A&H

4th official appointment

SteveAustinRef

Level 7 Referee
I have an appointment as 4th official on my leagues cup final.

I have never done 4th official role before any advice guys

The Referee Store
Listen to your referee's pre-match. Don't act as ball boy. Do control the occupants of the technical areas in accordance with law but do not micromanage. You have not been given a free ticket to watch the game - Stay alert.

Listen to your referee's pre-match. Don't act as ball boy. Do control the occupants of the technical areas in accordance with law but do not micromanage. You have not been given a free ticket to watch the game - Stay alert.
What do you mean micromanage?

What do you mean micromanage?
Some 4th officials feel very self conscious if they have not undertaken that role before. They feel the need to step up and speak to every club official who gets within 6 inches of the edge of the technical area. They also think they have to respond to every comment made about the team of officials. They take every small criticism of their team personally.

I prefer to introduce myself to the club officials, explain that I am there to support the referee and this might mean answering their questions about decisions BUT only if they ask me in the correct manner. This means not shouting, using offensive language or bouncing around in front of me waving their arms about. I then step back and let the game unfold. I watch every decision and try to understand why it was made. I won't defend the indefensible, as I can't run away, but I stop short of criticising incorrect decisions. I'll often say something like, well you've seen what I've seen. I'll often be asked to manage all substitutions so the assistant s can concentrate on their role.

If a club official does get too close to the edge of the technical area, then I will step forward to the edge with my arms folded like a genie, wait for them to realise I'm there, let them step back, then step back myself. It's all about the impression given. Look calm, collected and in control and you won't have any issues. The ball boy one is a biggy. Control the spare ball but don't go looking for ones kicked over the fence. The referee needs you there to support him/her.

Last edited:
Never kick a ball to a player when one is required. Ball had gone out for a corner but out and over the stand, bag was next to me so I pulled a ball out and punted to the guy at the corner flag, it lands right at his feet. Got told by the match assessor to just roll a ball to the bench who can put it in play, just in case I kick it and fall on my butt.

As an ex player I didn't wish to get into an argument that I know how to kick a football so just nodded lol.

I had a 4th Official appointment last season - this was my first after a season and a half of adult football and only 17.
I listened to the pre match instructions made by the referee, then told the benches what I wanted from them in a little chat then in the game I made a comment about 5/10 mins in to the two benches for only two standing as I had asked for at the start, and they acknowledged it. But the weather was the worst kept going bad to worse and had to retreat to the dug out bench and was praised by the asessor 100 mins of rain was annoying at least the first 20 was sunny.
But just be vitulant in the game and assist where needs be & most of all enjoy it, it could be the first of many.

Yeah it's with an electronic board, it's on my leagues biggest cup comp and the voucher ty could be watching as the dinners get £500 from the comp sponsor

Brian, great advice!

I have not had the opportunity to act as a Fourth Official yet, but when I do, I will make sure I refer back to this thread!

Fantastic advice as usual Brian. I love reading your posts and wish I had done before my first 4th official appointment at the end of last season because I did fall into the ball boy trap, you naturally find yourself fetching the ball and trying to get one onto the pitch asap, don't do this. Like Brian said get the ball if its close enough and only have it sent onto the field if or when the referee asks. My referee said to me at half time sometimes he doesn't mind the ball going 30 yards off the pitch as it allows everyone a breather and gives him the opportunity to manage any situations he may need to manage. I thought I was doing the right thing by getting the ball on as quickly as I could but once he had pointed this out I realised I was actually more hindrance than help at times. Fingers crossed ill get another chance because I really enjoyed it!

Back