A&H

A mornings observations.....

Padfoot

The Persecuted One
Not having a game this morning, and not assessing....thought i would take a wander around my local multi pitch venue and see what was on offer.

Saw 2 of the worst disciplined teams in the local OA league......on separate pitches.

First one was being presided over by a very experienced, very mature, level 5....who i have worked with on many occasions but not seen for a fair while now.
Well.....i can see why one of the teams is so poorly disciplined if they are allowed to get away with what they got away with today.......I would have had 2 off in the first half alone....VC and 2 yellows for dissent...easiest cards ever....
Blue 16 screams at referee from 30 yards "What the F**king hell did you blow your f**ing whistle for..." then 10 mins later screams out in protest at another decision.....neither occasion was dealt with by any action from the ref.
Blue 10 gets fouled on halfway line, jumps up shouting and swearing, grabs hold of his opponent, who was sill on all 4s trying to get up, around the neck, shouting into his face......gets a quick chat and told to calm down.....

Other team......
Had a player sent off inside the first 10 mins for headbutting an opponent......
For most the 2nd half, one of the coaches continuously and loudly berated the referee at every decision......shouted and swore at the opposing coaches and CAR (who happened to be another level 5 ref watching his lad play) and just generally being an absolute ****.
The referee was a young level 7 and it was painful to watch his confidence drain away as the half progressed.....to the point where the away side should have had a stonewall penalty, was raising his whistle to his mouth then gobby started shouting from the touchline and he lowered his whistle and gave nothing.
Of course, 2 mins later the home side went down the other end, and with help from a GK error scored what was the only goal of the game.
At full time, gobby was then squaring up to all and sundry etc etc......

I had a quiet word with the ref on the walk over to the changing rooms and just suggested that he might like to consider reporting the coach..which he was already planning to do.....when gobby himself walked past and had the cheek to say to the ref that he hoped he wasn't going to go telling anyone that he had been a naughty boy!

The really sad thing is that i know this coach personally, and have done for a number of years....and he considers himself a devout christian and is very active within his church community!

Just makes me wonder whether discipline is once again on a downward spiral?

The Referee Store
Padders!!
You're back!!
I feared you dead. Well, we all did. Where you been then? :)

Not having a game this morning, and not assessing....thought i would take a wander around my local multi pitch venue and see what was on offer.

Saw 2 of the worst disciplined teams in the local OA league......on separate pitches.

First one was being presided over by a very experienced, very mature, level 5....who i have worked with on many occasions but not seen for a fair while now.
Well.....i can see why one of the teams is so poorly disciplined if they are allowed to get away with what they got away with today.......I would have had 2 off in the first half alone....VC and 2 yellows for dissent...easiest cards ever....
Blue 16 screams at referee from 30 yards "What the F**king hell did you blow your f**ing whistle for..." then 10 mins later screams out in protest at another decision.....neither occasion was dealt with by any action from the ref.
Blue 10 gets fouled on halfway line, jumps up shouting and swearing, grabs hold of his opponent, who was sill on all 4s trying to get up, around the neck, shouting into his face......gets a quick chat and told to calm down.....

Other team......
Had a player sent off inside the first 10 mins for headbutting an opponent......
For most the 2nd half, one of the coaches continuously and loudly berated the referee at every decision......shouted and swore at the opposing coaches and CAR (who happened to be another level 5 ref watching his lad play) and just generally being an absolute ****.
The referee was a young level 7 and it was painful to watch his confidence drain away as the half progressed.....to the point where the away side should have had a stonewall penalty, was raising his whistle to his mouth then gobby started shouting from the touchline and he lowered his whistle and gave nothing.
Of course, 2 mins later the home side went down the other end, and with help from a GK error scored what was the only goal of the game.
At full time, gobby was then squaring up to all and sundry etc etc......

I had a quiet word with the ref on the walk over to the changing rooms and just suggested that he might like to consider reporting the coach..which he was already planning to do.....when gobby himself walked past and had the cheek to say to the ref that he hoped he wasn't going to go telling anyone that he had been a naughty boy!

The really sad thing is that i know this coach personally, and have done for a number of years....and he considers himself a devout christian and is very active within his church community!

Just makes me wonder whether discipline is once again on a downward spiral?

In personal experience these 'Devout Christian' types are not nice people at all, in many, many different ways.

Suppose if you so heartily seek out spiritual guidance you must be missing it from within to start with.

I did a church league game yesterday morning, gave a penalty 10 mins in the player who fouled is gobbing off at the player for an apparent dive and as settling in for penalty I start checking everyone is outside box and D, I glance at the player who conceded the penalty and he gives me the ****er sign, now I am not sure who else this could be at but me, but I felt inclined to ask him was that aimed at me, (already going to send him off as the only thing behind me was a fence about 30 yards away. he said yes you ****ing *****! Wonderful start to the game, in fairness to the rest of the team once I had explained what happened they apologised for his behaviour

Had it today

2 yellows for dissent 30 seconds apart and the player was off. Cue 10 other players and bench screaming that they've never been cautioned for that sort of reaction before

Silly sod gave his name as Steven Gerrard too!

I appear to be the ONLY ref on my Sunday league with a card count > 1 card per game and judging by the dissent and attitude of the teams, this just shows its down to weak refereeing where refs are more interested in being mates than reffing the match

Still I shall never stop applying the laws. Someone's got to :rolleyes:

Had it today

2 yellows for dissent 30 seconds apart and the player was off. Cue 10 other players and bench screaming that they've never been cautioned for that sort of reaction before

Silly sod gave his name as Steven Gerrard too!

I appear to be the ONLY ref on my Sunday league with a card count > 1 card per game and judging by the dissent and attitude of the teams, this just shows its down to weak refereeing where refs are more interested in being mates than reffing the match

Still I shall never stop applying the laws. Someone's got to :rolleyes:

I had a conversation with a last weeks' ref on here who told me I was 'boasting' about my card count.

It probably did seem excessive to his 6 yellow and no red in 36 games. Most of which were OA.

But I was the one in the wrong.

All the usual phrases about 'managing players' came out, but I'm sorry at that you're clearly missing mandatory cautions.

If people want to be spoken to like **** then so be it but it's not fair on next weeks ref who is happy to follow law and doesn't fancy being abused at an unholy hour on a Sunday. Can't stomach refs like that.

It's all an argument about 'match control' until you're assaulted by a player because he had an expectation that he can get away with what he wants

I was punched by a player whom I sent off for sayin 'I'm going to see you in the car park after and I'm going to **** you up' to an opposition player. He's currently on a 1 year ban. When j next reffed his team he was there at the end of the match and he came up to me and apologised profusely for his actions, and explained that he had never even been spoken to before for making such comments which he did on an almost weekly basis and he had a 'rush of blood'.

So thanks to those 40/50 refs who had gone before me and not taken any action over this players comments, I took a punch for the good of the game.

That's why it's important to follow the law

Next weeks ref could be a 14 year old kid and you could be the reason he chucks his ref kit in the bin the following week and we miss out on the next Howard Webb or Pierluigi Collina.

Back