A&H

6 second rule

Southend-ref

Southend United Supporter
Level 6 Referee
Anyone ever penalised for it? How long do you wait before you actually give it - only ever seen it once, at the 2006 world cup. I know it annoys me at the end of a Southend game when we're losing (most games!) and the 'keeper takes forever!:mad:

The Referee Store
never penalised for it yet but, if the keeper is clearly time wasting, stepped approach is probably perfect for dealing with it

Yup I've given plenty. Generally when keepers take the Michael. I'll shout a warning, if they still delay then I penalise.

I've done it twice now. Did it when the keeper decided he would take the mick and go get a drink from his goalpost because the manager shouted that it should be full time

I've done it twice now. Did it when the keeper decided he would take the mick and go get a drink from his goalpost because the manager shouted that it should be full time

What was the score at the time? Did a goal result from the IDFK?

What was the score at the time? Did a goal result from the IDFK?
Score was 3-1 to the other team, they didn't get a goal from the IDFK but they did however get one in the closing minute making it 4-1... Goalkeeper deserved it for his attitude

Saw Keith Hackett do it, sure it was Euro 88, from memory it was Italy playing so likely Dino Zoff in first few minutes, both sides got the message as I remember, commentator was a bit bewildered until Keith held 5 spread fingers aloft as a signal, no ambiguity there!

Yes I've done it, like others with a 'rolling hands' gesture to the GK first, but if they took liberties by directing traffic or re-fastening their gloves, then KH set the benchmark years ago for me.

Anyone ever added a yellow card into the mix? - possibly a second yellow?

If so, I can see why the OED defines a gathering of football referees as an 'ORPHANAGE' lol

i can definitely see how you could caution for this after the second or third occasion. if a goalkeeper is stupid enough to keep giving away IFKs for this then he deserves to be cautioned!

I think we need to be sensible when deciding where the 5-seconds start from. Bit unfair to include the GK catching, rolling and standing up!

Got to be - for me - from when he is fully in control of or clutching the football whilst standing on both feet and no longer being threatened/challenged by an opponent.

I normally back off showing him my spread fingers and call '5 from now keeper', they seem to get the jist of that ok

it's not 5 though, it's 6.

the rule is no longer applied literally and does seem to be open to interpretation. for me, it's a case of giving the keeper chance to get the ball under control and then judging whether he is showing intent to distribute. if he's not, for whatever reason, I'll encourage him to get a move on. after that he's on thin ice!

not applied literally by some I agree, your approach sounds perfectly fair and easily understood Richtk, GK's you referee regularly soon get to know where you draw the line

Anyone ever penalised for it? How long do you wait before you actually give it - only ever seen it once, at the 2006 world cup. I know it annoys me at the end of a Southend game when we're losing (most games!) and the 'keeper takes forever!:mad:

I recently had a quiet word with a keeper that he was holding onto the ball too long at kick outs, he looked at me in disgust and his coach said "that rule was done away with years ago, the same time they allowed keepers to come off their line at a penalty!!" Honestly, what chance have you got !!

Seems like in the Premier league they're regularly allowed to take up to 15 seconds to release the ball. Makes me go "grrrrrrr" when you know on a Sunday players'll be in your ear if a keeper holds onto it for longer than 4.

Why do the boys at the top make these rules and then not implement them? Why don't they just change the rules if they think 6 seconds is too short?

For me, it's generally when the last attacker has left the penalty area or is likely to challenge. There are still numptioes who think they can kick the ball as the GK tosses/drops it for the kick.

I'll usually give a shout after about 5 seconds to "play the ball" and then give him about 3 more seconds to get it in before I give him a final warning "Keeper, get the ball into play". After about 12 seconds, I give the IDFK. Hasn't happened often, though, since two warnings seem to get him moving.

Back