A&H

A Madrid v Chelsea

Ryanj91

I'm struggling to see how that wasn't offside.

The ball was kicked onto the A Madrid player from about 10cm away. How on earth is that an deliberate attempt to play the ball?

The Referee Store
Delete this 😂😂😂

Finally (22 mins later) they've shown an angle that shows it didn't even touch the Chelsea player. So goal is fine

Walton is chatting nonsense again as he said the Chelsea player hit it onto the defender.

Why did it take 22 mins for them to show the goal properly? Urgh the VAR replay rules are weird.

Honestly I thought the same, you were not alone! Bizarre it took them so lomg to give it and so lomg to show us the replay that cleared it all up

This is it here.

From that angle and the other angle it looked like the Chelsea player flicked it over to Giroud.

Walton was like. Yeah the Chelsea player has passed it to Giroud, but it took a deflection off the defender so it's onside.

VAR took 3 mins to decide. Was very bad viewing.

22 mins later they showed a different angle, which shows the Chelsea player didn't touch it through to Giroud, so it was onside.
Screenshot_20210224_081302.jpg

Going against every principle I have by praising VAR, but this is an example of where the PL gets it right by at least showing us what the referee/VAR is looking at. Unquestionably the right decision, but the 3 minutes waiting with no replays being shown looked terrible.

Going against every principle I have by praising VAR, but this is an example of where the PL gets it right by at least showing us what the referee/VAR is looking at. Unquestionably the right decision, but the 3 minutes waiting with no replays being shown looked terrible.

or, if you're going to do that, you need to immediately show the right angle after giving the decision so we know why!

What are BT paying Walton for? :redcard:

To be fair, at the point he and everyone watching had no clue what had happened as we'd not seen a replay so he guessed and got it quite badly wrong!

Based on the time taken to do the review I assumed it was a really close call when in reality it seemed very clear cut.

To be fair, at the point he and everyone watching had no clue what had happened as we'd not seen a replay so he guessed and got it quite badly wrong!

Based on the time taken to do the review I assumed it was a really close call when in reality it seemed very clear cut.
Yeh, but even if his version of events was correct its factually wrong in law. If the ball deflects off an opponent after being played by the attacker it would still be offside.

Yeh, but even if his version of events was correct its factually wrong in law. If the ball deflects off an opponent after being played by the attacker it would still be offside.
Walton literally just tries to justify the decision made however he can. One of my biggest pet peeves is when they go 'what did you make of that Peter?'

Walton literally just tries to justify the decision made however he can. One of my biggest pet peeves is when they go 'what did you make of that Peter?'

i think thats just refs in general isnt it? we always try and back up what the refs done

i think thats just refs in general isnt it? we always try and back up what the refs done
There's "understanding" what the referee has done and "justifying" it. I'd like to see TV referees focus on trying to help fans with the former, but also be comfortable saying they think that decision's wrong if they have reason to suspect it might be. And it's fine to caveat that with "And based on this angle opposite the view the referee had/slowed right down/zoomed in, we can in fact see that X happened and therefore the initial decision was wrong and they should have done Y instead."

In reality, we tend to see justification regardless of the evidence in front of our eyes. And as much as I enjoy the VAR threads by Dale Johnson on twitter, he does tend to fall into this camp as well, so it's not just referees that are guilty of this!

i cant remember who said it, but i saw recently a comment that refs either back up other refs, or refs slaughter other refs and there's not much in between and i think that's pretty accurate. whether its walton/clattenburg or any other ref on tv, in a newspaper or in their autobiographies.

obviously they need to be right in law and walton definitely messed up here

i cant remember who said it, but i saw recently a comment that refs either back up other refs, or refs slaughter other refs and there's not much in between and i think that's pretty accurate. whether its walton/clattenburg or any other ref on tv, in a newspaper or in their autobiographies.

obviously they need to be right in law and walton definitely messed up here
I think as a general rule that's what I see on social media.
Ironically a lot of it happens in ref "support" s page which is a shame.

I think we get a balanced view from the regulars here which even if we don't perhaps agree with one another, I dont think we have blind support or extreme bashing. But I think this board is am exception and what you say there is probably an accurate assessment of what takes place elsewhere

I think we get a balanced view from the regulars here which even if we don't perhaps agree with one another, I dont think we have blind support or extreme bashing. But I think this board is am exception and what you say there is probably an accurate assessment of what takes place elsewhere

to an extent yeah though there's still plenty of slaughtering going on!

On 'my' fans website I do try to explain a decision to the masses on there, and they are genuinely grateful, but if I think a decision is wrong or more importantly can't figure out how it was/was not given I'll say so.

I'm always having to explain the use or not of yellow cards - fans seem to think they have to be even, but two QPR related decisions I have criticised were the non sending off away v Brentford that even my Brentford supporting ref friend on here couldn't understand (Letter of apology received by the club) and a blatant handball away v Cardiff (Both ref and AR with a good view)

Pointless trying to backup decisions that you think are wrong, but equally there is a lot about the laws and applying them that most fans haven't got a clue about.

Back