A&H

2018/2019 Laws of the game

That's not time wasting, that's running down time. Good luck penalising tactical play.
While not saying that this particular idea is a good one, it's perhaps worth pointing out that it wouldn't be totally unprecedented for the laws to allow an IFK to be awarded for time wasting while play is still ongoing since that used to be the case in the past - although only for goalkeepers as far as I recall.

The Referee Store
While not saying that this particular idea is a good one, it's perhaps worth pointing out that it wouldn't be totally unprecedented for the laws to allow an IFK to be awarded for time wasting while play is still ongoing since that used to be the case in the past - although only for goalkeepers as far as I recall.

To be fair, that's exactly what the "six second rule" is. Since that's the only time when the ball is in play where no opponent can challenge the person in control of the ball, the laws have a provision to prevent time wasting. Such a provision is not needed for any other time when the ball is in play.

To be fair, that's exactly what the "six second rule" is. Since that's the only time when the ball is in play where no opponent can challenge the person in control of the ball, the laws have a provision to prevent time wasting. Such a provision is not needed for any other time when the ball is in play.
Indeed, this is the very reason why we transitioned in the 90s from the four-step rule to the six-second rule. And why we no longer allow the goalkeeper to play the ball with the hands if it's the teammate who is giving the ball (unless the exceptions we all know).

Is the ‘if it hits your hand it must be deliberate’ Law in the good book yet, 99% of players, Pundits and a few referees seem to think it is! :cool:

Last edited:
Looks interesting. Quite a few changes for VAR it seems.

(For clarity's sake, we don't apply these laws until the good book is out?)

Well, not only has the book to be out; it also needs to be after the date your FA decides they enter into force. Typically, it's for competitions starting on or after the 1st of June.

Your RA will know better ;)

I like how it's gone from "any player who uses the TV box signal" should be booked with the original VAR material to "excessive use of the signal" should result in a caution. So now when 8 players surround the ref at the World Cup making the TV signal, he can simply say "I didn't think it was excessive".

Well, not only has the book to be out; it also needs to be after the date your FA decides they enter into force. Typically, it's for competitions starting on or after the 1st of June.

Your RA will know better ;)

I have a society meeting next week, I'll ask them there. :)

Not many actual changes then really.

Made me laugh clarification thst biting is a DFK and red card. I mean who isnt doing both of those things that it needs clarifying.

See our friends from ref support made the cut too. ;)

The best change for me is "hitting the ball with an object is a new category of offence" and not considered handling. That puts a stop to the age old debate on "you can't sanction a keeper for handling offences".

Made me laugh clarification thst biting is a DFK and red card. I mean who isnt doing both of those things that it needs clarifying.

One that made me wonder is the keeper 'double' control. I would have thought common sense was being applied for deliberate touches that just got mishandled etc.

The best change for me is "hitting the ball with an object is a new category of offence" and not considered handling. That puts a stop to the age old debate on "you can't sanction a keeper for handling offences".
That was actually stopped by the clarifications to the lotg they issued this season. However, some technical directors at some national FAs wanted it to be printed on the book prior to enforcing that.

Said and done.

One that made me wonder is the keeper 'double' control. I would have thought common sense was being applied for deliberate touches that just got mishandled etc.
If they have seen the need for such a change, it's that a number of us haven't done it that way :p

The most significant change related to VAR for me, is the change of phraseology from simply a 'clear error' to a 'clear and obvious' error. This reinforces just how egregious an error must be, before it is eligible for reversal after VAR review.

That was actually stopped by the clarifications to the lotg they issued this season. However, some technical directors at some national FAs wanted it to be printed on the book prior to enforcing that.

Said and done.
Rightly so. The 'clarification' was contradictory to some exiting in the lotg. Now not only the new test is added the contradictory bit is removed.

Clarification circulars only get to a small percentage of referees but almost every referee sees or accesses a new version of law.

That brings me to another point, every year we get more and more added to the law which is totally irrelevant to grassroots football. This year we have a large amount about VAR. I am not sure if this is good or bad but IFAB/FIFA need to be very careful not make grassroots irrelevant/insignificant. Grassroots is the hear and soul of the sport.

Rightly so. The 'clarification' was contradictory to some exiting in the lotg. Now not only the new test is added the contradictory bit is removed.

Clarification circulars only get to a small percentage of referees but almost every referee sees or accesses a new version of law.

That brings me to another point, every year we get more and more added to the law which is totally irrelevant to grassroots football. This year we have a large amount about VAR. I am not sure if this is good or bad but IFAB/FIFA need to be very careful not make grassroots irrelevant/insignificant. Grassroots is the hear and soul of the sport.

Well, that has to be there for professional leagues to use it according to law. If I were you, I think I'd just give it a read every now and then but not study it in depth. At the end of the day, I don't see myself officiating with VAR in a decade, if at all.

Well, it really is a loophole in the laws though. It doesn't really fit into any of the DFK offences....RC, yes, but it's not neatly a DFK. Though any ref would be making an excuse for a DFK there anyway. Holding with your teeth?

The bit about thrown/held objects is good.

Note that a player only miming the TV review gesture signal "excessively" is a cautionable offence. Doubled down on the original "any" gesture is a cautionable offence.

Interesting clarification on Law 15 as well - player must be standing (not sitting etc.) Does this mean those famous ones with flips are now not permissible as the player will be crouched down?

Well, it really is a loophole in the laws though. It doesn't really fit into any of the DFK offences....RC, yes, but it's not neatly a DFK. Though any ref would be making an excuse for a DFK there anyway. Holding with your teeth?

The bit about thrown/held objects is good.
I'd guess surely all refs would go VC for biting no? Act of brutality?

Back