A&H

4th Official Advice

OIREF!

RefChat Addict
This coming weekend I'm appointed to referee a cup semi final with NARs and a 4th official. The venue has dug outs/technical areas on opposite sides of the pitch. What is the protocol for the 4th official in such a set up? Our intention is that the 4th official will position himself on the side line occupied by the home team. Is it okay for the 4th official to change sides during the match?

The Referee Store
What a bizarre setup! If there's no way of placing both teams on the same sideline, I guess you'd put the 4th official on the same side as the junior AR, and then have the senior AR effectively acting on his side as if there's no 4th official at all?

I'd base the decision on your team's abilities, home/away shouldn't be a factor as the competition might have rules for which club gets which side in this case.

Why would the 4th official swap sides at halftime?
Is the crowd likely to be on one side? If so, might be worth putting the 4th on that side to take some distraction from that AR. If there's fair disparity in age/skill/experience/confidence of the two AR's, put him with the junior.
Otherwise, the side of the clubhouse is probably going to be the side that has any equipment - stretchers, ground officials etc so put him on that side.

Put the 4th official in front of the stand, with the junior AR. SeniorAR goes other side.

Why would the 4th official swap sides at halftime?
Is the crowd likely to be on one side? If so, might be worth putting the 4th on that side to take some distraction from that AR. If there's fair disparity in age/skill/experience/confidence of the two AR's, put him with the junior.

Both ARs are very experienced. We're expecting a crowd of around 300. We have considered the crowd position and although there is a small stand in the ground it is actually behind one of the goals. Our intention is to pick a side for the 4th official based on the vibe we get when we get to the ground.
My query wasn't whether the 4th official should swap sides at half time - more a question of whether the 4th official should change position in response to the atmosphere/behaviour in the respective technical areas. I'm not really keen on moving the 4th official, myself and the lone AR should be able to cope.

if during the game on tec area gets lippy put him in a positionj to deal with it. and remind both ars to take their books in case of subs, if the 4th official is at the other side

Back