A&H

7.9 for AR or not?

What you mean is it’s what you wanted to hear rather than being told you’re talking ******** expecting a AR to be penalised for something that he couldn’t be expected to call given the wider context of the game.

There was no expectation of anyone being penalized, it was a senario where I was looking for input as to folks thoughts on the basis the AR DOES miss the goal but then a goal is scored, do we exonerate the AR on the first incident because of what happens next.

Not at any point was I concerned about your input re the AR being on the goal line, or asking the AR to do anything more than he did, it was your own free choice to add those points into a post, of which you are welcome to do but imo they are not relevant to my original post. In black and white, the question was, IF the AR DOES err in not awarding a goal here, do we forgive and forget because milliseconds later a goal IS scored. that was my question, nothing more, nothing less.
Fortunately, some posters are in tune with my post, and, as expected, some are not. And that's entirely their prerogative

Last edited:
The Referee Store
It was a goal. And the AR was doing his job well. Move on I say. Did he miss it? Yes he did? Did he get bailed out? Yes. Should he be deducted any sort is just nonsense. If I had to only observe this one clip of this AR I would give him a 9.33

I get what you are asking. Here are my thoughts. I'm not an assessor so take it for what it is worth.
Hypothetically assuming a similar situation only it is an actual goal
1. AR was in proper position for the most part (although it looked like he was even with 3LD based upon lines on the field when the shot was taken).
2. AR reacted like he should following the shot.
3. AR hesitated only slowed his run hesitating slightly when the keeper played the ball then looked to speed up again.

Only thing I see here is the slight hesitation which I would call this unreasonable. It was a very slight slowing. I wouldn't hit him for this regardless of the eventual goal. Can't teleport to the line and I think he did a pretty decent job here.

Now say a 2nd hypothetical. Same thing (ball is an actual goal) BUT the AR stops or doesn't follow the shot thereby missing the goal. Now I think we have something different. Not following the shot or stopping assuming the GK will get the ball without incident. You should follow the shot in and if he did not and a goal was missed then I do not believe the eventual scoring of the goal saves him. If it is a missed KMI AND he did not do what he should have done (positioning, not following, etc.) then I think marking him down is the right thing.

.... but I'm not an assessor so what do I know? ;)

Back