A&H

A quick free kick (within shooting distance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
No, it proves the point that implying it's a non-issue because we never see it happen in the Premier League, is incorrect.

Ok Peter well your knowledge and resources you use to discuss & contribute to all things refereeing are very helpful & I’ll probably never know half of what you share on here over my lifetime so we’ll leave it at that.

I’ve got an awful lot to learn I’m sure I’ll be the one next season coming on here asking the questions.

If they have time to ask you it's not a quick one...

I'd agree with that, but some referees, and consequentially players, seem to be under the impression that they need to asked before allowing a 'quick' free kick around the area.

So in a nutshell its take it within two seconds or wait for the whistle, no in between ?

I reckon so, the moment you walk towards it & it’s still not taken then I’d go down the on my whistle route, save any confusion.

I'd agree with that, but some referees, and consequentially players, seem to be under the impression that they need to asked before allowing a 'quick' free kick around the area.
It's not a requirement in law, but I think it is good practice to encourage as a ref. If a player takes a quick FK and does it well, you will come across badly if you then have to call them back because you want to issue a card, give someone a bollocking or if they took it from the wrong place. Wheras if they ask you and you say "Sorry guys, I need to get him in the book first" or even "yeah, but it has to be from back there", all you've denied is a quick FK rather than stopping them in the middle of a dangerous attacking move.

Pretty sure Arsenal did it a few times, and then had it done right back at them at one point! Back when Henry played for them.

Pretty sure Arsenal did it a few times, and then had it done right back at them at one point! Back when Henry played for them.

Yeah they weren’t adverse to a unconventional Pen either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back