A&H

6 a side leagues

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
I stopped doing these years ago as I just feel they are a waste of time and too much hassle.
I had been bombarded with messages and calls on a daily basis asking to referee at my old home town event which I ended up saying yes to (just for one evening) as on this occasion the money is better than what I have currently.

Oh boy, that was a mistake.

A couple of hours before, I get told to be there 15 minutes early to help set up.
Arrive and the astro used has no pitch markings for individual pitches, goals used in one corner so hav3 to drag them to each spot.
Their are just 2 pitches. I ask the other ref the rules for this league and he says he doesn't know. Great start. Ask the players and they are all conflicting each other. I agreed to a set of rules with them and as long as both teams play to the same ones, we will go home happy.
Cool.
Oh, I have to collect their money too! All £36 from each team. Most pay in coins too. So having to go up and down the pitch jingling all the way like santa.
It's 40 minute time slots, with 20 minutes each way. Erm ok. Even knocking a minute or 2 off, it is still very tight fitting to not just get a game going, but collect fees AND any balls that fly over the fence due to crap shooting.
So first game kicks off late by a couple minutes and I said I'll collect fees at end.
One team doesn't pay and quickly legs it, despite winning comfortably - guess will have their result null and void like other leagues.
Second game team arrives nearly 10 late. So agreed to cut time. Both pay but one pays a couple quid short.
Last game, team fails to show. For me this is typical of these type of leagues these days.

Today, I get a phone call which I missed, and a lengthy text stating that a team I accounted for, the money is not there. My question is, out of 9 paying teams from 10, how has he pin pointed it to one of my teams when all the money at the end of the night goes into one big folder. I know I've not taken it, so I've no issue hanging over my head.
In my reply, I stated all money was emptied into the folder and explained a team didn't pay and why it occurred.
He then replied moaning that he'll never see that money now and I should always collect before the game.

My reply to that was, 40 minute time slots, 40 minute plus half time games, no one knows the rules, have to set up too.
I am a referee, not an organiser.

I said I won't ever be back especially after his accusation, and that if he is so bothered about teams walking off without paying, when I have games to ref, maybe he should come down and collect rather than expect refs to collect and do everything else too whilst he sits at home.

Rant over.
Anyone else had rubbish experience with six a side leagues?

The Referee Store
I've always kept clear of these leagues but heard plenty of tales which match your own experience and more.

I said I won't ever be back especially after his accusation, and that if he is so bothered about teams walking off without paying, when I have games to ref, maybe he should come down and collect rather than expect refs to collect and do everything else too whilst he sits at home.

This is normal practice where they are using college pitches. Referee seems to be well paid, but has to do the admin, collect the cash, etc so the rewards don't look as good. If he has to turn up to collect the cash, then he cannot be enjoying life. :smoke::smoke::smoke::smoke: for him; :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: for you.

I was a resident at Goals years back...3 nights a week, 3 games per night and your not there as referee, you have 2 choices.....bouncer, or just stand back and count the score.....
Would not do it these days, the company just want the games played=custom, understandably.

I've just started an indoor 4 a side league as the only ref. Terrible decision, can't stand it now, definitely not worth the extra money. It's fast paced, but I don't move from the side, so no fitness involved (which is one of the main reasons I referee). The 'laws' are modified and therefore I'm not applying the correct LOTG so I'm not learning. Some teams don't turn up, so I'm not guaranteed the full amount. If anything goes wrong with the venue I get blamed too.

For anyone considering it, don't bother.. Unless you're desperate for money.

Tended to find also, you have a run in with a team, or player and clearly it deserves further action, the team simply moan to reception and threaten not to play there anymore, = less custom

There basically are no rules, other than, stay alive

Back