A&H

1st game

Callummc93

First game tomorrow and the nerves are kicking in!
Any advice other than be confident and give strong signals.
How long before does everyone turn up and do player checks etc?

Thanks in advance

The Referee Store
First game of many! Enjoy it! don't know how it is over there but here in the states, we get to the pitch ready to work at least 30 minutes before the kick off. That is just enough time to check the field, nets, players, greet managers, coin toss, stretch and have a pre-game briefing amongst the officials. Have fun and work to be in position. Position, angle and knowledge of the laws are critical. I agree with the tenet that the best position is the one that will allow you to make the call

How long before does everyone turn up and do player checks etc?

Hour before.

Gives you plenty of time to get the team-sheets out (the earlier the better), get changed, inspect the pitch, chat to managers, do your warm up, get the sheets back and so on.

Cursory player check as they exit the changing rooms for their own warm up (if they do one!)

Hour before.

Gives you plenty of time to get the team-sheets out (the earlier the better), get changed, inspect the pitch, chat to managers, do your warm up, get the sheets back and so on.

Cursory player check as they exit the changing rooms for their own warm up (if they do one!)
I fear if you turn up an hour early for Sunday League or Youth Leagues, you'll be on your own in the car park for much of that
My advice would be, 'don't try too hard and take it as it comes'. Keep communications with the players assertive and brief

I fear if you turn up an hour early for Sunday League or Youth Leagues, you'll be on your own in the car park for much of that

Not in my experience. :)

Well, only for the 6pm kick offs actually, when everyone is scrambling to get in from work. ;)

Don't argue with the players. Keep any chat brief.
If something really weird happens, take your time. Expect the unexpected.
Come back here and tell how it goes! Enjoy!

WELL.... the match is over.
After a first half of a lot of verbal between players and a very niggly game, lots of free kicks but both teams wanting a foul for everything! If I had blown my whistle that much we’d be stopping the match every 30 seconds baring in my mind its a friendly. Score was 2-1 to the home team, away team were furious that one goal was offside but the lino (the away team Lino) didn’t flag and I couldn’t be sure. They also missed a penalty and wanted a retake but that wasn’t going to happen either.

The 2nd half starts and 5 mins the home team manager (playing right back) moans about a foul in the left corner of the opponents half so he was a good 50 metres away. He mentions the match will end up in a fight at which point I nip that in the bud. Or so I thought.

This dies down until later with 18 mins to go, 2 players go for a header, ball goes out for a throw but for no reason player 1 for the home team pushes the opponent and throws a punch. Before I can even get my red card out, spectators run on the pitch pushing and shoving, a woman ends up on the floor, away team player punches a home team player as well as other people fighting all over the place.
It was impossible for me to see everything that was going on.

I blow my whistle to abandon the match which calms it down a bit.
I felt If I allowed the match to continue, the next tackle would of been a disgusting one so was safer to call it off and the majority of people seemed to agree with me while also saying I caused all of it but both sides had moaned for anything and everything all game.
I got the names of the player who initiated it and the away player who threw the second punch.

So to summarise, it was all okay until it dropped the side of a cliff.

A wild debut I see.

Don't let it affect you too much, get back out there and referee another game pronto! :)

Anyway, make sure you do your paperwork for this one. Put the cautions and red cards in, make another report on the pitch invasion etc. No idea why the fans were getting involved!

I wouldn't worry too much about their comments. When you're more experienced, you might look back and identify issues you may have missed, but to be honest, there's no excuse for that kind of behaviour from the two sides. Sometimes they're spoiling for a fight and there's nothing you can do about it, especially as a new referee. You'll come out of that stronger though for sure.

Better luck for the next game, at least you got the crazy one out of the way with!

Dont get over concerned over first game.

In short from what I take from your post, do not care one iota about blowing the whistle too much, if thats what it takes to keep control then do it......if I get shouts from players telling me am giving too many fouls, I simply shout back "am yet to foul anyone, you stop fouling, I will stop blowing"

You are not there to control the quality of the game on show, as much as we all love a fast free flowing game

In the very early stages of a ref career, keep it simple, if you see a foul, give it.

Not meaning to be harsh, but it does read like you did not have control, and this lead to more damming issues later on.....go back out next time and tighten up from the very start.....you might just find a better conclusion..

Well done for getting through that.
A fight involving spectators and pitch invasion is incredibly rare and you must not think you have responsibility for that kind of terrible behaviour. With a bit if luck you might do another 500 games and not see another pitch invasion again.

It really is disgusting behaviour. As said, the most important thing is to get the report as well as you can.

Of course, there’s a lot to learn in any first game. But you must be “tripping” at this point.

That you got through the experience and made the right call to abandon deserves high praise.

Your own safety, physical and mental, is the most important thing after a game like that.

Take some time. And some more easy games to start getting into the details.

That is insane for a first game!

Dont get over concerned over first game.

In short from what I take from your post, do not care one iota about blowing the whistle too much, if thats what it takes to keep control then do it......if I get shouts from players telling me am giving too many fouls, I simply shout back "am yet to foul anyone, you stop fouling, I will stop blowing"

You are not there to control the quality of the game on show, as much as we all love a fast free flowing game

In the very early stages of a ref career, keep it simple, if you see a foul, give it.

Not meaning to be harsh, but it does read like you did not have control, and this lead to more damming issues later on.....go back out next time and tighten up from the very start.....you might just find a better conclusion..
You are a font of knowledge. But, yep, harsh ;)

Am only passing comment on what i read and i left advice on how i feel the next game could be more pleasurable

Its like riding a new horse....keep it under dom top/dominatrix control until you know you got it where you want it, then let it breathe...

Wow! That is a rotten draw for a first match. Keep your chin up and stick with it. Great call abandoning the match. I've yet to have one go that way but I am sure it will happen someday. Looking on the bright side.... the odds of you having another one like that are slim :) I'd recommend working some lower level games to build your confidence up/gain experience after that game. We all have our confidence shaken at times. That is certainly a rough one to start with.

Let us know how game number 2 goes!

WELL.... the match is over.
After a first half of a lot of verbal between players and a very niggly game, lots of free kicks but both teams wanting a foul for everything! If I had blown my whistle that much we’d be stopping the match every 30 seconds baring in my mind its a friendly. Score was 2-1 to the home team, away team were furious that one goal was offside but the lino (the away team Lino) didn’t flag and I couldn’t be sure. They also missed a penalty and wanted a retake but that wasn’t going to happen either.

The 2nd half starts and 5 mins the home team manager (playing right back) moans about a foul in the left corner of the opponents half so he was a good 50 metres away. He mentions the match will end up in a fight at which point I nip that in the bud. Or so I thought.

This dies down until later with 18 mins to go, 2 players go for a header, ball goes out for a throw but for no reason player 1 for the home team pushes the opponent and throws a punch. Before I can even get my red card out, spectators run on the pitch pushing and shoving, a woman ends up on the floor, away team player punches a home team player as well as other people fighting all over the place.
It was impossible for me to see everything that was going on.

I blow my whistle to abandon the match which calms it down a bit.
I felt If I allowed the match to continue, the next tackle would of been a disgusting one so was safer to call it off and the majority of people seemed to agree with me while also saying I caused all of it but both sides had moaned for anything and everything all game.
I got the names of the player who initiated it and the away player who threw the second punch.

So to summarise, it was all okay until it dropped the side of a cliff.

As a previous poster said, you're now experienced lol. My first game was 0-0!

Back