A&H

10 yards

Just to be a little pedantic here it is not 10 yards it is 9.15 metres, everybody's 9.15 metres is measured differently so if they do question your yardage just throw that at them. I however don't think I have ever had a player actually count my steps, they are to busy moaning at me for giving the free kick in the first place.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
First question, why stride it out?

After a few games, referees should all be able to estimate 9.15 metres from the ball position within a foot or two. If you can't practice!!!

One of my pet hates as an assessor, is a referee who constantly has creminional free-kicks (another thread) and strides out 10 paces every time - it's saying "Hi I am the centre of attention".
Use judgement and get the game going. Only stride out if you want too to slow down the game or to prove a player wrong (& reward him with a greetings card ! ).

I think I'd get laughed at if I asked someone to retreat '9.15 metres'. 10 yards is common football language.

I think I'd get laughed at if I asked someone to retreat '9.15 metres'. 10 yards is common football language.

I'm guessing the term/law "ten yards" came well before 9.15 metres did anyway.... ;) :)

Perhaps to lighten the mood we should know this distance in yards, metres, feet and inches, cm and mm.

You get some smart Arsenal who questions the distance you can give it a different measurement each time.

"Right lads, let's have you the full 915 centimetres this time please"

9150 mm please and thank you.

Even here in Canada, where we use the metric system, it's typically "10 yards". It a much nicer and rounder number than "9.15m" :)

Just to be a little pedantic here it is not 10 yards it is 9.15 metres,.
Just to be a little pedantic, both measurements are the same and the LOTG refers to both ;-)

After a few games, referees should all be able to estimate 9.15 metres from the ball position within a foot or two. If you can't practice!!!

One of my pet hates as an assessor, is a referee who constantly has creminional free-kicks (another thread) and strides out 10 paces every time - it's saying "Hi I am the centre of attention".
Use judgement and get the game going. Only stride out if you want too to slow down the game or to prove a player wrong (& reward him with a greetings card ! ).

As I said before, I used to take this approach. I simply find that players whinge a lot less if I stride it out than if I 'estimate'. They seem to think striding it out is a much more reliable measurement (it isn't, for obvious reasons, but oh well). So if people whinge more if I 'estimate', why wouldn't I stride it out? ;-)

As an assessor I wouldn't mark down a referee either way - though it may depend upon the outcome of the method.

Last edited:

I like to see the referee do it once for each team and then after that, he should manage the situation

I just offered a different take on in that's all, I have often used this when players have questioned my yardage. Because I know this may come as shock to some people but the majority of players don't actually know the laws.

I do know the law and I know that its states at least 9.15 (10 yards), however like many of you have said your 10 yards may be 9 and mine may be 12......go figure!!

9150 mm please and thank you.

Even here in Canada, where we use the metric system, it's typically "10 yards". It a much nicer and rounder number than "9.15m" :)

Agree it is a universal term. Similar to "man on", that I hear frequently when officiating women's matches!

Just to be a little pedantic here it is not 10 yards it is 9.15 metres, everybody's 9.15 metres is measured differently so if they do question your yardage just throw that at them. I however don't think I have ever had a player actually count my steps, they are to busy moaning at me for giving the free kick in the first place.

Just to be a little pedantic, both measurements are the same and the LOTG refers to both ;-)
Capn got there before I did!

I just offered a different take on in that's all, I have often used this when players have questioned my yardage. Because I know this may come as shock to some people but the majority of players don't actually know the laws.

I do know the law and I know that its states at least 9.15 (10 yards), however like many of you have said your 10 yards may be 9 and mine may be 12......go figure!!
You do realise that 10 yards is an actual measurement, right? Are you confusing 'strides' with 'yards'?

Yes I am fully aware that a yard is a measurement Dan
Then I am confused by the above statement? Everyone's 10 yards are exactly the same (including Mr Metre, who uses 9.15 to get there), it's just your stride length that dictates how many steps you need to achieve it

I like to see the referee do it once for each team and then after that, he should manage the situation

I see your point, though it's also a good way to manage the pace of the game sometimes. It's also one of those where the players expect it and I think it might cause more confusion (for them) and angst (for me) if I don't. Nonetheless, I'll try this during my next game and see what happens...!

Back