A&H

1st game today

Mace

Level 7 Referee
morning all, got my first adult game today, been up since 7, ko isn't till 14:30 lol.
I've only checked my kit about 30 times, still think I'm missing something!

My question is, I have never issued a caution, if you have an early decision which could be caution-able, but is debatable, do you caution to set your stall or deal with debatable cautions with just a word? and then see how the game develops?

The Referee Store
Personally first 10 minutes I referee 100% to law to set a benchmark. If game is calm there after then maybe calm it down. Same again in first 10 of second half and generally last 10.

Each has their own methods and without trying for yourself you won't know what works for you.

my advice would be fella in the first 20 mins lay out your stall. if its warranted a yellow give one bare in mind once a yellow has been given every foul like that in the game has to have a yellow as well. its a hard one if they are in your mind borderline i always bring the player over and give him a strict word to cancel those sort of challenges out early on in the game.

Don't forget to enjoy it!

If you decide to caution early on, you've set the stall out so will need to stay consistent throughout the whole game.

Last edited:
i wouldn't even think about cautions mate, unless it's an absolute stone wall card.

Just concentrate on your game and enjoy it mate.
my first season was last year, and i went 10 games before cautioning anyone, due to the standard of football a lot of it doesn't warrant the card, because of their ability.
if you go in to the game thinking about cautions, your going to have a long on 90 mins each week.

Don't get me wrong, if it warrants it then do it, but don't get hung up on it.

Think about your positioning and getting your decisions correct in law.

i'm out inured this week so i'm off to mentor a young 16 year old today for his first OA game, as he came to our RA meeting on Wednesday.

most of all, enjoy it.

Thanks all, so much to think about, forgot the respect handshake and putting my arm up for IDFK, i think I lost it a bit midway through 2nd half, unfortunately one off - S5, 3 yellows, 2 x handball and kicking the ball away. I am am ex player, all players should referee at least one game, found it tough, but I am always very self critical. In all absolutely loved, both teams were good really, they could have slaughtered me on a couple of occasions, anyhow, my experience is growing. My mentor was very supportive!!!!!

I did enjoy most of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U18's tomorrow :)

First game is always an easy one ;)

Respect handshake ain't your responsibility

Thanks all, so much to think about, forgot the respect handshake and putting my arm up for IDFK, i think I lost it a bit midway through 2nd half, unfortunately one off - S5, 3 yellows, 2 x handball and kicking the ball away.

Well done Mace.

My view is players get themselves sent off and cautioned. I had 3 cautions in my game today, 2 of them were completely avoidable on the players parts. Bit of handbags between two players, so I call them in for a sharp word. On the way in another player weighs in and squares up to one of them, having run about 10 yards to do it - so yellow for him.

Whilst i'm talking to the two players involved, one of them kept interrupting me, after the second warning to not do it, he carried on so in the book he went.

@haywain message me your email address and i'll send you proof which is from the HFA Ref's officer :)

For everyone else the statement is:

For any Hampshire County Cup game or Basingstoke or Andover League Game referees are reminded that they must conduct the RESPECT handshake prior to kickoff

Yep same down here in sunny somerset, WE have to enforce it and confirm on the match report that we did it, also you'll get ripped a new one if you had an assessor there

Thanks all, so much to think about, forgot the respect handshake and putting my arm up for IDFK, i think I lost it a bit midway through 2nd half, unfortunately one off - S5, 3 yellows, 2 x handball and kicking the ball away. I am am ex player, all players should referee at least one game, found it tough, but I am always very self critical. In all absolutely loved, both teams were good really, they could have slaughtered me on a couple of occasions, anyhow, my experience is growing. My mentor was very supportive!!!!!

I did enjoy most of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U18's tomorrow :)
Well done for getting through it. Not as easy as it looks is it? Good luck for tomorrow.

Easiest fiver ever! @haywain how would you like to pay?

Not so fast, justy

Firstly, am i to assume that the game that Mace refereed was a Hampshire County Cup game or a Basingstoke or Andover League game

Perhaps Mace would be kind enough to confirm this, one way or another.

Then, once I've had a look at the league handbook for the match in question, to ascertain whether their rules make the referee responsible for the Respect handshake, then and only then will you send me a fiver :)

Last edited:
Oh no, haywain is going to open his wallet.... Anyone allergic to dust should probably leave now. And everyone remember to duck when the moths all come flying out. :p

@haywain your comment was directed at my post, therefore I've proved that this is the case (also sent you the document in question). In the competition rules for at least on of the leagues it is also stated that participating teams AND officials must conduct the respect handshake.

Just because your CFA either doesn't do this, or the officials don't enforce it, that doesn't mean it's not the referees responsibility!

even the referees can't agree!lol good debate though. Southampton Saturday Football league is a respect league, and I understood, it is my responsibility to get the handshake done.

Referee rarely agree. The collective name for referees is "a heated debate"

Back