A&H

6-5 Promotion

MidlandAR

3F and 3W
Level 3 Referee
Hi,

Just passed the exam at the promotion seminar and was wondering if anybody had any tips to assist with my assessments?

Craig

The Referee Store
Hi Craig,

The best advice we can give is to be yourself treat every game like your normal game don't change anything that way you offer the assessor a real look at your skills, strengths and weaknesses and ways to build on them.

Dave

Hi Darren, it was the same format as 7-6 but alot more trick questions and the way they word the questions can cause you a problem if you do not read it 2/3 times.

1 question that got me though, during a penalty kick, the blue player back heels the ball to a team mate who scores, do you a) allow goal, b) disallow and award indirect free kick to red or c) order a retake.

Straight away I thought about the Henry penalty for Arsenal that went wrong, so ticked allow the goal. I was wrong.

They said 10 people got it wrong on the night and in 2006 they amended the laws of the game to say the ball must go forward on a penalty kick.

The correct answer though was B, disallow the goal and award an indirect free kick!

Tips:

- Referee to law. This does not mean caution every foul but clearly distinguish between careless and reckless.
- Play advantage carefully. As a rule of thumb try to keep it to the final third of the field.
- All substitutions at half-way. Send the player back if needs be.
- Golden Rule: Do this on ALL games, not just assessments. This way it becomes natural and you are not changing the game to suit the assessor.

Tips:

- Referee to law. This does not mean caution every foul but clearly distinguish between careless and reckless.
- Play advantage carefully. As a rule of thumb try to keep it to the final third of the field.
- All substitutions at half-way. Send the player back if needs be.
- Golden Rule: Do this on ALL games, not just assessments. This way it becomes natural and you are not changing the game to suit the assessor.

Thanks for this pal.

I do try and referee all games (even Sunday) like they are assessments (as much as Sunday league players do not appreciate it) and to the law. Going to be a new experience for me refereeing in the Midland Combination this coming season, I think having had a season on the line really helped my development.

In respect of advantage, I as a rule hardly ever play advantage in the defensive third because it is more hassle than its worth and yet on my 7-6 assessment one of my development points was for that reason, not playing advantage in the defensive third! I would have understood if they broke and had 3 against 2 or something but it was a nothing incident!

I have also started only using the whistle for fouls and misconduct etc and not to re start play (was advised by an assessor), would you agree with this going from 6-5?

Craig,

Regarding using whistle to restart play, make sure you use it on the mandatory occasions, check page 80 of 2012 - 2013 book.

Also make sure you listen to your RA secretary !!!!

Best of luck with your promotion, see you during the season mate

Ublades

Use it for free kicks, corners and the kick off. Goal kicks not so important, but again keep it the same all the way through. Most assessors will try and help but there is the odd pedant who will say "You forgot to blow the whistle to signal the corner in the xxth minute and the yyth minute".

You may not lose marks for those, but they add little and bring the overall tone of the report down from positive to negative.

One other tip - Self preservation works! I already covered advantage in the defending third, but free kicks around the penalty area on the whistle! This way you get marks for correct distance, position, using the dead ball time, and have the match firmly in control

Craig,

Regarding using whistle to restart play, make sure you use it on the mandatory occasions, check page 80 of 2012 - 2013 book.

Also make sure you listen to your RA secretary !!!!

Best of luck with your promotion, see you during the season mate

Ublades

Cheers Ian! Thanks for pointing that out. See you soon.

Use it for free kicks, corners and the kick off. Goal kicks not so important, but again keep it the same all the way through. Most assessors will try and help but there is the odd pedant who will say "You forgot to blow the whistle to signal the corner in the xxth minute and the yyth minute".

You may not lose marks for those, but they add little and bring the overall tone of the report down from positive to negative.

One other tip - Self preservation works! I already covered advantage in the defending third, but free kicks around the penalty area on the whistle! This way you get marks for correct distance, position, using the dead ball time, and have the match firmly in control

That is interesting, I did not think you should use the whistle to signal a corner. I never have in fact.

What about goals? I use to whistle for goals but was told by an assessor not to.

O
That is interesting, I did not think you should use the whistle to signal a corner. I never have in fact.

What about goals? I use to whistle for goals but was told by an assessor not to.

I think you tend to see those 'on the telly' whistle when it is a debatable corner to communicate to the players what decision you are giving.

O

I think you tend to see those 'on the telly' whistle when it is a debatable corner to communicate to the players what decision you are giving.

In fact they tend to whistle each and every corner at professional level which seems a bit excessive to me.

Normally, a corner is signalled with a whistle if it has taken a deflection. So it just lets people know of the decision... Can be quite effective if used correctly!

As per LOTG 2012-2013

The whistle is not needed to;

stop play for:

- Goal kick, corner kick or throw in

- A goal

Restart play from:

- A free kick, goal kick, corner kick and throw in.

Back