A&H

2 Old Favouites - Offside & overhanging tree.

Bantam Ron

Level 7 Referee
I probably should know this after playing for 35 years and recently passing the refs course!
Keeper clears a ball with his feet but clearance hits the back of an attacker (who assumed clearance would go far so was running back) and rebounds to another attacker who is in an offside position and who plays at the ball. Offside?

Today I had the old overhanging tree above the goal. If it had hit the tree where should the drop ball be taken? The edge of the 6 yard box in front of goal seemed a bit unfair on the defenders especially if the ball may have been heading out for a goal kick.

The Referee Store
I probably should know this after playing for 35 years and recently passing the refs course!
Keeper clears a ball with his feet but clearance hits the back of an attacker (who assumed clearance would go far so was running back) and rebounds to another attacker who is in an offside position and who plays at the ball. Offside?

Today I had the old overhanging tree above the goal. If it had hit the tree where should the drop ball be taken? The edge of the 6 yard box in front of goal seemed a bit unfair on the defenders especially if the ball may have been heading out for a goal kick.
If, when the ball is played/touched by an attacker the other attacker is in an offside position and he then challenges for the ball, it is offside. He doesn't have to play it deliberately, just touch it.

If the tree was overhanging between the goal line and the edge of the goal area (six yard box) then yes it would be a dropped ball from the edge of the goal area.

If, when the ball is played/touched by an attacker the other attacker is in an offside position and he then challenges for the ball, it is offside. He doesn't have to play it deliberately, just touch it.

If the tree was overhanging between the goal line and the edge of the goal area (six yard box) then yes it would be a dropped ball from the edge of the goal area.
+1

What a great place for a tree! :) can't see any potential problems there...

I agree with hullref

Back