A&H

20-21 Season restart

lincs22

Supply League Observer
Staff member
Observer/Tutor
The FA issued guidance last week about getting football going.

Looks like early Set will be the probable start date - but interestingly, the FA rules out joint travel for match officials and warns the clubs to expect higher travel costs.

The rules on the coaches re treatment and needing PPE at grassroots will cause issues, when the First Aider is also playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Referee Store
The FA issued guidance last week about getting football going.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/jul/17/grassroots-guidance-for-competitive-football-restart-in-england-170720

Looks like early Set will be the probable start date - but interestingly, the FA rules out joint travel for match officials and warns the clubs to expect higher travel costs.

The rules on the coaches re treatment and needing PPE at grassroots will cause issues, when the First Aider is also playing.
The hyperlink doesn't work, but I copied and pasted the link
Quite lengthy, especially when reading supplemental guidance and appendixes. All common sense really, but a few things for Match Officials to consider. Overall, although individuals (or groups) have there own considerations, there's an emphasis on shared responsibility
Hence why we've seen the ref stop the game in the EPL to clean balls etc. (not something we'd necessarily expect a referee to concern themselves with)

For Match Officials, some things I took from the guidance
i. Hosting pre-match instructions via video call & travelling separately
ii. Equipping ourselves with adequate personal hygiene products, especially to clean hands at every opportunity
iii. Very brief coin toss.... no boring the tits off players with instruction that otherwise falls on deaf-ears
iv. Managing dead-ball situations quickly to get the game going again pronto
v. No lecturing when sanctioning players
vi. Assistants flags (when shared) must be given the fairy liquid treatment at every opportunity
List inclusive only

Last edited:
Quite lengthy, especially when reading supplemental guidance and appendixes. All common sense really, but a few things for Match Officials to consider. Overall, although individuals (or groups) have there own considerations, there's an emphasis on shared responsibility
Hence why we've seen the ref stop the game in the EPL to clean balls etc. (not something we'd necessarily expect a referee to concern themselves with)

ii. Equipping ourselves with adequate personal hygiene products, especially to clean hands at every opportunity
iii. Very brief coin toss.... no boring the tits off players with instruction that otherwise falls on deaf-ears
vi. Assistants flags (when shared) must be given the fairy liquid treatment at every opportunity
List inclusive only
I was thinking about the flag sharing thing and as someone that doesn't use buzzers I think I will just ask my ARs to bring a flag with them (I will obviously still carry them with me in case)
Intrigued by the pre match instructions by video call. Its hard enough trying to get some folk to respond to email/answer a call/reply to sms let alone give you 10 minutes talk time at the same time as some one else. This really should be done on match day as well so its fresh, but needs must I suppose. Would mean only needing to arrive 30 mins before (if comps temporarily allow it in their league rules). Dressed for warmup, 20 mins, quick change (eg take training top off) toin coss let's go.

I was thinking about the flag sharing thing and as someone that doesn't use buzzers I think I will just ask my ARs to bring a flag with them (I will obviously still carry them with me in case)
Intrigued by the pre match instructions by video call. Its hard enough trying to get some folk to respond to email/answer a call/reply to sms let alone give you 10 minutes talk time at the same time as some one else. This really should be done on match day as well so its fresh, but needs must I suppose. Would mean only needing to arrive 30 mins before (if comps temporarily allow it in their league rules). Dressed for warmup, 20 mins, quick change (eg take training top off) toin coss let's go.
Why can't the pre match instructions be done socially distanced on the pitch?

via cell phones from cars in the parking lot!

(In one of my stranger covid-world experiences, i went to my allergist, and he called me on my cell from his cell before he actually came in the room . . . )

My thoughts as well, it is a big football pitch and very easy to stay 2m apart.

A lot of the guidance is very sensible and just common sense, but some is very impractical. Like disinfecting the ball when it goes out of play, that works fine in the PL but there is zero chance of that being possible at grass roots or even semi-pro.

My thoughts as well, it is a big football pitch and very easy to stay 2m apart.

A lot of the guidance is very sensible and just common sense, but some is very impractical. Like disinfecting the ball when it goes out of play, that works fine in the PL but there is zero chance of that being possible at grass roots or even semi-pro.
Fully agreed. I just don't understand how half time team talks with 11+ players, subs and coaches can take place socially distanced, but a 5/10 minute team talk with 3 people can't

I read no mention of security for match officials (or players for that matter). Are there guidelines that describe what secure facilities will be provided for match officials and their keys, wallets, phones, clothes etc? Will there be changing rooms available to secure these items? Sort of indicates there maybe.
I suspect we'll be getting instructions on using the Matchday app soon. To be honest, I'd be more than happy to be paid electronically than handle cash at the moment.

List inclusive only

Cheers TC, saves having to read it all myself!:)

Don't get i) at all - surely a 5 minute chat outside from 2m plus poses very little/minimal/no risk?

On a wider note I guess part of it is making sure everyone is as 'happy' as they can be with the measures in place. I,like others on here, would have no problem with a pre match held outside (or inside if I'm being honest) but accept that not everyone will be.

We've seen it on PL - no pre match handshake but some players happy to help oppo players up. Same with managers - some fist bumping, some still doing the full on manly hug thing!

Its not just about what's 'safe' I'm coming to learn from all this but what the everyone feels comfortable with and as , of course, we're all different that is going to vary - hence guidelines/rules/laws have to err on the side of caution.

Cheers TC, saves having to read it all myself!:)

Don't get i) at all - surely a 5 minute chat outside from 2m plus poses very little/minimal/no risk?
I'm not in disagreement... But given we arent 100% on how the virus transmits ie we are hearing now it might be airborne, then video call is safer, despite the potentially minimal impact of doing it on the pitch/we are going to be at time in close proximity to our ARs.

I think, if its done before hand you don't need to be at the ground as early as well, reducing risk too..
I think they are just going for as safe as possible, so whilst the risk is low, it can be lower by doing the little extra things. Like for example I have no intention of touching a ball, unless I have to (dropped ball) and I will be asking my ARs to bring their own flags (don't care if they are different).

I wonder if we are going to be allowed to flash card players? Advice is no lecturing, so just stick them a lemon and be done with it.

I'm not in disagreement... But given we arent 100% on how the virus transmits ie we are hearing now it might be airborne, then video call is safer, despite the potentially minimal impact of doing it on the pitch/we are going to be at time in close proximity to our ARs.

I think, if its done before hand you don't need to be at the ground as early as well, reducing risk too..
I think they are just going for as safe as possible, so whilst the risk is low, it can be lower by doing the little extra things. Like for example I have no intention of touching a ball, unless I have to (dropped ball) and I will be asking my ARs to bring their own flags (don't care if they are different).

I wonder if we are going to be allowed to flash card players? Advice is no lecturing, so just stick them a lemon and be done with it.
Yep - not in disagreement with you either James - agree its about being as safe as possible whilst trying to return to as near 'normal' as we can.

I know we are in a "new normal", but the FA won't change something's....

Back