A&H

1st abandoned fixture of my referee career

StuArt reed

Level 6 Referee
ok guys need your thoughts on today's game please.
Red vs blues . I Arrived at ground for a 2pm ko at 1.15' introduced my self to the two teams coaches. Went out for a pitch inspection , these pitches are prestige to say very nice , pitch was soft , ko time came round , The game got under way, 15 mins into the match the heavens opened but pitch was coping well what I thought anyway, then a massive clap of thunder followed by lightening , I blew my whistle got both teams into changing rooms gave it 10 mins ,sun was blurring by now, so I went out checked the pitch with a ball and it wouldn't move along the floor as all pitch was bogged . So I called game off..... Did I do the correct procedure .? I was really unsure if I did correct thing,

Thoughts please

Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
Have a skim through your league's handbook/charter if there is one and Ctrl-F for "pitch inspection" or "abandon". If something does come up you'll know what to do for next time. If not it's completely up to you as the referee and if the pitch is truly that bad then who cares what procedure you followed, an abandonment is the right thing. I think everyone concerned will just be glad nobody had to play on such a surface and risk an injury.

Lightning then thunder, surely, not the other way round....or is that just an old wives tale?

I think you did correct. Safety first getting everyone off, pitch inspection then reveals pitch then waterlogged.

Good calls all around.

And some of you guys have the attention span of your average gold fish :rolleyes:

Thanks supermonkey...... I suppose ask a silly question and expect a response like I've got

Back