A&H

1st game

Funnily enough, my first ever game ended in a 22 man brawl with spectators, managers etc joining in.
I was about abandon, but as it was injury time in the second half, I just ended the game.
Never happened since.

The Referee Store
Which in itself is unusual. Not many 0-0s around at grassroots.

I think I've had one since and I've done around 60 games so far. It's rare to have a game with less than 5 goals in lower level grass roots in my experience. Thinking about it,I bet I can count the number of draws on one hand.

My first ever competing game ended in a fight and a dismissal.... certainly wasn’t the last though.... I broke up a few and stood back and watched a few more... sometimes there is nothing you’ve done or deserved and it just happens, other games you expect bother and it’s a breeze.... lucky days really!

You’ll be better for the experience though, that’s a fact!

I think I've had one since and I've done around 60 games so far. It's rare to have a game with less than 5 goals in lower level grass roots in my experience. Thinking about it,I bet I can count the number of draws on one hand.
I did 20 OA games last season. Median number of goals 4 (mean 5)
30 Youth Games. Media number of goals 5 (shorter games) (mean 6)
It's very much the case that the number of goals reflects the level
Even at the very top of the game, low scoring games are more likely when the very best teams play each other
I think the standard of my OA league is higher than that which I'd expect at grass roots, partly because very few games are one sided

Well thanks everyone for the feedback on the last game!

2nd game today and it went far better.
Home team won 3-2, no real major issues, a few free kicks and the obligatory wanting a free kick for a slight touch but at the end of the game players from both teams said “well played, good game ref” and one apologised for the grief he was trying to give me so much better!

Well thanks everyone for the feedback on the last game!

2nd game today and it went far better.
Home team won 3-2, no real major issues, a few free kicks and the obligatory wanting a free kick for a slight touch but at the end of the game players from both teams said “well played, good game ref” and one apologised for the grief he was trying to give me so much better!
When’s the next game?

When’s the next game?

Had another one today, adult Sunday league, couple of yellows for dissent, one team was losing but clearly thought they deserved to be winning and started moaning at anything and everything, overall I thought it went well. I did put my whistle in my mouth preempting a foul which didn’t materialise as bad as I had imagined but that cues “you were going to blow for a foul” so I must remember to not do that again!

I’ve been offered some 5-a side football which in considering doing midweek, any tips on how it may be different or anything I should do different?
Thanks in advance

I did put my whistle in my mouth preempting a foul which didn’t materialise as bad as I had imagined but that cues “you were going to blow for a foul” so I must remember to not do that again!

I was guilty of that in my first season (and still occasionally do it now). Well done for identifying this, work hard to eradicate the habit!

I did put my whistle in my mouth preempting a foul which didn’t materialise as bad as I had imagined but that cues “you were going to blow for a foul” so I must remember to not do that again!

Yeah - it happens! if you can eradicate that after 3 games rather than 3 years you will be doing very well!

Little trick I have used since getting a whistle with finger grips (Valkeen in my case) is to leave it in my mouth every now again while signalling (more common in futsal). Helps me be more confident with the whistle "juggling" and also might, just might, save me next time I go whistle to mouth;)

Had another one today, adult Sunday league, couple of yellows for dissent, one team was losing but clearly thought they deserved to be winning and started moaning at anything and everything, overall I thought it went well. I did put my whistle in my mouth preempting a foul which didn’t materialise as bad as I had imagined but that cues “you were going to blow for a foul” so I must remember to not do that again!

I’ve been offered some 5-a side football which in considering doing midweek, any tips on how it may be different or anything I should do different?
Thanks in advance
Make sure they're affiliated. Nothing different but you won't learn much to help your 11v11.
Oh! A lot of them are worse than Sunday am players..........still pi55ed or not.

Thanks in advance
5-a-side is just a money thing (No exercise, grief, regular fights etc.) Better than working in McDonalds, otherwise no chance. Just depends on your stage in life

I still do that now, 20 years after I qualified. I've also seem PGMOL officials do it, so I wouldn't be worried too much.
Yep, did that on the weekend as well ... I always try to disguise it with a cheeky scratch of the nose, not sure how convincing that is though :)

Back