A&H

1st Assessment

McRef

Level 5 Referee
Had my first assessment on Saturday (9 games in) and wasn't expecting anybody.

Didn't even notice he was there until the final whistle when he came on the pitch to shake my hand... I noticed his FA badge. D'Oh.

1. Application of Law:

Throughout the game you applied the Laws consistently and showed you could distinguish between penal and technical offences and knew how to restart the game after a stoppage. It was pleasing to see you explain decisions to the players, e.g. 70 minute when you correctly gave an indirect free kick to Yellow when the Red 4 endangered himself by diving head first at the opponents feet to stop a breakaway and very shortly after when Red scored you explained at length to Red 4 the decision as he still appeared mystified. Also the caution to Red 17 was fully justified and handled well as he failed to retreat after being penalised for a foul and being told to move back and he did not. In the 67 minute the yellow 7 became involved in an exchange of words with a Red player following a foul by another yellow player and his body language indicated an aggressive attitude. As we discussed later from the words he uttered you were fully justified in sending him off for aggressive behaviour. However I would recommend you take a firmer action with dissent as there were several instances where players ran to show dissent, particularly the yellow 10 e.g. 40 minute when yellow 8 pushed an opponent and 10 ran 30 yards to show his displeasure to you.

2. Match Control:

You controlled this game well and earnt the respect of all although some of the visitors were not necessarily impressed with the sending off decision which you handled well. You communicated well with the players and your assistants throughout the game and as indicated above in section 1 were prepared to make decisions and control the situation. As we discussed I would recommend that you retain control of the match ball and not leave it on the centre spot unattended especially at half time.

3. Positioning, Fitness & Work rate:

You moved around the field of play well and showed that you could sprint where necessary to get into a better position or to move off your diagonal. It was pleasing to note your ability to adjust to the flight of the ball from goal kicks to get into the best position to judge the dropping zone. However at time you seemed to become tangled up in the centre circle and perhaps if you tried to go around the circle rather than through it you might find not only will it force you on to a wide diagonal earlier it will keep you out of the way of the players. Perhaps also rather than turn your back on the players for instance after a goal has been scored you could backward run keeping the players in your sight. You worked very hard and kept in touch with play throughout the game using dead ball time well to get in position for the next phase of play.

4. Alertness & Awareness, Including management of stoppages:

You were certainly alert and aware of how players were reacting, as shown in 1 above, and request for substitutions. However as we discussed substitutions should be effected on the half way line and the player leaving must leave before the substitute is allowed on and my recommendation would be that you brief Manager before the game and go to the half way line to oversee the changeover and take the details if necessary of the player leaving as he is now a substitute and as was highlighted in this match just noting the shirt number was insufficient as players were swopping shirts. Also you need to be aware of the technical areas even at this level as there was a child in the visitor’s dugout and others not connected with the team in the home one.

5. Communication:

You communicated well and you signals were good although the indirect one could be a little straighter. Your whistle was clear and audible and you varied the pitch to reflect the decision you were giving. You also used the red and yellow cards correctly and ensured those disciplined saw the card. Your clear signals indicated who was to be in charge of the next phase of play and you indicated correctly when an indirect kick had been awarded although remember to keep your arm vertical until the ball is in play, at least once you dropped your arm before the kick was taken!

6. Teamwork:

You worked well with your assistants and both responded to you and it was pleasing to see you thank them both at the end of the game. I noted you briefed them individually and I would suggest that you try and brief the assistants together prior to the kick off so they both hear the same instructions and although it did not happen in this game remember to brief any replacements appropriately, perhaps if the substitutes are going to rotate on the line you brief them all initially!

7. Advantage:

I am sure you attempted to play advantage and on one occasion in about the 80th minute you brought play back telling all there was no advantage, correct except for the fact you had not communicated with your arms or voice that you were playing it!

Section

Strengths

Section

Development areas

Good knowledge and interpretation of the Laws.

Need to communicate advantage is being played

Managed the game well.

Try and use backward running and side stepping to enhance your movement.

Deal with substitutions in accordance with the LOAF.

The Referee Store
Sounds good mate, especially for your first assessment.
It is also nice to read a report by a good assessor who has given you constructive advice rather than the ones who go out there just to penalise you for small technicalities :)

4. Alertness & Awareness, Including management of stoppages:

go to the half way line to oversee the changeover and take the details if necessary of the player leaving as he is now a substitute and as was highlighted in this match just noting the shirt number was insufficient as players were swopping shirts. [/QUOTE]

interesting point. i can see the sense but hands up all those who do this consistently, if at all, every time they have a ro-ro game :oops:

A couple of points here. Does Cornwall really have enough assessors to be able to send them out to see a referee after 9 games? Also an assessor should advise a candidate that s/he is being assessed before turning up. This seems (and reads) more like a mentor visit.

My County has to work hard just to get all promotion assessments covered.

After saying all that, you did pretty well in the circumstances and its good to see the assessor try to encourage you in good habits.

As for Haywain's point, about ro-ro subs, if the player's name is checked against the teamsheet each time they enter the field, the issue regarding shirt numbers can be avoided.

A couple of points here. Does Cornwall really have enough assessors to be able to send them out to see a referee after 9 games? Also an assessor should advise a candidate that s/he is being assessed before turning up. This seems (and reads) more like a mentor visit.
I agree with Brian.

Did you get any of your 6 qualifying matches watched by a mentor?

Which of the promotion or Advisory boxes at the top of the form was ticked?

As for Haywain's point, about ro-ro subs, if the player's name is checked against the teamsheet each time they enter the field, the issue regarding shirt numbers can be avoided.

I believe this issue has been discussed before

Only county cup games in sussex require a teamsheet for youth games with ro-ro, I.e. less than 1%

Otherwise, it's starting subs only.

So you don't have, don't get and would get short shrift for asking for teamsheets prior to a game

Having said that, I agree with you that it would make life easier, Brian........so why don't county f.a's demand it, I wonder, (I seem to recall that this isn't just a sussex thing)

Back