A&H

A new reason to moan/rant

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Even after 500+ matches - someone will do something that takes you by surprise.

O/A Women's league game - I was senior AR.

Corner in other hal f(my side) - defending team's manager starts shouting 'Lino, lino stick your flag up, that balls 2 metres!:eek: outside the quadrant! Flag flag'

OK I'm thinking

a) I can't even see the quadrant but
b) Its certainly NOT '2 metres' outside
c) No buzzers, but anyway not my job to police corners 50 yards away
d) Not going to make any difference to the game

Of course attacking side score form the corner - manager goes mad, ref has to come over to calm him down

Anyone else has this rather bizarre complaint from benches?

The Referee Store
Not had it before as AR or been told about it as referee.

As referee I do frequently check ball placement on far side to AR though. I have caught a few players but mostly because there is more grass outside the 'quadrant'.

As AR I once flagged a ball placement on the other half (same touchline as me). It was clearly placed well more than one yard out. Close to two yards. The ref said it's on the line. It was a BIG quadrant :)

I can't think of ever having any problems at corners, either as an AR or referee, except maybe some defenders who get a bit too close and have to be told to move back.

That manager must have had his binoculars out to see from that distance, assuming he was at or near the half way line.

I can't think of ever having any problems at corners, either as an AR or referee, except maybe some defenders who get a bit too close and have to be told to move back.

That manager must have had his binoculars out to see from that distance, assuming he was at or near the half way line.

I was at halfway line and he was behind me!:confused:

A bloke aside me at Bramall Lane the other week was bleating about the ball out of the quadrant, I put him straight that it had to clip the line, I even googled him a pic ⚔️ 👀

A bloke aside me at Bramall Lane the other week was bleating about the ball out of the quadrant, I put him straight that it had to clip the line, I even googled him a pic ⚔️ 👀

Fellow fans on a site I go on have taken 'bleating' to a whole new level SF re the encroachment!

Right thing to do is just carry on I think. If you can’t see it yourself, you’d have looked a bit silly flagging to find out the manager was actually wrong and you’d listened to him

Incidentally, referee Graham Scott was seen to hold up a Wolves corner for a few seconds whilst he ran over and checked the ball was "in the quadrant" during their match with Newcastle United last night. The usual deluge of boos and whistles from the crowd accompanied this.

Good on him I say. :D

Right thing to do is just carry on I think. If you can’t see it yourself, you’d have looked a bit silly flagging to find out the manager was actually wrong and you’d listened to him

Exactly! Lo and behold - ref checked next one and that was fine and looked in a VERY similar position to me!

We are seeing it more and more in televised games that players are moving the ball further and further away from the flag so a fraction of the ball is touching the white line (legal)

They're not doing it to get extra distance on the kicks they're doing it for more space (a lot of grounds you're actually running up a bit of a slope)

Easy solution is to make the arch bigger.

They still ask me for my decision before the refs actually call it. I called the Ayala one last night within 1 second of itlandind and mentioned he’d already being booked, a good 10 seconds before the little dwarf despatched him... they’d all forgot the first one, Smug Yorkie ref hadn’t ! 😂

They still ask me for my decision before the refs actually call it. I called the Ayala one last night within 1 second of itlandind and mentioned he’d already being booked, a good 10 seconds before the little dwarf despatched him... they’d all forgot the first one, Smug Yorkie ref hadn’t ! 😂

Although Ayala's red is non debatable, Pulis had the nerve to blame the ref for last nights result. Jesus Christ Tony, have some dignity! We were s**t!

Back