A&H

6th second pen!!

The Referee Store
It was this season so should be a yellow card as it resulted in a penalty and was a genuine attempt to play the ball.

He's made a complete Horlicks of the clearance and cynically brings the down the man, not even near a genuine challenge for the ball.RC still for me!!

Penalty and I would say yellow. The ref would not have been close to the play unless he was Usain Bolt and from my first viewing I thought yellow

Just watched it again and although the ref wasnt on top of the incident he wasnt that far away but the more I watch I still see yellow

It's clearly a desperate attempt to get the ball, but that's what he's trying to do imo

Red here, if given in the football league, would get overturned

It's clearly a desperate attempt to get the ball, but that's what he's trying to do imo
Certainly it's desperate but could it still be a genuine attempt? In the circumstances I'd expect the defender to make a challenge and at least he has tried to make a tackle rather than blatantly trip, hold or push his opponent. I'd give the defender the benefit of the doubt and go with a yellow card and penalty.

For me it's a classic example of a player who miscontrols the ball and then makes a desperate attempt to win it back to atone for his mistake. We've all done it (or at least, I know I have) and on the couple of occasions I did this it was always in an attempt to win the ball back that I'd stupidly given away. So for me, based on my personal experience anyway, I'd like to think it's an attempt to play the ball, however misguided and inevitably doomed to failure.

The challenge was from the side, badly mistimed but he had a genuine chance of playing the ball legally- so a caution rather than a very early bath.

I was at the orginal game, and the replay (this was the replay), and I can honestly say that the 2 referees in these games were the worst refereeing performances I've ever seen. To be fair to the referee in this game, ruled out a second witton goal (would've ended up winning it had it gone ahead), for a push on the Chester centre half. Certainly wasn't an easy call, however.

First of all I want to state that I believe that yellow is correct.

Now for a little story from a few seasons ago before I was a ref.

I was at the opposite end in goal, my team attacked right from the kick off, keeper comes out and clearly DOGSO's. Ref gave him a yellow.

On questioning after the match the ref stated that it would have been a red but let the keeper off because it was so early in the match.

I can see what he meant by that statement but clearly he should not have been saying that to us!

Back