A&H

1st weather postponement

The Referee Store
Heavy rain forecast Sunday morning round my way, wondering if the game I've got will go ahead after it's been raining a lot of the week so far.

Luckily it's not far for travel.

I can’t remember ever calling a game off for standing water, ice yes, frozen definitely, snow (usually yes),
Everything else was adapt improvise and overcome.

I can’t remember ever calling a game off for standing water, ice yes, frozen definitely, snow (usually yes),
Everything else was adapt improvise and overcome.

I always feel that the term 'standing water' leads to further misunderstanding with new referees. I remember going on a Sunday morning to a multi pitch facility with 8 pitches being played on and 1 empty. The young referee had called the game off because there was standing water around the centre circle (about a foots worth!).

I always feel that the term 'standing water' leads to further misunderstanding with new referees. I remember going on a Sunday morning to a multi pitch facility with 8 pitches being played on and 1 empty. The young referee had called the game off because there was standing water around the centre circle (about a foots worth!).
He wants sacking!! ;)

It isn't just standing water, but what happens with it. Will the ball bounce or roll is one factor, but also what is underneath it. I've seen pitches that looked more or less playable but then when I stood on one wet area my foot sank into mud above the boot level, that's clearly dangerous as any player hitting that is potentially looking at a broken ankle or worse. Whereas I've seen pitches that looked pretty bad but were actually playable.

Remember though it isn't the 1970s, and these days player safety should be paramount. I'm not talking about them getting a bit wet and cold, but if the pitch is an injury risk that has to be a key factor in your decision.

It isn't just standing water, but what happens with it. Will the ball bounce or roll is one factor, but also what is underneath it. I've seen pitches that looked more or less playable but then when I stood on one wet area my foot sank into mud above the boot level, that's clearly dangerous as any player hitting that is potentially looking at a broken ankle or worse. Whereas I've seen pitches that looked pretty bad but were actually playable.

Remember though it isn't the 1970s, and these days player safety should be paramount. I'm not talking about them getting a bit wet and cold, but if the pitch is an injury risk that has to be a key factor in your decision.

Your last sentence is most pertenenet. That is the consideration, my point being that a tiny puddle of water which could've been easily rectified wasn't a safety concern. But the referees thoughts on "standing water" meant that there was no consideration to player safety (it was literally some water where the centre circle mark) just the sole focus on those 2 words. Common sense would've won the day here.

I've seen a dislocated knee and two broken wrists during 9 games played on dust bowl pitches so far this season
Regarding player safety, to draw equivalence between concrete and mud is ludicrous. I used to love playing football in shambolic wet conditions, but players will never be afforded the same enjoyment these days. That said, everyone will always beat the ref with any stick available, so I'm aware that allowing a game to take place in such conditions would be folly (from the ref's perspective), which is a shame
Interestingly, I've read that some regional authorities were issuing drought advisories and hose pipe restrictions on Monday!

I’m no scientist but why are small puddles unsafe? I’d class a baked hard August pitch far more unworthy of safe play in studs!

As well as the obvious player safety issue, I also take into account the "will the match be completely dominated by the weather conditions/state of the pitch and turn into a complete farce" factor.

Football is meant to be the "beautiful game" involving skill, athleticism and vision. If many of the players at grass roots level struggle to demonstrate those attributes on a dry and adequate playing surface (which many do let's face it) then how the hell can anybody expect them to function on field at any level when the pitch is a hindrance to them.

Wanna charge around slipping and sliding into each other in a sea of mud? - try rugby instead. :cool:

Our midweek match Tuesday for my local team in North West Counties was off and due to play tonight but a matter of time before that gets pulled as well.

As well as the obvious player safety issue, I also take into account the "will the match be completely dominated by the weather conditions/state of the pitch and turn into a complete farce" factor.

Football is meant to be the "beautiful game" involving skill, athleticism and vision. If many of the players at grass roots level struggle to demonstrate those attributes on a dry and adequate playing surface (which many do let's face it) then how the hell can anybody expect them to function on field at any level when the pitch is a hindrance to them.

Agreed. Including the word farcical in the guidelines does help no end, as when players moan that a pitch is fit, explaining that the guidance asks us to take into account whether the game "becomes farcical" usually gets people to understand the decision. Rolling the ball through the biggest puddle and watching it stop dead is also a good way to get people to understand the decision.

We don't need players/managers to understand our decision, but it just makes it easier if they do.

God, when I think of some of the matches I let start cos the pitch "wasn't that bad".
Utter farce by the 30th minute.
Learn by it is all I could do.

I’m no scientist but why are small puddles unsafe? I’d class a baked hard August pitch far more unworthy of safe play in studs!

It's what's under the water that's the issue. If the ground churns to mud under the water - and it may well do so with 22 players crossing over it, then getting your foot stuck in the suction there is asking for a bone break if it happens during a challenge etc.

Hard pitches should be played in the appropriate summer firm ground studs really, but if they're good pitches they shouldn't have any risk of injury outside of awkward landings. Sadly, at grassroots every pitch seems to have a hidden flipping divot somewhere. :wall:

Back