A&H

4th Observation 7 to 6

The Referee Store
Is this really the case? As someone who has not yet gone for promotion, it seems shocking to me that things like this that are so inherent to our job as a referee aren't deemed that important - obviously the more you get promoted, the greater the expectation upon you is, but why should it be overlooked even at level 7?

It's important, but the bar is lower. At level 4 and above you are likely to get picked up if a player commits 3 fouls and you aren't seen to deal with it, but a level 7 could and arguably should be given more leeway. The observer should still raise it with them, but it would only become mark affecting if the persistent infringement was so obvious it just couldn't be ignored. I saw one game where a central midfielder was like a bull in a china shop and I would have been worried if the referee didn't pick it up, but he did, just a little bit later than I would expect a L4 to have intervened. That's fine as it would be crazy to expect a L7 who may have as little as 20 games under his belt to be anywhere near as developed as someone who has already gone through 3 promotions.

It's important, but the bar is lower. At level 4 and above you are likely to get picked up if a player commits 3 fouls and you aren't seen to deal with it, but a level 7 could and arguably should be given more leeway. The observer should still raise it with them, but it would only become mark affecting if the persistent infringement was so obvious it just couldn't be ignored. I saw one game where a central midfielder was like a bull in a china shop and I would have been worried if the referee didn't pick it up, but he did, just a little bit later than I would expect a L4 to have intervened. That's fine as it would be crazy to expect a L7 who may have as little as 20 games under his belt to be anywhere near as developed as someone who has already gone through 3 promotions.

Fair enough, I would be disappointed though if I missed it at any level (and indeed, if an observer failed to pull me up on it).

Given location my guess is that this is the Combined Counties U23 (not Bostick)...it’s a development league and the ref sec gives up and coming refs or new refs to the CCFL middles to give experience. Great idea and well run league all around.
Will have to wait for Ladbroke to confirm - but the fact he used the word 'development' and that's what the U23s are called on the Bostick website led me to believe that it WAS Bostick - you could be correct, but as far as location is concerned, you certainly DO use the M25 to get to Bostick matches!

Bostik League is what Paul and I have worked together on which is the U18 (not including the fact it is also a senior league, just mentioning the age groups versions).
The league I was in the middle of was in fact the Combined County U23 Development League, separate from the Bostik. Only about 8 teams in it including Sutton Common Rovers, Walton and Hersham, Walton Casuals, Chessington and AFC Croydon, all teams I've been in the middle for. 3 of those teams have played half first team and youth players.
Bostik have not considered me for the middle and I highly doubt they will but I've known the CC organiser a while and he has trusted me and my marks and observations have justified it.

Bostik League is what Paul and I have worked together on which is the U18 (not including the fact it is also a senior league, just mentioning the age groups versions).
The league I was in the middle of was in fact the Combined County U23 Development League, separate from the Bostik. Only about 8 teams in it including Sutton Common Rovers, Walton and Hersham, Walton Casuals, Chessington and AFC Croydon, all teams I've been in the middle for. 3 of those teams have played half first team and youth players.
Bostik have not considered me for the middle and I highly doubt they will but I've known the CC organiser a while and he has trusted me and my marks and observations have justified it.

I assume you are also on the AR list for CCFL div 1 and prem? If so I hope to see you around

I'm marvelling that a Level 7 can have ARs appointed for a game. There are 3 Step 7 leagues around me who struggle week in, week out to get Supply League ARs out on their games.
I once did a game with AR's as a L7. I got appointed to it and some freak results meant it turned out to be a title decider and the league decided on neutral AR's. I was surprised I stayed on the game in the middle as one of the AR's was a L5.

It's only now I'm at L5 that I'm getting any more games in the middle with NAR's

Back