A&H

6 minute VAR delay and...

Quoting from the book, "where there is no direct provision in the Laws, the IFAB expects the referee to make a decision within the spirit of the game'.
I get this philosophy and it was the right thing for the game to keep this defender on the pitch, but the Law is reasonably clear in this case, so the philosophy shouldn't be applied. Push, barge, charge are synonyms, so IFAB need to tighten up the wording of the Law rather than causing misunderstanding

The Referee Store
They’ll be allowing aggressive dissent in the Premier League next.... oh wait on, they already do!

I think it's a yellow. He attempted a fair shoulder to shoulder charge and ended up fouling his opponent with a careless charge. This wasn't a push or a pull.

But you make good points about this maybe not being clear and obvious and taking so much time.

Careless is not an attempt to get the ball fairly nor would have been the shoulder charge

Stonewall red, total shambles for the ref to even review that and all the hand theatrics that come with it
Standing trying to chat with var and half the players at the same time, absolute mess
What part of pushing the striker to the floor is a genuine attempt to play that ball?

Had he flashed yellow at a defender for dissent over the award of the initial red then he would look now like Mr Plum from Plumville

Kids, thats a red card for dogso, Despite what you have just seen.....

That's a good way of putting it. He has attempted to play the ball but his assessment of the possibility was inaccurate. He isn't that far off.
View attachment 2310

Thats like saying he tried to stay onside but was just off
Dont matter if he is 5% close to playing the ball or 95%
He cant win the ball, fairly, and its a blatent push.

To anybody even thinking of negating their responsibilty to show a red here because you are deeming some kind of trip to be an attempt for the ball, the push trumps that and could be classed as two offences at same time...

And we know what to do then...

There is no reasoning for a yc here. Other than admitting you have made a bumhole of it

I might have found the why. If you look at the video around 55 seconds in, you can see that the defender trips the opponent before the upper body challenge. I know some on here will argue it wasn't an attempt to play the ball, but the guidance from FIFA for DOGSO has made almost any tripping foul in the penalty area with the ball nearby a yellow.

Of course this is all just a guess since we didn't hear the conversation. I'm guessing the ref told the VAR that the foul was for a charge/push and the VAR showed him the trip occurred first. Feel free to disagree (I'm sure many will :) )

I might have found the why. If you look at the video around 55 seconds in, you can see that the defender trips the opponent before the upper body challenge. I know some on here will argue it wasn't an attempt to play the ball, but the guidance from FIFA for DOGSO has made almost any tripping foul in the penalty area with the ball nearby a yellow.

Of course this is all just a guess since we didn't hear the conversation. I'm guessing the ref told the VAR that the foul was for a charge/push and the VAR showed him the trip occurred first. Feel free to disagree (I'm sure many will :) )
All i see around the 55 second mark is a replay of the attacker being clattered

Playing devils advocate......Terrible first touch by the attacker, his first touch took him away from goal! Then he got clattered / pushed / barged whatever!! Is this a consideration??

Total guff.
Its dogso.
Textbook

The ref and var room should be embarrassed that even this website is debating their failings

Playing devils advocate......Terrible first touch by the attacker, his first touch took him away from goal! Then he got clattered / pushed / barged whatever!! Is this a consideration??

Only if you are finding excuses in your duties and responsibilities as a match official

For those in doubt, the ball is stuck in the attackers feet

In what language can that not be a clear obvious goalscoring chance

Attachments

• IMG_6935.PNG
    IMG_6935.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Ok and is that an attempt for the ball?

There is nothing in this universe or any other universe the defender can do here to win the ball legally

So aff!

I dont see the need for a review

If as referee at that level you dont know thats dogso and a red then you need to question why you are where you are

You have changed tune since post #3.
That and this both seem like you are trying to defend VAR - that's so unlike you!!!!
First it was a careless shoulder charge that should be downgraded to a yellow, now there's a phantom trip.
It seems to me you are clutching at straws here.
This is a clear and obvious failure of the protocol, of VAR/ref communications, and of decision-making, all against the LotG, best practice and common sense.

Is there any doubt in your mind about VAR here? Do you think there is a chance they might have got this wrong?

Is there any doubt in your mind about VAR here? Do you think there is a chance they might have got this wrong?

I said in my first post that I didn't think it was clear and obvious and it took too much time. But naturally you couldn't help but make a personal post against me for about the 20th time.

My 2nd post in this thread was simply me trying to analyze why the VAR got involved and they overturned the red card, but once again you took a post I simply meant to be analytical and have made it personal against me.

Back