A&H

2nd game of the season and my mojo has gone awol

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
Just finished my 2nd game of the season, the first in the local Saturday league so both teams new to me.

First half went off without a hitch, little bit of hand bags in the 20th minute but nothing to write home about.

2nd half and it all goes to pot, just couldn't get my focus. No major mistakes just little things like signalling the wrong way when awarding a throw, missing things that I really shouldn't have and second guessing decisions.

88th minute away player running down the wing and ball goes out so I correctly award the throw to the home team. And it all kicks off.

A bit more than hand bags but not quite a mass con. Apparently the home teams assistant manager had tried to tackle the away player after the ball had gone out (but I didn't see it, and my view was clear and unobstructed fromantic 10 yards or so). There should have been 2 reds, one for each team but by the time everyone had calmed down I find I couldn't positively identify the culprits, so I had to tell both captains that was the case and that I couldn't dismiss players without being 100% certain, but they were happy.

Last 5 minutes (2 +3) weren't too bad a caution for an away player for holding an opponent around the shoulders and pulling him down and a penalty to the home team that they missed.

End of the game and I apologised to both managers and captains, as I didn't feel that my performance was fair to either team. And to their credit they accepted the apologies well.

I don't know what's happened, it's the start of the season and I've lost my mojo totally. I know there's an element of being rusty after the break and it can take a game or two to get back into the swing of things.

I always view nerves before a game as a good thing, if you're nervous it means that you care. But before the game today I felt like I did before my first ever match, nervous to the point of feeling sick.

I'll see how it's going at the end of the month, but I'm contemplating withdrawing from the promotion scheme, with only 1 observation and 10 games left to do, as my performance so far "feels" like it's been no where near good enough.

Sorry for the whinge but just needed a bit of a vent.

The Referee Store
Withdrawing is the wrong way out and you deny yourself the chance for some much needed feedback. Either it will say you've done well in certain parts of your game or it will tell you things you need to work on.

Also why apologise? Did any of the players involved in the fracas apologise to you after the game???

I know withdrawing is the wrong way to go about it, but I have been known to make I'll thought out knee jerk reactions when feeling passed off with myself, which is why I've set a goal of seeing how I feel at the end of the month, as I'll be well into the swing of things by then, and I've got a couple of County Cup lines coming up soon too.

I apologised as I felt my performance wasn't up to scratch, and while I understand that I am only human and mistakes are part and parcel of life I think the teams deserved better than what they got.

Now I've had a bit of time for self reflection I suspect that I maybe wasn't as bad as I think I was, but that the whinging of the away team just undermined my confidence so I started second guessing myself.

The shenanigans in the 88th minute threw me a bit as I've never had anything like that in any of my games before, and as I didn't see what allegedly sparked it off it seemingly came completely out of the blue.

Maybe I could have had a better angle, but when the assistant manager allegedly stuck his foot out to get the ball ito was already out of play, so wasn't like he'd stuck his foot over the touch line onto the pitch to get it, if that makes sense.

there isnt a referee on the planet who hasnt come home from a game, thown the kit back in the corner saying never again, take a few days clear your head and speak to other referees it will be fine honestly

Reactions: SM
Now I've had a bit of time for self reflection I suspect that I maybe wasn't as bad as I think I was, but that the whinging of the away team just undermined my confidence so I started second guessing myself.

This is an experience thing. You will find teams whinge for various reasons including when things aren't going their way, they are not playing well or that is just how they go about the game generally. Listen to them - are they whinging at each other? Their own supporters? Their bench? Their opponents? They usually will be arguing with everyone not just you. Teams who play with a negative mind set do this. You have to remind yourself when you notice it; it is them not me. You do what you should always do - put the last decision of your mind and focus on what is happening at that moment and what you anticipate is about to happen. Breath, focus, go.

Thanks guys.

Seems my 2016/17 season is off to a flying start. abandoned this afternoon's women's match in the 57th minute due to a head and suspected neck injury. Obviously couldn't move the player so spoke to managers and explained I was happy to continue the match once the ambulance had turned up and taken the player to hospital. But they decided to call it a day, as there was no way of knowing how long the ambulance would take (about 50 minutes in the end).

One interesting thing was the away manager asking what the score was I said 3-3 he said he made it 3-2 as apparently there was a goal that went through the net and the restart was a goal kick not kick off.

Not really sure what he was on about, the nets were in a good state and properly pegged out etc so no chance of the ball going through or under the net. I also suspect the players would have had something to say if goal had been scored and the match had been restarted with a kick off.

Fourth abandonment I've heard of this weekend. Two for serious injuries and two for misconduct (one for lack of players with which to continue!!!).

As for the score, why did the manager count the goal if the game didn't restart with a kick-off??? Goes to show how they think sometimes

No idea, I suppose it doesn't matter either way with the abandonment anyway.

There was more fun stuff with accusations against some spectators heckling the away CAR and making an intimidating atmosphere.

Didn't hear anything myself other than some boisterous support. It was a a sport and social club so some people came out of the bar to watch.

Emailed the league to let them know that the away team had made me aware of some allegations, but as I didn't witness anything myself I've not got any misconduct to report.

One of the away team is a league officer and called the league secretary about it as well so he turned up for the 12 minutes that were played of the second half.

It's definitely been a weekend of firsts...

Thanks guys.

Seems my 2016/17 season is off to a flying start. abandoned this afternoon's women's match in the 57th minute due to a head and suspected neck injury. Obviously couldn't move the player so spoke to managers and explained I was happy to continue the match once the ambulance had turned up and taken the player to hospital. But they decided to call it a day, as there was no way of knowing how long the ambulance would take (about 50 minutes in the end).

One interesting thing was the away manager asking what the score was I said 3-3 he said he made it 3-2 as apparently there was a goal that went through the net and the restart was a goal kick not kick off.

Not really sure what he was on about, the nets were in a good state and properly pegged out etc so no chance of the ball going through or under the net. I also suspect the players would have had something to say if goal had been scored and the match had been restarted with a kick off.
if your notebook recorded 3 3 that was the score lol

Back