A&H

1st Match Of New Year

Anthony

Level 5 Referee
I thought my first match of the New Year might have to be called off or a delayed KO at least due to the early morning mist. Fortunately it cleared enough by 10.30AM so I could see both CAR's and both goals. A heavy pitch and my first game after a long break so I was hoping for an easy start to the year.
Cup match, 1st Div v Premier league side. 2 - 3 to Premier side, minutes to go of extra time, keeper comes up for corner, great volley, 3 - 3 so we go to penalties. Premier side edged it, only one caution. I felt sorry for the Junior match that had to wait to use our pitch but at least they had some entertainment and an adult match played in the right spirit. Very tired legs still this morning.

The Referee Store
It was played on a school pitch and the caretaker was watching. I did say to him the pitch was good and I hoped it did not cut up too much. He did not express any concerns.
A very odd thing about this pitch is it at an angle to the surrounding buildings which messes with your perspective/judgement on throw ins and offsides. The hedge on the other side starts off close to the length of the pitch at one end and some distance away at the other.

By the time the penalties were taken to decide the match the already very poor pitch markings had disappeared. I positioned a corner flag on one side of the penalty spot (10 yards away) and I stood on the other side. That way players only had to judge the centre, the GK would let me know if it was off.

Back