A&H

6-5 Standard expected

callmemyref

Hello, I’m going 6-5 and I got standard expected from my first observation, did I fail the first observation?
And what marks do I have to get in order to get promoted?

The Referee Store
Hello, I’m going 6-5 and I got standard expected from my first observation, did I fail the first observation?
And what marks do I have to get in order to get promoted?
The whole standard <whatever> business is misleading
They changed it and then changed it back again AFAIK
At 6-to-5, standard expected should mean standard expected of level 5. So it ought to be good enough. Did you score 70 or more?
I'm 5-to-4 and I'm not even sure what the standard <whatever> thing means. I just know I need to average 70+

The whole standard <whatever> business is misleading
They changed it and then changed it back again AFAIK
At 6-to-5, standard expected should mean standard expected of level 5. So it ought to be good enough. Did you score 70 or more?
I'm 5-to-4 and I'm not even sure what the standard <whatever> thing means. I just know I need to average 70+
We don’t have marks out of 10, we have below standard , standard expected , above standard , well above etc

We don’t have marks out of 10, we have below standard , standard expected , above standard , well above etc
Well, it doesn't surprise me that there's geographical inconsistency. Assuming you're in England and you got 'standard expected' for all six competencies, that ought to equate to 70 and ought to equate to a 'pass'. If any of those assumptions are not correct, then who knows?
That said, I don't think there is a well above/below standard at 6-to-5. There only above and below (and expected)

Last edited:
I went 6-5 last season and all that was required from the observations was ‘standard expected’.

Keep doing what you’re doing! 💪🏻

Agree with the above comments, by and large. I'm going for 6 to 5. Have had two observations, both at expected standard. As long as I don't get "well below expected standard", I've passed this element. One further hurdle: the LOTG exam. Fingers crossed!

Agree with the above comments, by and large. I'm going for 6 to 5. Have had two observations, both at expected standard. As long as I don't get "well below expected standard", I've passed this element. One further hurdle: the LOTG exam. Fingers crossed!
How many games have you done , what did you get for your observations and which county are you with ?

I've done 19 already. Two observations so far at expected standard. Sheffield and Hallamshire.

One game to go (already allocated two on Saturday and a week on Saturday). One observation needed - 4 months to get it done in.

How's about you?

I've done 19 already. Two observations so far at expected standard. Sheffield and Hallamshire.

One game to go (already allocated two on Saturday and a week on Saturday). One observation needed - 4 months to get it done in.

How's about you?
I have done 2 games and have been observed twice, I’m on a double jump promotion scheme and was promoted last week. Got standard expected and well above standard expected for my observations. But it looks like it’s possible to do 18 more games and 9 lines in 3.5 months

Double jump promotion? Wow, sounds quite full on! Well above standard is fantastic! I would be delighted with above standard!!!!
Do you think it's unlikely you'll get the number of games in? I've also done 8 lines so far this season, so just missing 1 middle and 2 lines.
Then "just" the LOTG test to pass!!!

Double jump promotion? Wow, sounds quite full on! Well above standard is fantastic! I would be delighted with above standard!!!!
Do you think it's unlikely you'll get the number of games in? I've also done 8 lines so far this season, so just missing 1 middle and 2 lines.
The reason I’m getting high marks is not because I'm good , but because I talk to experienced referees and know what observers want from us, and also try to get easy marks (such as fitness, match control/communication)

when I was going 7-6 in the beginning of the season I got 1xWell Above and 2x above, but unfortunately last week I got standard expected as I allowed the game to be played on unplayable pitch it was unbelievably muddy…

I am university student, and if I will have 7-8 matches done by the end of this month as I don’t have any lessons it will look possible to do lines and middles which I need for my promotion

But it’s not only about getting enough games done, it’s also about recovery , injuries , performance , weather

Be interested to know what the observers are looking for...
I maybe make the mistake of reffing games the same way, regardless. Maybe I don't care enough, lol...but then again, I'm almost 48!!!
7->6 and 6->5 I've had expected, and am reasonable happy with that, tbh.

Be interested to know what the observers are looking for...
I maybe make the mistake of reffing games the same way, regardless. Maybe I don't care enough, lol...but then again, I'm almost 48!!!
7->6 and 6->5 I've had expected, and am reasonable happy with that, tbh.
I think to know what they want is important+to know some of them, easy marks and obviously age, I think they can ignore some mistakes when you are younger , as younger referees still have time to improve and progress all the way up. But if you need any advise feel free to drop me a message. And it’s great to see people your age going for promotion !

If I can chime in on this thread, I'm doing 7-5 as well this season, my first 3 observations were standard expected, above standard and well above standard.

Haven't had anything about being promoted to 6, I had another observation this morning, I feel I know what I'll get for it which I'll be happy with, it wasn't the easiest Sunday league game but then not the most difficult, enjoyable though and gave me enough to deal with for the observer to look at.

He did tell me I missed 2 cautions (one playing an advantage on), and a penalty, so we'll see what comes of it.

Need to get roughly 11 middles in now I believe, and 2 more observations, then I'll have done my 40 middles, 5 lines and all my observations. Unless I don't get the 3rd observation and get in the top 50% of club marks. So we'll see...

Good luck to you all.

If I can chime in on this thread, I'm doing 7-5 as well this season, my first 3 observations were standard expected, above standard and well above standard.

Haven't had anything about being promoted to 6, I had another observation this morning, I feel I know what I'll get for it which I'll be happy with, it wasn't the easiest Sunday league game but then not the most difficult, enjoyable though and gave me enough to deal with for the observer to look at.

He did tell me I missed 2 cautions (one playing an advantage on), and a penalty, so we'll see what comes of it.

Need to get roughly 11 middles in now I believe, and 2 more observations, then I'll have done my 40 middles, 5 lines and all my observations. Unless I don't get the 3rd observation and get in the top 50% of club marks. So we'll see...

Good luck to you all.
The missed caution on the advantage was for a reckless challenge right? If he tries to do you for a promising attack then he'd be incorrect in law. 😉

You need to "average" standard expected across your three observations.

This. ^^^

There are no "marks" for 7-6 and 6-5. The marks-out-of-70 thing is for Level 4 and above or for a referee being observed on a 5-4 promotion game.

For Level 6-5 you need to satisfy the Observer that you've shown competency in the 6 "performance competencies" listed on their Observer form.

Back