A&H

2x standard 1 x above 1 x below 6-5

The Referee Store
You could do, there is plenty of time left. I have my 5th observation pencilled in for this weekend. All others have been SE or AS. Apparently, my observer last week said that they had got through all the minimum of 3 per promotion candidate so early on they were giving everyone as many as they could.

I think there is a fair chance you will.

2 at Standard Expected should be enough to at least get you the chance to have another chance.

Out of interest what did you get nailed for on the Below Standard?

Two yellow cards I didn't give which resulted in below standard for application of law

Plus below standard for game management. I wasn't my usual self to be fair. My girlfriends dad had just been diagnosed with cancer so she was all over the.

It's alright mate it happens to everyone at some point (poor observation due to outside circumstances). Chin up - you'll get to 5. I didn't even manage to get all the necessary lines to get promoted and I still did, I'd like to think Sussex FA will give you another shot of observation.

Sorry to hear about your girlfriends dad.

Well I climbed Kilimanjaro to honour his passing. Attempted to referee at the top, but a snow blizzard put paid to that.

We refereed a game at the bottom though. I was on the line to premier league legend Mark halsey

Two yellow cards I didn't give which resulted in below standard for application of law

Plus below standard for game management. I wasn't my usual self to be fair. My girlfriends dad had just been diagnosed with cancer so she was all over the.
Sorry to hear about the bad news. If I could say one thing, it would be that injuries aren't always physical. If you're injured, don't referee; you owe it to yourself not to.

Sorry to hear about the bad news. If I could say one thing, it would be that injuries aren't always physical. If you're injured, don't referee; you owe it to yourself not to.

Will echo this advice......

Watched a 5-4 candidate a few weeks back, on a Sunday morning, who had done a middle on the Saturday afternoon......not a great performance and they admitted to feeling it in the legs (heavy pitch both days) so think carefully about what fixtures you accept when on the promotion trail......

Will echo this advice......

Watched a 5-4 candidate a few weeks back, on a Sunday morning, who had done a middle on the Saturday afternoon......not a great performance and they admitted to feeling it in the legs (heavy pitch both days) so think carefully about what fixtures you accept when on the promotion trail......

Blimey, here in Hampshire there are no Sunday leagues you can be observed on as a 5-4 candidate.

I am very confused with the 6-5 marking system. I am not moaning but I got marked above standard for a game where I was expecting standard expected overall.

So I have had my 4 observations

2 x standard expected in a challenging game
1 x above in a normal match
1x below in a normal match
Good administration
All 20 games complete

Do you reckon on paper that is enough for promotion

So I have had my 4 observations

2 x standard expected in a challenging game
1 x above in a normal match
1x below in a normal match
Good administration
All 20 games complete

Do you reckon on paper that is enough for promotion

Apart from the fact that you shouldn't be getting an "above standard" in anything other than a "challenging" game?

And the fact that the guidance suggests that "challenging" games will be the exception rather than the norm? As an example I haven't seen a "challenging" game in the last 25 games I have observed on........

Too much variation in observation standards across the CFA's to make the promotion anything other than vague at best.

Apart from the fact that you shouldn't be getting an "above standard" in anything other than a "challenging" game?

And the fact that the guidance suggests that "challenging" games will be the exception rather than the norm? As an example I haven't seen a "challenging" game in the last 25 games I have observed on........

Too much variation in observation standards across the CFA's to make the promotion anything other than vague at best.

I just referee the games put in front of me trying to improve game on game.

That's Padfoot for "yes" by the way.

I just referee the games put in front of me trying to improve game on game.

Absolutely. Wasn't a pop at you.....more a raised eyebrow at the marking by your observers......clearly there is no quality checking occurring from your CFA.

That's Padfoot for "yes" by the way.

Actually it's more "Yes, I think he will get promoted, but I have little confidence in the quality of the observations...."

Not the candidates fault, but ultimately it can be to the detriment of the candidate if they are promoted above their ability due to a lack of quality in the observations they received.
Needs to be more standardisation and consistency across counties with observers which would improve the quality of observations, which ultimately will turn out better referees. A win-win for everyone.

If you can show me where the observation scheme guidelines says that that you can only get above standard in a challenging game I may agree with you, but I'm not sure how you are going to do that.

As an example, at 7-6 or 6-5 you may have a referee who gets every single decision correct, has complete and utter control of the game, and showed fitness and positioning that would put Michael Oliver to shame. Are you really saying that you would only give then standard expected if the game was graded normal? Perhaps the game was only normal because of how well they refereed it, had their decision making or match control not been above standard that may have turned the game to challenging as there may have been more dissent and more foul challenges as the players lost confidence in the referee?

If you can show me where the observation scheme guidelines says that that you can only get above standard in a challenging game I may agree with you, but I'm not sure how you are going to do that.

As an example, at 7-6 or 6-5 you may have a referee who gets every single decision correct, has complete and utter control of the game, and showed fitness and positioning that would put Michael Oliver to shame. Are you really saying that you would only give then standard expected if the game was graded normal? Perhaps the game was only normal because of how well they refereed it, had their decision making or match control not been above standard that may have turned the game to challenging as there may have been more dissent and more foul challenges as the players lost confidence in the referee?

That's exact;y what I am saying.......

And exactly what I have done for every observation I have undertaken with the new scheme.......and only had 1 appeal, which didn't go well for the candidate.

It is only the match assessor that can decide whether a match comes into the category of ‘challenging’ or ‘very challenging’. The assessor must decide whether the accumulation of:
  • match incidents,
  • the nature and frequency of challenges made by players,
  • number of cautions and dismissals,
  • the behaviour of the players and officials to each other and to the match officials,
or any other factors amounts to a challenging or very challenging match for the referee. This will make the match something that is ‘out of the ordinary’ compared to other matches. If the referee demonstrates both standard and refinement competencies in his performance in any of the Competency Sections then with match evidence linked to those competencies, the assessor can justify a mark of Above Standard or Well Above Standard.

The bit in bold clearly states that if a match is "out of the ordinary" i.e. challenging/very challenging, and the referee demonstrates both standard & refinement competencies, then a mark of Above or Well Above can be justified.
This carries with it the obvious expectation that Above or Well Above cannot be justified if a match is not "challenging/very challenging".

Whats the game type above 'challenging'..... They were 'normal' and 'expected' to me after a bit, I was never going to sign up to any promotion scheme but i enjoyed being the go-to ref for the 'team Kn0b' derbies...

Back