3rd assesment

refdave83

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Be already had my 3rd assessment.
This was in a county cup game.

Comments welcome - ESP an idea of a score

1. Application of Law:
You inspected the field of play and checked the player’s equipment prior to the game. You recognised penal offences and restarted play correctly. In the 64th minute of the game the Kingsley Chief number 15 made a foul challenge, you correctly awarded a free kick but as discussed in the debrief this would have been a good time to either caution the player or if not caution pull him to one side for a very strong word. Just before this incident Kingsley players had started to question your decisions and this would have sent the message you were in charge.

2. Match Control:
You were always in control of this game which was helped by 2 sides who wanted to play football. There was very little dissent from the players, when there was some you were able to deal with it using a quiet word.

3. Positioning, Fitness and Work rate:
You seem to be reasonably fit a have a good change of pace. You need to vary your position at corners to give yourself a better view of things happening. When corners are on the far side you always stand at the back of the penalty area, if the corner is played to the near post you cannot see if any incidents occur. When the corner is nearside you always stand closer to the taker than the goal area, if the corner is played long you will not have a view. Try moving just before the kick is taken or when the ball is in flight to get yourself closer to the dropping zone a we discussed in the debrief.
You need to judge the dropping zone of the ball better. Whenever the keeper was kicking the ball you were always standing in the same half as the keeper and you were standing very central. Once you have assessed how good the goalkeeper can kick you need to adjust your starting position accordingly by dropping deeper and wider to open up your line of vision. This way you will be able to pick up the push in the back and see any elbows. Try moving whilst the ball is in flight that way if you have to make a decision you will be a lot closer when you have to blow your whistle giving you credibility.

4. Alertness and Awareness, including management of stoppages:
Generally you appeared alert and aware of everything that was happening and made sure injured players were treated quickly.
You managed the repeat substitutions well, as discussed in the debrief you need to keep a record of the number leaving the field and the player coming on. This was a cup match and if the scores had been level you would have need to know who was on the field of play at the game to take penalties.
In the 72nd minute Kingsley Chiefs replaced their goalkeeper. I did not see you check his equipment as he was wearing tracksuit bottoms are you sure he was wearing shin pads?
Try using the markings on the field of play to help you judge distances at corners and free Kicks.

5. Communication:
Your use of the whistle was good and you varied the tone depending on the offence. Your hand signals were clear and strong so there was no doubt which team had the free kick, corner or throw in. When needed you used your voice well so players understood there was no infringement You appeared confident and looked like you were enjoying the game.

6. Teamwork:
You were very lucky to have very club assistants. You acknowledged their signals well and showed you appreciated their support

6. Advantage:
You tried to play advantage where possible. In the 46th minute you played a really good to Snodland which resulted in a goal being scored.
On three other occasions you played advantage each time they were in the teams own half. Try to take into account the ability of the players you are refereeing as on each of these occasions the team lost the ball. You could have either pulled play back or even better awarded a free kick as possession is not advantage.

The Referee Store
Thank you for posting this buddy.

I did my first county cup game today and like you did not note the numbers of players involved in substitutions.

Will do every cup game now.

Thanks

Matty

I had a cup game today and noted the numbers until the score got to 4/5 - 0 then stopped and prayed they didn't seat back and the other team woke up!!!

Anything else anyone wishes to advise on or given an idea of a score on this. In my very little experience of this I'm guessing at around 70.

Other than it being rather unhelpful as an assessment - was that it, in full? Seems so lazy - based on the seven competencies and what a Level 7 is expected to demonstrate, I scored it 70.

Last edited:
It's rather brief and doesn't particularly offer you much in terms of development advice. Of the two sections with the heaviest weighting, one is summed up in two lines.

Still, guess we all do things differently!

I agree, it was a brief assessment, but there are a couple of development advice. Mark wise, it would be around average, a 72/73 - you haven't done anything substantially wrong / you have done everything that is expected of a level 7 (what I can see in the report, obviously I was not at the game).

I wouldn't be worried about that assessment for your promotion. Best of luck in your promotion by the way.

Back