A&H

2 incidents: Team off the field when a goal is scored.

CapnBloodbeard

RefChat Addict
Here's 2 incidents:

1) Young match. Team scores a goal, players are all off the field celebrating, but off to the side of their half. So, at their end of the pitch, just not actually on the pitch. Referee allowed the goal.

My opinion? Major error in law, players must be on the field.
There's a clip at http://www.foxsports.com.au/video?v=under-11s-learn-harsh-lesson_1227400336794&cl=130 but it may be geoblocked.

2)Kind of similiar. A team scores a goal and they all run off the pitch to celebrate, not realising that the goal has in fact been disallowed. While they're off the pitch celebrating, a quick free kick takes place, and the other team runs the ball up and scores.

IMO, this one is a bit more grey. While the LOTG don't specifically require the players to be on the field here, I think the spirit of the game would dictate that the referee should get the players back on the field realising there's no goal before he allows the game to continue.

The Referee Store
Oh dear, poor kid.

I agree Capn, all players in own half is a requirement for a kick off, so error in Law. Also that it is not a requirement for any other restart.
Ref must have been cheesed off with 'World Cup winning goal' celebrations at an U11 game.

In the incidents described I think that there is a need for the referee to manage/control the situation - be aware of what is going on. Players leave the field, over celebrate etc but we have to deal with this. If required, there are options to issue cautions to deal with such scenarios. We shouldn't be restarting play before dealing with players who are off the field.

Thanks for the new link. The referee and his assistants should have controlled this better. BTW, was the player who hit the post in an offside position when he received the ball from his team mate as they ran through on goal?

Lol the bit where the yellows are allowed to run through for a free goal (presumably as an act of good sportsmanship) and the kid misses an open goal, runs off the pitch throws away shirt and has to be restrained!! Loloooooooool that is really funny. :D

Feels a bit wrong laughing at an 11 year old.

Here's 2 incidents:

1) Young match. Team scores a goal, players are all off the field celebrating, but off to the side of their half. So, at their end of the pitch, just not actually on the pitch. Referee allowed the goal.

My opinion? Major error in law, players must be on the field.
There's a clip at http://www.foxsports.com.au/video?v=under-11s-learn-harsh-lesson_1227400336794&cl=130 but it may be geoblocked.

2)Kind of similiar. A team scores a goal and they all run off the pitch to celebrate, not realising that the goal has in fact been disallowed. While they're off the pitch celebrating, a quick free kick takes place, and the other team runs the ball up and scores.

IMO, this one is a bit more grey. While the LOTG don't specifically require the players to be on the field here, I think the spirit of the game would dictate that the referee should get the players back on the field realising there's no goal before he allows the game to continue.

For point 2, remember Eng v ARG 1998 World Cup. Sol Campbell thinks his has scored the winner, realises goal disallowed and mad panic to stop Arg attack.
Anybody got a video link?

I remember that one happening between England v Portugal at the Euros in 2004, but not in the 1998 game...

1. "Kick-off ... all players must be in their own half of the field of play" Pg 30. To me its more to do with following the laws of the game than managing it.
2. For me, its not too dissimilar to a keeper celebrating a save in the KFTPM while the ball is spinning back in. Or kicking the ball directly into the goal from IDFK. The onus is on the players to pay attention to the game and the referee. The LOTG specifically allows the quick free kick and the whole purpose of it is to catch your opponents off guard.

Last edited:
1. And the lad's reaction also perfectly demonstrates why U11's has been made non-competitive.
2. I'd be letting the quick free kick run - good thinking from the team it was awarded to.

Just don't make a rob for your back, if the team has scored, but it's dissalowed for whatever reason, blow for the free kick, but make sure the other team know before you allow it to be taken... Even if the team score and it's a legitimate goal, don't allow the k.o untill the other team are ready !

I had a team before, equalise in the last min of play they celebrated like they won the FA cup... I blew my whistle a few times and told them to hurry up !!! But I wouldn't dream of restarting the play if they were unaware

Just don't make a rob for your back, if the team has scored, but it's dissalowed for whatever reason, blow for the free kick, but make sure the other team know before you allow it to be taken... Even if the team score and it's a legitimate goal, don't allow the k.o untill the other team are ready !

I had a team before, equalise in the last min of play they celebrated like they won the FA cup... I blew my whistle a few times and told them to hurry up !!! But I wouldn't dream of restarting the play if they were unaware

Hartlepool_ref - I entirely agree with your comments. If you've stopped play you don't restart with players off the field, it's just common sense and sensible, practical refereeing.

Back