A&H

600!

The Referee Store
Congratulations and thank you for your service 😁🎊

Here's to the next 600.
Couldn't manage 6 mins at the moment (man flu) - came off my Isthmian U18 line yesterday because of it.

Hopefully, fit and raring to go again by Sunday - have 601 and 602 on Thursday afternoon and evening!

Congrats.

(I really, really wish I had kept track, as I just don't have anything other than wild guesses as to how many games I've done. Newbies take note--it's worth tracking. And as long as I'm mentioning it, way too late I started keeping a very simple journal of each game, tracking who I reffed with and trying to have one take away from each game. Helped me a lot for a while as I was working to develop.)

I started keeping records when I got to level 4.
Anything else before that is a guess. I doubt I'm. Anywhere near 600 though.. Ten years in probably looking at about 3 to 400 maybe.

Congrats.

(I really, really wish I had kept track, as I just don't have anything other than wild guesses as to how many games I've done. Newbies take note--it's worth tracking. And as long as I'm mentioning it, way too late I started keeping a very simple journal of each game, tracking who I reffed with and trying to have one take away from each game. Helped me a lot for a while as I was working to develop.)
I just started writing the basics - teams, score, other officials if applicable and kept it up!

Surprised myself its so many - will be 19 years since I qualified next month - didn't know my average games per season was as many as it works out to.

Its probably a few more, I counted tournaments (that I don't do anymore) as 1 game.

At your rate that’s about 4 seasons of service right? 😉 Congrats on the milestone!

They should give you the match ball, just like they did with Tom Brady when he threw his 600th touchdown pass !

Put away the bunting, cancel the brass band, my 'man flu' hasn't got better as quick as I hoped and as I hate pulling out of games last minute, I've told appts officer I can't make it. :(

Thursday is the new big day (hopefully!)

My 600th game on Sunday (All being well).

I've asked the home club for bunting and the referees' appointments officer has promised me a brass band! :p

Congrats. Its be interesting to know how officiating has changed for you across all them games?

Golden whistle when you get to 1000?

Congrats. Its be interesting to know how officiating has changed for you across all them games?

Golden whistle when you get to 1000?
I started out refereeing, as a parent, for my son, when his side had no appointed referee - decided to learn how to do it properly and then refereed on his youth league, almost exclusively, for a few years. Never really interested in promotion/open age - not helped by tales from my neighbour who did the course with me, of grassroots Sunday O/A football!

After a while I got invited to AR on Isthmian U18s and really enjoyed that - working in a three, stadium, more professional set up etc.

From that I started doing womens levels 3 and 4 lines and then became almost exclusivly an AR on lots of different competitions and at local academies.

Its the variety that I enjoy, even now I'm only 'signed up' to Isthmian U18s/U23s as an AR, plus I referee at a local very well known public school (15- 18 year olds) otherwise its just volunteering as the games come up or people ask me to do games - Sunday would have been a Womens National Reserve League middle I was asked to do, for example.

For me quality over quantity with lots of variety is what has kept me interested and enjoying it, but obviously what each of us find 'interesting' and 'enjoyable' is different.

Last edited:
I started out refereeing, as a parent, for my son, when his side had no appointed referee - decided to learn how to do it properly and then refereed on his youth league, almost exclusively, for a few years. Never really interested in promotion/open age - not helped by tales from my neighbour who did the course with me, of grassroots Sunday O/A football!

After a while I got invited to AR on Isthmian U18s and really enjoyed that - working in a three, stadium, more professional set up etc.

From that I started doing womens levels 3 and 4 lines and then became almost exclusivly an AR on lots of different competitions and at local academies.

Its the variety that I enjoy, even now I'm only 'signed up' to Isthmian U18s/U23s as an AR, plus I referee at a local very well known public school (15- 18 year olds) otherwise its just volunteering as the games come up or people ask me to do games - Sunday would have been a Womens National Reserve League middle I was asked to do, for example.

For me quality over quantity with lots of variety is what has kept me interested and enjoying it, but obviously what each of us find 'interesting' and 'enjoyable' is different.
Congrats mate. There is a lot to be said for that approach. Sometimes refereeing feels a bit like being a hamster on a wheel, so having the ability to pick and choose what you do is ideal.

Interesting story. Ultimately I think I will follow a similar pattern in terms of ARing and picking/choosing games once I tire of the promotion etc and have reached a level I believe will be as high as I can/will go.

Interesting story. Ultimately I think I will follow a similar pattern in terms of ARing and picking/choosing games once I tire of the promotion etc and have reached a level I believe will be as high as I can/will go.
Yes that’s the route I’ll take, not sure when. Potter around doing some local games helping out when needed and it suits me, plus do some observing.

Yes that’s the route I’ll take, not sure when. Potter around doing some local games helping out when needed and it suits me, plus do some observing.

Yeah I fancy the observer route eventually. Ref one day and observe on the other. I suppose that once we knock the promotions/attempted promotions on the head for whatever reason (and that becomes more likely for those of us above playing age), then what reason is there to stick at reffing more challenging games. We're alot more likely to AR or pick and choose where we ref. Why would you do a County League middle when you can earn the same money on the line on a Saturday for instance?

Made it!

Very one sided U15s IFSA cup game, did have the added bonus of qualified ARs.

Just trying to not cramp up! before heading out in about half an hour to number 601 - Isthmian U18 line.

Edit - the 2nd game was a cracking game 3-3, a little chilly, but a couple of close 'offside' goals for me to call, both good for me, to keep me warm!

Last edited:
Made it!

Very one sided U15s IFSA cup game, did have the added bonus of qualified ARs.

Just trying to not cramp up! before heading out in about half an hour to number 601 - Isthmian U18 line.

Edit - the 2nd game was a cracking game 3-3, a little chilly, but a couple of close 'offside' goals for me to call, both good for me, to keep me warm!

Just completed my 250th game and thought of this thread. Not even 1/2 way to your total Paul but its sort of a milestone.

A County League game which ended 5-0 with 2 yellows. Easiest game I've ever had. Hope the next 250 are like that (not a chance).

Couldn't manage 6 mins at the moment (man flu) - came off my Isthmian U18 line yesterday because of it.

Hopefully, fit and raring to go again by Sunday - have 601 and 602 on Thursday afternoon and evening!
Is that league good to officiate in? I think I’m in that area and would like to officiate in that league when I’ve completed my course on 1st December?

Congrats.

Next weekend's game is my 99th middle, so will be hitting 100 since returning. Not too shabby. :) It is 112 games total if I count as an A/R. That's with one season cut off by COVID and one season interrupted by surgery.

I've no idea how many games I did pre-return as I never thought to track them sadly, but I'm sure it would be another 100 easily. But I can't really count them.

Progressing really quickly compared to my younger, more free-spirited days.

Is that league good to officiate in? I think I’m in that area and would like to officiate in that league when I’ve completed my course on 1st December?
Yes its fine - well organised and clubs in Middlesex and Surrey areas to choose from.

If you PM me, I can give you referee secretary's details if you like.

Back