A&H

6-5 Standard expected

The Referee Store
This. ^^^

There are no "marks" for 7-6 and 6-5. The marks-out-of-70 thing is for Level 4 and above or for a referee being observed on a 5-4 promotion game.

For Level 6-5 you need to satisfy the Observer that you've shown competency in the 6 "performance competencies" listed on their Observer form.
I got marks 7-to-6 & 6-to-5 :egg::moon::p

Well, it doesn't surprise me that there's geographical inconsistency. Assuming you're in England and you got 'standard expected' for all six competencies, that ought to equate to 70 and ought to equate to a 'pass'. If any of those assumptions are not correct, then who knows?
That said, I don't think there is a well above/below standard at 6-to-5. There only above and below (and expected)

That isn't right, the grades are the same at 7 to 6 as 6 to 5, the forms are identical except for the three extra competencies. Five possible grades from well below standard to well above standard. The number that some CFAs might give out as well might relate to the fact that a referee can go from 6 to 5 in a season. Obviously 6 to 5 uses grades and 5 to 4 a mark out of 100, so I think some CFAs associate a mark to a grade so that they can also derive a mark out of 100. Although personally I wouldn't match standard expected to 70, as in doing so you are saying that someone who is the standard expected for a L6 referee is good enough to referee at L4.

Be interested to know what the observers are looking for...
I maybe make the mistake of reffing games the same way, regardless. Maybe I don't care enough, lol...but then again, I'm almost 48!!!
7->6 and 6->5 I've had expected, and am reasonable happy with that, tbh.
Let me ask you this ...

Would you go into an exam without knowing and revising what is on the exam paper? Of course not as you would be setting yourself up to fail. On the same note, why would you go into a game that you might be observed on without knowing what the observer will be looking for? At all levels there are "performance competencies" and you should have been provided with these by your CFA, if you haven't ask them as you need to know these off by heart.

That isn't right, the grades are the same at 7 to 6 as 6 to 5, the forms are identical except for the three extra competencies. Five possible grades from well below standard to well above standard. The number that some CFAs might give out as well might relate to the fact that a referee can go from 6 to 5 in a season. Obviously 6 to 5 uses grades and 5 to 4 a mark out of 100, so I think some CFAs associate a mark to a grade so that they can also derive a mark out of 100. Although personally I wouldn't match standard expected to 70, as in doing so you are saying that someone who is the standard expected for a L6 referee is good enough to referee at L4.
I can only say how my reports were completed...
7-to-6 and 6-to-5 all the same
Only 'below/expected/above' Performance Competencies on the form (although well below/well above may have been 'hidden' from us!). Also a 'degree of difficulty' indication
Likely, the score is just indicative and derived in some basic manner. But yes, I guess a score of 70 7-to-6 or 6-to-5 is not the same as 70 WRT 5-to-4
Anyway, not a big deal

The missed caution on the advantage was for a reckless challenge right? If he tries to do you for a promising attack then he'd be incorrect in law. 😉
We didn't touch on what it was for, I wasn't thinking about that to be honest, the way he spoke about it when he mentioned it made me think it was a standard reckless caution.

No mention of SPA or player running the wing etc...

In the end i got Standard Expected, so I'm happy with that, it's what i had in my head that I'd get but I would have understood Below Standard had that been the mark.

Onto the next one!

I've done 19 already. Two observations so far at expected standard. Sheffield and Hallamshire.

One game to go (already allocated two on Saturday and a week on Saturday). One observation needed - 4 months to get it done in.

How's about you?

All the best refs do their early promotions in Sheffield & Hallamshire 😉 if you get the basics right (jewellery check, pitch inspection, coming over to the halfway line for every sub, briefing the ARs before the game and a quick brief to a new AR if the old was was a sub and has now been subbed on etc then you will be well on your way to getting a standard expected at least). Don't give the observer easy opportunities to take marks off you for not doing any of that stuff. Always find a way to use the stepped approach.

The game itself is just about seeing things and acting accordingly. You may get things right or wrong during the game but these things are unpredictable. All the above are things you can do in every game you're observed in at levels 7/6/5.

Thats what I learnt during my time at S&H and also from here.

If I can chime in on this thread, I'm doing 7-5 as well this season, my first 3 observations were standard expected, above standard and well above standard.

Haven't had anything about being promoted to 6, I had another observation this morning, I feel I know what I'll get for it which I'll be happy with, it wasn't the easiest Sunday league game but then not the most difficult, enjoyable though and gave me enough to deal with for the observer to look at.

He did tell me I missed 2 cautions (one playing an advantage on), and a penalty, so we'll see what comes of it.

Need to get roughly 11 middles in now I believe, and 2 more observations, then I'll have done my 40 middles, 5 lines and all my observations. Unless I don't get the 3rd observation and get in the top 50% of club marks. So we'll see...

Good luck to you all.
Wait, I think something is wrong. In my case I had to do 20 middles and had to be observed 3 times from the 1 August to the 15 December and then they promoted me to the Level 6 (mid-season promotion), now I am operating as L6, and need to do 20 more middles and get observed 3-6 times. I thing they were supposed to promote you in the beginning of the year.

Typically if you are doing double jump you have to get your 20 games and observations in within the first half of the season, then you start again with the second set of games and observations.

It really doesn't matter whether you get something saying 'congrats you are a L6' in the middle of the season or not, as by the end of the season you'll be a 5, assuming you pass the second set of games/observations.

Yes, accelerated promotion is just two promotions seasons condensed into one playing season. 20 games and 3 observations to get to L6, then another 20 games and 3 observations to get to L5. Plus in-service training and LoTG exams in both sections. A lot of CFAs don't offer it anymore.

Back