A&H

A goal or no goal?

The Referee Store
Im not sure as I thought if the ball crossed the goal line from but in an incorrect way then it would be a goal kick, thats my way of thinking of it...

Im not sure as I thought if the ball crossed the goal line from but in an incorrect way then it would be a goal kick, thats my way of thinking of it...

But what's incorrect about it? Everything here is correct IN LAW

You're correct in the case of a drop ball which you may be thinking of here*. It wasn't obvious if this was from a drop ball or throw in. By the reaction I suspect it wasn't a drop ball .

* There are others, but this is the relevant one here

You're correct in the case of a drop ball which you may be thinking of here. It wasn't obvious if this was from a drop ball or throw in. By the reaction I suspect it wasn't a drop ball.
The commentators clearly say that the ball was thrown-in to the player who then kicks it into the goal. This is a legal goal, if unfortunate in the way it panned out. The referee had no option but to award the goal.

Last edited:
Goal in law as from a throw in

Nothing the ref can do but I don't think he should spent so long talking to the bench. Perhaps a courtesy comment nothing wrong in law so nothing he can do. Kick off, restart game.

He has made the whole situation worse by spending 4 mins justifying it.

What would happen though if the manager had called his side off. Do you try to persuade them out, game abandoned or wait for them to calm down??

A goal has been scored off a pass back after orange had put it out for a throw and obviously white scored off it so orange should been aloud to score it was just poor sportsmanship

Goal in law as from a throw in

Nothing the ref can do but I don't think he should spent so long talking to the bench. Perhaps a courtesy comment nothing wrong in law so nothing he can do. Kick off, restart game.

What would happen though if the manager had called his side off. Do you try to persuade them out, game abandoned or wait for them to calm down??
Well, from what I understood based on the commentary, the manager did call his side off the field. They didn't all go all the way completely off the pitch but they all congregated over by the bench area and various of the team officials also came onto the pitch as did some stewards and who knows who else.

So I don't think the referee could ignore it or defuse it with just one quick comment. It's difficult to be sure but I think most of his time was probably taken up trying to persuade them not to abandon the match. If it were me, I wouldn't have just waited for them and to persuade them, I'd have said something along the lines of, "If you abandon the match you will almost certainly face a fine, you will probably forfeit the match and possibly get a points deduction as well. Do you really want to do that?"

Of course all that might not necessarily be 100% certain but it's probably close enough to the likely outcome that I wouldn't feel any compunction about saying it.

The commentators clearly say that the ball was thrown-in to the player who then kicks it into the goal. This is a legal goal, if unfortunate in the way it panned out. The referee had no option but to award the goal.

No speakers. Thanks for the clarification ;)

You're correct in the case of a drop ball which you may be thinking of here*. It wasn't obvious if this was from a drop ball or throw in. By the reaction I suspect it wasn't a drop ball .
This was incorporated into the LOTG (Law 8) a few years ago in a feeble attempt to deal with this type of scenario. The problem is that it only addresses the scenario when the dropped ball is kicked DIRECTLY into the goal. As soon as there is a second touch, deflection or whatever it is irrelevant.

Foul throw

As mentioned previously, a dangerous thing to do at that level with every game being videoed

Also, the amount of time that the player had the ball at his feet, coupled with the amount of time it took to actually reach the goal.....means it simply wouldn't be a credible decision to flag after the ball had entered the goal.

As mentioned previously, a dangerous thing to do at that level with every game being videoed

Also, the amount of time that the player had the ball at his feet, coupled with the amount of time it took to actually reach the goal.....means it simply wouldn't be a credible decision to flag after the ball had entered the goal.

@Padfoot would you have a nailed on caution for the 'scorer' for USB?

Surely the very definition? :confused::hmmm:

I'd argue quite the opposite. Instead of restarting the game when the other team are all angry about the goal, and facing any possible consequences of that (stupid tackles being made, violent conduct etc.), everyone's had the time to calm down and got on with the game.

As for the manager wanting to take his players off the field of play, let him. Not your problem. But as @Peter Grove has said already, you'd be best off reminding him of the ramifications of taking such an reactionary approach, and persuading him that it might be in the best interests of his own club, and the game in general, were he to recommend to said players that they maintain the status quo until you, as the referee, terminate the match upon expiration of the duration of said match.

I am surprised there are not more who would like to sell a foul throw... any other reasons to blow as you see the flight of the ball... ?

Back