A&H

6 games in a week!

Aaron Aven

Level 7 Referee
Had a game yesterday, and one this evening. Both of which went extremely well with no problems! :D
Got another game tomorrow, two on Saturday and one on Sunday, so 6 games this week in total! I'm gonna be knackered by the end of the week:oops:

But I was just curious to know, what's the most amount of games everyone else has had in just one week? Just being a bit nosey, haha:D

The Referee Store
Had 1 game tonight
Got 1 game this coming Saturday.
2 on sunday
1 on Tuesday
3 on wednesday (3 x 50 minute games)
Could of had 2 on Monday but dont have time to get away from uni

I am also going to be knackered

In my opinion, so many games in a week doesnt help anyone. If anything, the bad habits will hinder your game... If you want to improve your game, stick to one, maybe 2 games per week and try to get quality games in rather than quantity. One way of doing this is to offer to be AR on the next league up. Also watch higher level referees on matches in your spare time...pick up some good tips rather than bad habits...

If however your aim is not to progress but just to get extra pocket money.... smash 6 in a week! :(

In my opinion, so many games in a week doesnt help anyone. If anything, the bad habits will hinder your game... If you want to improve your game, stick to one, maybe 2 games per week and try to get quality games in rather than quantity. One way of doing this is to offer to be AR on the next league up. Also watch higher level referees on matches in your spare time...pick up some good tips rather than bad habits...

If however your aim is not to progress but just to get extra pocket money.... smash 6 in a week! :(
Very true! In my local area, not sure about anyone else, but the season is coming to an end so everyone is trying to catch up with as many fixtures as they can! So I've been appointed a few of them but I've also offered to help out as much as I can!

I once did 18 open age games in 21 days. I couldn't walk properly in the 2nd half of the last game. I could jog along the line ... just.

Last season I did 12 games in 11 days, 2 on Saturday, 2 on Sunday, 1 Mon, 1 Wed, 1 Thu, 2 Sat, 2 Sun, 1 Tuesday

This time of year I quite often do 5/6 games a week, 2 midweek and 3 or 4 weekend, Im fat and 50 but still manage a good job, at open age level but still do an awful lot of youth matches

Last edited by a moderator:
How many leagues would you generally have to be in to get this many games a week? I'm only in 2 leagues and can just manage to get 2 games a week..

How many leagues would you generally have to be in to get this many games a week? I'm only in 2 leagues and can just manage to get 2 games a week..

I referee in the Central Ayrshire Youth League, Paisley District Amateurs, Scottish Womens Football League, Club Academy Scotland (Pro Youth) , Strathclyde Churches League (Open Age), West of Scotland YFL and I also ran line in Scottish Junior Football last season too !!!

I was only on 2 leagues but the Saturday league was playing Saturday, Monday and Wednesday and the Sunday league was playing Sunday Tuesday and Thursday. It had been a bad winter and there had been some bad planning by leagues allowing up to 14 teams in a division with no floodlights at any of the grounds, so night games didn't start until April.

I referee in the Central Ayrshire Youth League, Paisley District Amateurs, Scottish Womens Football League, Club Academy Scotland (Pro Youth) , Strathclyde Churches League (Open Age), West of Scotland YFL and I also ran line in Scottish Junior Football last season too !!!
Christ that's alot of leagues! .. I thought that signing up to so many leagues would mean getting double or teble etc booked every week!

Christ that's alot of leagues! .. I thought that signing up to so many leagues would mean getting double or treble etc booked every week!

Never get double booked funnily enough as I'm quite organized and have a good memory lol

Done 10 games in 2 1/2 days (Fri night, sat, sun). Mix of lines and middles, juniors and seniors, culminating in local first grade Sunday afternoon. that was a fairly typical weekend in my old area.

Tournaments can be a killer - that joyous feeling of the Sunday evening when you get home and crash on the sofa with a pint!

Did 12 games in 3 days at a festival last week. Only small sided games but the hard ground was a killer!

Reading all these posts about 5 games in 3 days and 45 games a month etc.

Now I also read posts about GPS clocking up 9K + while refereeing ?

you guys are either cutting corners during these games ?

Or you should be entering IRON MAN competitions or Triathlons , you are displaying a great level of physical fitness ,stamina and great recovery speed ;)
Especially you lot at 35 plus :D

Of course I'm not going to run as hard as I otherwise would - and if I'm going 3-5 games in a day then, especially depending on the grade, I'm really not going to run unless I absolutely have to.
Honestly, it's rarely a problem, I'll still run when I have to, just means I'll pre-empt play more.

Thats the point im making Cptn ...in this scenario your eventually going to preempt a few" easy" games that are gonna turn out to be really tough ones and your gonna struggle both mentally and physically stay on top of things !
Most times when i walk off the pitch knowing i havnt been great ! its when i have underestimated a game a had to work hard to get it back !

Not having a go at anyone for doing multiple games , i have done it myself but when you over do things you can get yourself stuck in the mud a little bit !
Also is it fair to go out there knowing your not gonna put much effort in cause you have 2 bigs games wed and thurs ?

My worst period for games was the end of my first season as a 4.

I did 11 games in 13 days and all were FA appointed games (except one County cup semi-final). I was SHATTERED by the end of it, legs were dead!

Each to their own, I guess.
I referee because I enjoy it. If I did 11 games in 13 days, the enjoyment would go...

One watch out from me. Historically I've been very positive about refs doing multiple games (better a game with a tired ref than one without a ref in my book). However, a week ago, halfway through my fourth game in four days, I tore my left hip rotator muscle .. combination of hard pitches, not enough flexibility generally and a shortened warm up as it was a midweek game .. so be careful out there folks :)

Back