A&H

A pair of PK questions

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
As said, yadda yadda, LotG Law 14. Here are two different questions for you?

1. You whistle for Red #7 to take a penalty kick. Red #7 illegally feints at the end of her run up. At the same as the illegal fient, the blue GK sticks her tongue out to unfairly distract the opponent. The penalty is scored. What is your decision?

2. You whistle for blue #9 to take a penalty kick. After the kick has been taken, as the ball moves forward, a fan wearing a blue T-shirt enters the field. The fan does not prevent the red GK from playing the ball. The fan touches the ball on its way into the net. The penalty is scored. What is your decision?

The Referee Store
As said, yadda yadda, LotG Law 14. Here are two different questions for you?

1. You whistle for Red #7 to take a penalty kick. Red #7 illegally feints at the end of her run up. At the same as the illegal fient, the blue GK sticks her tongue out to unfairly distract the opponent. The penalty is scored. What is your decision?

An IDFK is awarded to the defending team. The kick taker is cautioned. I'm a little baffled by how sticking the tongue out is an offense, but I guess you can caution it for UB if you wanted too. It doesn't change the restart which is always an IDFK after an illegal feint.

2. You whistle for blue #9 to take a penalty kick. After the kick has been taken, as the ball moves forward, a fan wearing a blue T-shirt enters the field. The fan does not prevent the red GK from playing the ball. The fan touches the ball on its way into the net. The penalty is scored. What is your decision?

How a fan getting between the posts and not interfering with the goalkeeper is even possible is beyond me, but the laws say this is a goal.

An IDFK is awarded to the defending team. The kick taker is cautioned. I'm a little baffled by how sticking the tongue out is an offense, but I guess you can caution it for UB if you wanted too. It doesn't change the restart which is always an IDFK after an illegal feint.

How a fan getting between the posts and not interfering with the goalkeeper is even possible is beyond me, but the laws say this is a goal.

Am sure its a goal if the **outside agent** touches ball and it goes into their (own) goal, however, if it goes into the **opponents** goal then play is stopped. I guess you would need to determine if blue t shirt meant they were on the blue teams side, as the outside agent cannot legally touch a ball which is going into their opponents goal....
Unless I have misread the question :(

Am sure its a goal if the **outside agent** touches ball and it goes into their (own) goal, however, if it goes into the **opponents** goal then play is stopped. I guess you would need to determine if blue t shirt meant they were on the blue teams side, as the outside agent cannot legally touch a ball which is going into their opponents goal....
Unless I have misread the question :(

I guess how the law is written leaves that open. I find it strange that the LOTG are written in a way to require the referee to determine which team an outside agent supports and has different outcomes.

I just going on the fact the OP makes reference to blue and blue. Certainly if it was a blue sub who should be off the park who runs on and touches the ball it would not be a goal, whereas if the blue sub touched the ball rolling into his own goal then it would be a goal. Suppose we need to define "outside agent" to be sure.
If the highly unlikely senario was to take place, and a blue t shirted guy ran on and touched the ball which was rolling into the net, I think I would disallow it. For right or wrong.

If we change blue t shirt, for blue t shirt AND blue scarf do we get a different outcome, or blue replica strip?

(I have a really bad connection so can't reply or copy/paste).

#1. Why is illegal feinting always an IDFK? The LotG have the passage about "a more serious offence e.g. Illegal feinting" but that is so weird... What is the order of seriousness, more serious than what... Surely there are GK offences more serious than feinting?

#2. Yes, you nailed it. The relevant passage in the LotG talks about outside agents and then "the opponents' goal". Surely an outside agent cannot have an opponent - surely we cannot decide which side a fan, dog, beach ball is batting for...? This same passage appears 3 times in LotG update from 2017 (yellow underline)... IIRC... This looks like a copy/paste mistake to me... Is there another explanation?

#1. Why is illegal feinting always an IDFK? The LotG have the passage about "a more serious offence e.g. Illegal feinting" but that is so weird... What is the order of seriousness, more serious than what... Surely there are GK offences more serious than feinting?
Talking about the specific (standard) infractions during a penalty kick?

Illegal feinting is top dog (typically).

There's a bit in the new 17-18 Laws breaking this series down, and the logic behind it is:
* If there's an illegal feint and a goal is scored, it's not really all that relevant what the GK did in terms of encroachment, so YC/IFK
* If there's an illegal feint and no goal is scored, then if the GK encroaches, it was sufficient to deny the goal, so YC/YC/Retake

Talking about the specific (standard) infractions during a penalty kick?

Illegal feinting is top dog (typically).

There's a bit in the new 17-18 Laws breaking this series down, and the logic behind it is:
* If there's an illegal feint and a goal is scored, it's not really all that relevant what the GK did in terms of encroachment, so YC/IFK
* If there's an illegal feint and no goal is scored, then if the GK encroaches, it was sufficient to deny the goal, so YC/YC/Retake
IIRC the law doesn't list other "infractions" ... There's no list... That's what makes it so odd...

You're correct. That is a little strange. An illegal feint is always an IDFK+YC. What other offense does the kick taker make that requires a YC + retake if they offend at the same time with the GK?

You guys are misreading the bit in law 14 about the opponents' goal. It doesn't refer to the opponents of the outside agent, it comes after the mention of a defender playing the ball - and refers to the goal belonging to the opponents of the defender or in other words, the goal at the opposite end from where the penalty is being taken.

As far as I can tell, it's there to cover the unlikely event of the defender stopping the ball going into their own net by kicking the ball the length of the field and into the opponent's goal.

As far as I can tell, it's there to cover the unlikely event of the defender stopping the ball going into their own net by kicking the ball the length of the field and into the opponent's goal.

The laws explicitly cater for the circumstance where a goalkeeper takes a corner and is the next player to touch the ball, with his hands, in his own penalty area. So the idea that they cater for a defender scoring a 100 yard screamer having just cleared off their own line is no great surprise.

You guys are misreading the bit in law 14 about the opponents' goal. It doesn't refer to the opponents of the outside agent, it comes after the mention of a defender playing the ball - and refers to the goal belonging to the opponents of the defender or in other words, the goal at the opposite end from where the penalty is being taken.

Thanks Peter. They could make that wording clearer, but that makes sense.
What about the "e.g. Illegal feinting" line-what do you make of that?

1. Tell the penalty taker to get a grip. Next thing you know they'll complain that a spectator was rude to them, shouting something like "who ate all the pies", it's really unfair, all they want to do is score their first ever goal, and people are being so horrible. #Snowflake. IDFK and YC for the feint.
2. #SpiritOfTheGame - retake.

Back