A&H

5 a side and 11 a side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Jones

Work Until You Don't Have To Introduce Yourself
afternoon fellow posters!

just a quick one, thinking about doing local 5 - a -side games in the week to help out and get a bit extra money (all FA Accredited stuff, Play Football etc)

is there any real difference in rules etc? besides the over head height and slide tackle?

The Referee Store
two step penalties.... hmm maybe blue cards ? (sin bin type of thing) , kick ins rather than throw ins....indriect free kicks only (o/s PA of course!) each league may have different variations of the above and possibly more in addition

- Keepers can pick up back passes.
- Three touch rule.
- The team who shouts loudest is right. Always.
- Blitzing into the boards is allowed because it's only a fair shoulder charge!
- Earnings are deemed taxable from small sided (you're an independent contractor)
- Venues don't like you sending players off because they won't come again.

In my experience 5 a side is a great source of money, used to earn £40 a night at one venue in York, but it was never worth the hassle. Far too much aggro from players (especially if the game is 'caged', and venues never backing up the ref by suspending players who get yellow/blue/red carded.

Rules etc: usual ones include not being able to play the ball with your head even if the ball is low, if the keeper rolls the ball out to a player it must touch another player before being played to the keeper again

- Keepers can pick up back passes.
- Three touch rule.
- The team who shouts loudest is right. Always.
- Blitzing into the boards is allowed because it's only a fair shoulder charge!
- Earnings are deemed taxable from small sided (you're an independent contractor)
- Venues don't like you sending players off because they won't come again.

Given how much some of the 5-a-side venues pay around here, if they're deducting tax too, no thanks! What's the official situation with tax normally in refereeing? I know it doesn't get paid why is anything actually said about it?

Given how much some of the 5-a-side venues pay around here, if they're deducting tax too, no thanks! What's the official situation with tax normally in refereeing? I know it doesn't get paid why is anything actually said about it?

I'll need to dig it out later, but there was something circulated from the FA that under level 3 we're exempt. If you are asked however then with the addition of Business Class 1 to your car insurance, 45p per mile allowance, kit purchase, laundry, affiliation fees, RA fees/insurance, and some other bits I've doubtless forgotten, HMRC will end up owing you money so they'd probably rather you didn't bother!

Very lucky in Herts we have an official Herts 6s league where it's all run by the FA and a lot of the lads playing I know from weekends

Bloke who runs it is my Sunday ref Sec and a level 5. Top bloke so any aggro he takes the refs side

If it's similarly FA run then go for it

Our one:

No over head (except deflections)
Kick ins
Keeper can pick up
Can't pass directly back to keeper, has to touch another player first
No slides
Sin bin 5 minutes for a yellow
1 step penalty
All free kicks indirect

No over head. How does that work with different size players?

I am 6 foot 6, could be playing against a 5 foot 5 opponent. Who's head?

No over head. How does that work with different size players?

I am 6 foot 6, could be playing against a 5 foot 5 opponent. Who's head?

The one I decide :D

Generally go with crossbar but that varies dependant on how high it's gone when I blew my whistle. Sometimes it's the 4'10" left back :p

If you want to develop as a referee don't touch 5/6/7 a side leagues.

Why? I don't referee small sided games but that statement to me seems ridiculous. Refereeing those games will not hinder your development, given they probably won't progress it.

I'll need to dig it out later, but there was something circulated from the FA that under level 3 we're exempt. If you are asked however then with the addition of Business Class 1 to your car insurance, 45p per mile allowance, kit purchase, laundry, affiliation fees, RA fees/insurance, and some other bits I've doubtless forgotten, HMRC will end up owing you money so they'd probably rather you didn't bother!
@Tealeaf - your income is still taxable, bit under L3 it is highly unlikely that you show a profit. The professional advice (I am a chartered accountant) is to include the fact that you receive income from refereeing, but there is no profit.
HMRC may be assessing the 5 a side leagues to treat your income under PAYE in the near future, as you are under their control. This is more likely at Goals, etc rather then the games organised at schools.

@Tealeaf - your income is still taxable, bit under L3 it is highly unlikely that you show a profit. The professional advice (I am a chartered accountant) is to include the fact that you receive income from refereeing, but there is no profit.
HMRC may be assessing the 5 a side leagues to treat your income under PAYE in the near future, as you are under their control. This is more likely at Goals, etc rather then the games organised at schools.

Would you have to prove that you make no profit? As a student going straight from school to college to university I have little experience of these joys of adult life!

Would you have to prove that you make no profit? As a student going straight from school to college to university I have little experience of these joys of adult life!

In theory yes

In reality it's highly unlikely you'll ever be asked

Keep a few petrol receipts, train tickets and email invoices for any ref gear you've bought. Plus sports drinks etc. Easy to make it a loss

any reason?

My reluctance is based on experience of such leagues in my area. I've played (but not refereed) in these and found them to be a bit of a shambles. Organisers have tried to bring in qualified referees to exert a bit of control but it's a bit of a token gesture as it is run on a commercial basis and as long as they are getting the money they don't really care. In my area the leagues are not affiliated to any football organisation and the advise from local RA is to steer clear.
Regarding LOTG for 5 a side football, I'm not sure there is a universal set of laws, mostly local preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back