue.

England scored from a quick free kick in the run up to the World Cup. Can't remember the opposition but it was a text book quick free kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back