A&H

35 seconds

Brian Hamilton

RefChat Addict
Observer/Tutor
Little bit of business to do before the game this morning, player equipment check reveals non-matching elastic bands holding shin pads in place. It's County Cup (U16) so I ask for them to be removed. I also ask players to take off their gloves so I can check for jewellery under them. After that a minutes applause for a player from the home club who died a few days ago (didn't enquire the circumstances).

Player with gloves gets a bit shouty so I calm him and we kick off. He receives the ball but miscontrols it and it goes out for a throw-in which I award to his opponents. In anger he traps the ball and blasts it 50 yards away. I caution him, right in front of the technical areas and tell him I've still got 79 minutes and 25 seconds to play, so I need him to calm down so I don't have to get rid of him. He walks away and calls me a joke.

Now despite being quite old I still remember the injustice that teenagers feel. He's still raging against miscontrolling the ball, giving away the throw-in, getting cautioned, etc. so I decide to manage him. I bring him in for a chat with his captain. No sooner had I finished the chat than his manager subs him and leaves him off until the last 10 minutes. I had 7 fouls in the whole game including 1 penalty. I had one protest and that was about a throw-in.

I bet my club marks are awful.

The Referee Store
Go on then, I'll take the bait...
LOTG p126 said:
Showing dissent by word or action
A player who is guilty of dissent by protesting (verbally or non-verbally) against a referee’s decision must be cautioned
From what @Brian Hamilton has said the player didn't commit an act of dissent as the player's comment wasn't related to his decision. If it isn't considered OFFINABUS, which I would find an incredible stretch of the imagination, seems perfectly reasonable to be managed.

Go on then, I'll take the bait...

From what @Brian Hamilton has said the player didn't commit an act of dissent as the player's comment wasn't related to his decision. If it isn't considered OFFINABUS, which I would find an incredible stretch of the imagination, seems perfectly reasonable to be managed.

So...a players calls you a joke and you don't consider that to be dissent?

Guilty as charged

Sorry Brian, but that is a disgraceful attitude.

You make players equipment conform to the letter of the law but then totally abrogate your responsibilities by deciding to be mates with the player/team and ignoring a blatant mandatory caution.

If you don't see the hypocrisy in that situation....?

So again....you fail to apply the LOTG correctly....allowing open and obvious dissent to go unsanctioned.

:confused:

It didn't go unsanctioned, the offender was spoken to along with his captain. Not all sanctions need to result in a card being shown.

I'm sorry but this is good, sensible refereeing. Not getting people to like you. Not trying to win points or attain good club marks but sensible management of the game and the spirit in which it is to be played.

Sorry Brian, but that is a disgraceful attitude.

You make players equipment conform to the letter of the law but then totally abrogate your responsibilities by deciding to be mates with the player/team and ignoring a blatant mandatory caution.

If you don't see the hypocrisy in that situation....?
Thank you.

Nice to see a bit of honesty on here for a change .....We all go out there every weekend and do our best .... Due to circumstances , Game situations and different personalities the variables are huge .... but always we get the"" LAWS OF THE GAME "" constantly rammed down our throats ..

Don't mean to be controversial ....But I will ...

@Padfoot my colleague and fellow referee .... You preach the LOTG very well ..but I suggest very respectfully (if up to date ) that with 7 bookings in 4 games ......you either Referee in the most respectful league in Britain ? ....or you Preach way more than you Practice ?

We see top referees making "mistakes " every week so us little guys should not be berated by our peers for doing a very difficult job.:(

Nice to see a bit of honesty on here for a change .....We all go out there every weekend and do our best .... Due to circumstances , Game situations and different personalities the variables are huge .... but always we get the"" LAWS OF THE GAME "" constantly rammed down our throats ..

Don't mean to be controversial ....But I will ...

@Padfoot my colleague and fellow referee .... You preach the LOTG very well ..but I suggest very respectfully (if up to date ) that with 7 bookings in 4 games ......you either Referee in the most respectful league in Britain ? ....or you Preach way more than you Practice ?

We see top referees making "mistakes " every week so us little guys should not be berated by our peers for doing a very difficult job.:(

Or just possibly my reputation precedes me and teams know that they will not get away with their usual shenanigans?

Deliberately choosing not apply a mandatory caution is not a 'mistake'......

Or just possibly my reputation precedes me and teams know that they will not get away with their usual shenanigans?

Deliberately choosing not apply a mandatory caution is not a 'mistake'......
Hope you know the angle I'm coming from here ?
we should be able to post mistakes and situations that occur during games and not get a rocket up our Arse from people who should be able to understand and sympathise with all situations .

Padfoot you can pack it in now please. I think everybody gets your take on the situation.

Yea Padfoot Corleone ? with your reputation ...!!

disclaimer.....(This is a joke ) please take it in context

Wow padfoot, I hope you approach your games with a bit more tact and less name calling than you do on here. Let's chill, hey?

Jewellery and the like are mandatory, black-and-white issues. Little room for interpretation (although I wouldn't be asking players to remove gloves myself....and a 'sock elastic' isn't specifically covered in the LOTG, so colour isn't a requirement, although it could be a logical extension.). Dissent, on the other hand, is subjective. Yes, 'dissent' is mandatory, but determining what is dissent is highly subjective.

Personally, I would think that 'you're a joke' should definitely be met with a caution, and 'just a frustrated teenager venting steam' is the kind of excuse that has led us to encouraging such a culture of abuse to start with, and I would argue that it crosses the line. I'm not going to feel personally aggrieved that he didn't send him off - I've felt more frustrated on the line when clearer acts of dissent hadn't been dealt with by the referee.

I had a county cup last week because I gave one penalty and gave another for holding a defensive player decides to give it abit of dissent came my way I managed him give him chance to walk away but he gives it more instead listening so I caution him for dissent

Back