A&H

The Referee Store
Tough to answer without being there. Level of game would also impact how to handle the coach. Some games we can interrupt behavior and turn the tide, and some we can't.

With respect to the coach, the caution is only supposed to go to the manager/head coach if the culprit can't be identified. It should be a last resort. (A lot easier to identify culprits if you have ARs, which it sounds like you didn't.)

So when you say it was a public warning to the coach, why not a warning to the technical area rather than the coach? In the conditions, humor might also have been your friend--"look, I know the weather is making it less fun for you here, but it's making it hard on me, too--I'm soaked to the skin. Let's get though this together without more inappropriate comments." But you have to read the touchline for what is going to work with that group today. Personally I would never say "if I had to go over again it would be a red." If they don't understand what a caution means, your saying it doesn't add anything--and you don't want to box yourself in. IMO, you want to tell him what you need: "I need you to behave in a responsible manner."

Again hard to tell if it would have been warranted from what's here, but as the send offs kept coming, did you consider abandoning?

I think from your description above, as pointed out by SL, telling them about consequence would be a less effective way of stopping it than the 'friendly' approach, e.g., humor, wit, positive body language, smiles etc. It is likely that this approach would not have worked either.

The other question I would ask is did you start dealing with it from the get go or did you let it go for a little while before taking action (when was first time?). It is important in situations like this to get in early, especially if you sense it coming before the game starts. For me, one obvious dissent is a caution, but also frequent little subtle little ones is also a caution even if comes from different players (for the latter I always warn first).

Were the comments coming from players too? Either way another possibility is to get the captain involved. Something like "Mate I will do my best to keep these players and the bench in the game but i cant just ignore them. I am giving you chance to help keep them in. Do what you have to do to stop it or i will have no option but to deal with it directly. Ball is in your court now."

Last thing, "swear at me" is a bit general. This may well be a straight red card first time depending on the words, context and manner. Were they about your decisions, general game context or were they at you as a person?

In what context were the players swearing at you. It’s best to nip it in the bud early on to prevent it continuing throughout the game.

Back