A&H

5-4 Promotion seminar

MattTheRef

Level 4 Referee
My county FAs online seminar was moved to a date I couldn't do. They have so far only offered alternatives at in person seminars with different FAs all over 2H drives from me.

Is anyone aware of any online seminars happening within their local FA that I could tag onto and complete?

The Referee Store
My county FAs online seminar was moved to a date I couldn't do. They have so far only offered alternatives at in person seminars with different FAs all over 2H drives from me.

Is anyone aware of any online seminars happening within their local FA that I could tag onto and complete?
Sorry, Like Chas said attendance at the 5-4 seminars tends to be in person - It was always before COVID started.

If you did become a L4, those meetings are arranged to be in person. They tend to me around 8 sessions around the country so you could be looking at the same distance for these. @MattTheRef - welcome to the world of being treated by the FA!!!

As an L4 you could also be sent a good couple of hours each way to line a game, especially nice on a midweek evening! Comes with the territory!

As an L4 you could also be sent a good couple of hours each way to line a game, especially nice on a midweek evening! Comes with the territory!
As a level 6 I went to Dorchester from Andover which was 1H30 each way/ 65 miles.. for an U18 line. I got £20 and no fuel.

Happy to do it but was trying to avoid it if I could :D

Do The FA pay mileage for these seminars does anyone know? I’m in a similar boat and the events are all some distance.

Do The FA pay mileage for these seminars does anyone know? I’m in a similar boat and the events are all some distance.
No. They don't.

They are voluntary.. And not everyone who attends will end up as a level 4.

If you want to progress you will have to accept that you will have to attend seminars and other events, and it will be at your own expense. As an example, anyone promoted to L3 has to attend an all day seminar somewhere in the midlands (think it was Warwick for me from memory). Doesn't matter where you live you have to go, no attendance means no promotion. That is at your own expense, and depending on where you live you might need overnight accommodation as well.

Aren't the 5-4 seminars run by the FA? They were in my day but held at County FA offices around the country.

That's my understanding. Don't think they are optional either, anyone who hasn't attended can't be nominated for L4.

Aren't the 5-4 seminars run by the FA? They were in my day but held at County FA offices around the country.
The programme is prepared by the County FA's, based usually on the areas where previous local candidates have fallen short.
All Referee Developers (previously Tutors) are appointed by The FA now, whereas they used to be trained and appointed by CFA's, and they will deliver the workshops with the RDO (and Promotions Coordinator if appointed)

I don't mind ultimately, worth asking though.

I shall be at Gloucester FA one I think. Anyone else planning on going to that?

The programme is prepared by the County FA's, based usually on the areas where previous local candidates have fallen short.
All Referee Developers (previously Tutors) are appointed by The FA now, whereas they used to be trained and appointed by CFA's, and they will deliver the workshops with the RDO (and Promotions Coordinator if appointed)
I think there might be some crossed wires here. The FA arrange 9 nationwide workshops which are mandatory attendance for all prospective 5 to 4 candidates. Unless things have changed radically in the three years since I attended, the content is consistent across them all and incorporates one standard LOTG test which needs to be passed. I was unavailable on the dates for the ones close to me so ended up with a four and a half hour round trip to Mansfield!

I think there might be some crossed wires here. The FA arrange 9 nationwide workshops which are mandatory attendance for all prospective 5 to 4 candidates. Unless things have changed radically in the three years since I attended, the content is consistent across them all and incorporates one standard LOTG test which needs to be passed. I was unavailable on the dates for the ones close to me so ended up with a four and a half hour round trip to Mansfield!

That was my understanding as well.

Back