A&H

A game today - no shin pads.

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Womens uni game today.

Team A losing 2-0, approx ten mins after the second goal im by the touchline and the manager of the losing team says "Eh ref that substitute who scored the second goal has been playing with no shinnies on"

I asked him why he had not mentioned it when she came on the pitch and only mentioned it after she had scored the goal, he told me it was my responsibility and was a health and safety issue.

Anyway game passed all shook hands until manager comes on the pitch towards me (he never once made any effort to shake hands)

He repeats again "eh ref she never had any blah blah"

I told him once again he had only brought it up as she had scored and they had lost.

I told him him to leave the pitch and walk away from me, four, five, six times, he made no effort to do so, i told him we could do it the easy way or the hard way, il ask you one last time to walk away again he didnt. he told me "I was a joke"

Ok well do it this way, come here please, he then started walking away.

I showed him a red card, in hindsight a yellow was probably the right call looking back at it.

Any other tips, advice on the situation.

He didn't swear at me by the way, il add that.

The Referee Store
Having it been brought to your attention the player had no shinpads on, ask her to leave pitch and get shinpads, not to return onto the pitch until you have checked she now has shinpads.

any issues prior to being advised, a " sorry, I never noticed',

what impact she had in the game prior to this does not matter.

its surely the same as during the gane you notice a player with a ring.

re the end, I would simply walk away from him, of course I have no idea of the logistics involved. He followe me, thats weird, he shouts, gets louder, easy to justify sanctions.

thats my go at it, see what others come up with

No liners by the way and about five subs each.

I never said this to him but im thinking this isnt the Premier League, im getting £30 for this.

I personally would have acted upon the info being brought to my attention and perhaps not even said a word to this manager, just go straight to the player. This replying seems to have opened the gate for what happened in the end.

A player cannot play withhout shinpads and the referee is responsible for that.

Stop the game ask them to leave FOP to get a pair. If none and they can't borrow then a sub will need to come on.

This of course does not excuse his behaviour.

No liners by the way and about five subs each.

I never said this to him but im thinking this isnt the Premier League, im getting £30 for this.
Well, sure, but yes you should have checked for shin guards, and certainly should have checked when told a player wasn't wearing any.

Of course that doesn't excuse his behavior a whit, and as @JamesL already noted, coming onto the field to confront the ref is a send off offense, even at the end of full time. He, of course, didn't care about an opponent's safety, he was just looking for something to whine about. But you don't have to take the bait--you don't gain anything by pointing out the obvious that he is only complaining because the player scored. All comments like that can do escalate. We're in charge; we don't have to win arguments. So I'd suggest you consider not responding to such nonsense in the future.

I had similar last season with a team insisting that player had no guards on. He did, they were just tiny like Grealish uses.

Could the same have been the case here perhaps, or were they definitely absent?

He tells you the player has no shinpads on, thank him for pointing it out, check to see whether the player does have pads on or not, ask the player to leave the field to put them on. Restart play. Assuming the player's pads have materialised by the next stoppage, go over to check that they've now got them on, allow them back on the field, and restart play. If the manager tries to make a bigger deal of it at any point after you've thanked him for noticing it, then deal with him as necessary.

Maybe a lot of the reply's saying its my responsibility to check for shin guards are used to reffing at a higher level where you will have an assistant maybe even a 4th official and you're only seeing on average 3-4 subs.

This was roll on roll off subs and i was on my own, if you can honestly say you check shin pads, jewellery every time a sub is made then i take my hat off to you.

I should have checked after he informed me i accept that, i did a visual check from aprox 20 yards away and looked good but yes i should have checked the one individual.

I referee grassroots on my own and in my league it's procedure to line up both teams (subs incl) on the halfway line before ko. You inspect and make sure everyone has shinpads and check for jewellery etc. After this get the 2 captains to stay for a toss and away you go. Not sure what it's like in your league but where I am it's very manageable, everyone knows the drill and that helps.

Ive never once seen this done when its one man in the middle on his own.
There are two ways to do it. Firstly you trot to the half way line to check the player.
Second is you get the substitute to trot to you.
I'm assuming that this was a BUCS game? If so I don't think return substitutes are allowed and the rules state that subs must be named, so as per law, only named subs can take part so you should be checking this as well.

FOO 8.1 Premier Tier league matches and National Championship knockout competition matches A maximum of three substitutions will be allowed from a maximum of five named substitutes. If a National Championship knockout fixture goes into extra time, then a fourth substitution is permitted, whether or not the team has already used the maximum number (three) of permitted substitutes. Players who have been substituted will not be permitted to return to the match, i.e. rolling substitutions are not permitted.

FOO 8.2 Tier 1 and below league matches and National Trophy/Conference Cup/Conference Trophy/Conference Shield knockout competition matches A maximum of five substitutions will be allowed from a maximum of five named substitutes. Players who have been substituted will not be permitted to return to the match, i.e. rolling substitutions are not permitted.

Back