A&H

10 yards

Markt

Level 5 Referee
I have a 36 inch inside leg. This means that when I pace out the wall it's a lot closer to ten yards than most, although I'm still a bit short of the required distance. Every time I do this I get an incessant whine in my ear of "HOW FAR?!!!" Most of the time it's ok and I don't often have to caution players. I had one team moan so much I actually paced out ten yards exactly - I've had so many comments over the years that I've measured how far it really is against my stride. I therefore showed them how far they should really be back. (It's actually 13 paces for me, although if you say "ten yards" and then pace out 13 they don't understand what you are doing!) To say they didn't see the funny side is an understatement! Could probably have dealt with it better but they were really getting on my nerves and it was only a matter of time before someone walked anyway.

How do other people deal with this? I don't see why I should take pixie steps because others have shorter legs than me. Does anyone have a killer reply to the usual witty comments that players come up with when asked to move further back than usual, even though it still doesn't actually comply with the LOTG?

The Referee Store
I am fairly short so actually always take 11 paces. If anyone anyone moans about it being more than 10 yards I just tell them that the LOTG is now metric and that I have just paced out 9.15m rather than 10 yards.

I am fairly short so actually always take 11 paces. If anyone anyone moans about it being more than 10 yards I just tell them that the LOTG is now metric and that I have just paced out 9.15m rather than 10 yards.

I'm 6 feet tall but happen to know that my stride ain't that long. 11 paces does it for me. :)

How far????? This far please.

Have been told that without NA you should pace it out walking backwards such that you are then keeping an eye on where the ball is placed, so not to move forwards - or (my preferred option) start pacing, counting in your head 1, 2, 3 ...... when you get to the players guessing where to stand tell them, that's X, X more please / with me please....

Have been told that without NA you should pace it out walking backwards such that you are then keeping an eye on where the ball is placed
Please, please, please keep the majority of players in your view. If someone moves the ball, everyone will start bitching and yelling. If you need to keep an eye on it, keep swiveling your head.

Best thing here is, no pacing until the ball has been placed and they've stopped touching it.

In terms of distance, my pace is almost precisely a yard in length, but a friend of mine takes 14 to get to 10 yards. It doesn't matter how many paces you take... it matters that you get the distance (more or less) right.

We did a session with some of our younger referees last year where we had two lines on a field that were 10 yards apart and got them to pace it with a comfortable pace back and forth until they knew how many steps (and half-steps as needed) it was to get that distance. Then moved them to an empty area and had them pace out the distance. Most of them hit it (pretty much) spot on within their second try. 2-3 were even able to get the distance spot on without actually pacing it.

Have been told that without NA you should pace it out walking backwards such that you are then keeping an eye on where the ball is placed, so not to move forwards
I was advised by an assessor a couple of years ago to wait until the ball was placed then pace the distance out going forwards so to keep majority of players in view

At a not inconsiderable 6 foot 6 I get "come on ref, your strides are huge, that's never only 10 yards?!?!"

These are my baby steps. Annoy me and I'll start using my giant steps!

:)

Nearly every game.

Several times when I've received particularly vociferous complaints, I've very politely asked if they'd like me to pace it again. This has been met with a very civil 'oh, yes please ref'. I calmly walk back to the ball and begin pacing again, reach the same spot that I paced them to last time then take one more. 'Back here please lads'. 'But that's even further than last time ref!' 'Want me to pace it again?' Works every time :p

I used to avoid pacing out the 10 yards. It was unnecessary, and for a while pacing was discouraged as it looks more professional if you don't have to. After a while players just whinged ridiculously at it, so was just easier to pace it out (it's utter stupidity, this sort of complaint - what does pacing it out prove anyway?)

Extra facepalming when the FK is right on the edge of the D, I set the wall up at the penalty mark without pacing and I get a gobful. Here's a card and your sign, champ.......

Even on different days or at different fatigue levels my stride will vary - so what's the point in pacing it out?

Trying to work out how to make 10 yards equal 10 steps seem to be the best way of shutting up the particularly thick ones. Don't know what you blokes with the build of a basketballer are supposed to do :p

Use centre circle in your warm up to check your stride pattern. Walk from edge to middle and count steps then out again backwards counting. I get 9 forwards and 12 back.

We did a session with some of our younger referees last year where we had two lines on a field that were 10 yards apart and got them to pace it with a comfortable pace back and forth until they knew how many steps (and half-steps as needed) it was to get that distance.

Use centre circle in your warm up to check your stride pattern. Walk from edge to middle and count steps then out again backwards counting. I get 9 forwards and 12 back.

Beat me to it @DanRicketts - I was going to say that every pitch has markings that are 10 yards apart. Worthwhile double-checking your stride every so often (for those of us that are slowly shrinking as we get older...).

Extra facepalming when the FK is right on the edge of the D, I set the wall up at the penalty mark without pacing and I get a gobful. Here's a card and your sign, champ.......
Likewise free kicks on the half way line! "I am 10 yards!"

Quite a lot of satisfaction of putting them in their place when you point out they can't be 10 yards because they aren't in line with the edge of the circle. :mad:

I am sure we have all officiated in pitches where the marking are not mathematically where they should be... Just to throw a fly in the ointment. :D

In fact, I have done one game this season where the pitch markings defied the laws of mathematics and physics!!!

I am sure we have all officiated in pitches where the marking are not mathematically where they should be... Just to throw a fly in the ointment. :D

In fact, I have done one game this season where the pitch markings defied the laws of mathematics and physics!!!

I always pace ten yards from each corner arc during my pitch inspection so I can get an idea of where I'm telling defenders to retreat to during corners. Only once this season has each pacing taken me to the same relative area on the pitch. Ten yards from the first corner flag is just inside the penalty area, ten yards from the second is halfway there etc.

I always pace ten yards from each corner arc during my pitch inspection so I can get an idea of where I'm telling defenders to retreat to during corners. Only once this season has each pacing taken me to the same relative area on the pitch. Ten yards from the first corner flag is just inside the penalty area, ten yards from the second is halfway there etc.
That's to be expected though, as the pitch is allowed to be anywhere between 50 and 100 yards. Bit more concerning if the penalty area is wildly off, or the centre circle...

Should have asked Steven Hawking to assess!

My only witty reply (which does tend to stop any further moaning) 'it's the same 10 yards we'll be using throughout today lads. Let's get on with it eh?'

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-match when I'm checking the field of play I usually pace out the 6 yard box, penalty sport, 18 yard box, 4 yard d to get my pace length re-calibrated(ish).

Works for me.

It's primarily to check the penalty spot is in the right place tho'.

My only witty reply (which does tend to stop any further moaning) 'it's the same 10 yards we'll be using throughout today lads. Let's get on with it eh?'
I used this on Sunday. Two teams who moan about everything - Therefore several cautions for dissent. They still didn't stop.
I then had a kick in a similar position to a previous one, so I'd already moved them back where I wanted them. I therefore moved them back the same distance as before.

Player: " You haven't measured that one!"
Me: "Are you sure you want me to?"
Player: "yes, of course we do!"
Me: "Then I'll need you to move out of the way because I'm coming through there!"
Player: "But you're taking bigger steps than before!"
Me: "Well, Duh!"
Player: "......"

No further comments

Back