A&H

“He need better glasses”

I may be missing something here. According to post #3 the comment was directed at a team mate. How can that be dissent?
I took that to mean that the first player made the comment to a team mate, not that the comment was about a team mate.

The Referee Store
I may be missing something here. According to post #3 the comment was directed at a team mate. How can that be dissent?
I think so. By his audible "pi33-take" he could still be showing public disagreement or disdain for the referee's decision. A bit like sarcastic hand-clapping.

Ok I see. Maybe @Ex-player can clarify if the comment was 'about' a teammate or about the referee.
Either way the discussions remain relevant. The reasons for a caution, if given, may change.

Well if anything this thread has inspired me to go and check out contact lenses with specsavers :cool:

I am prescribed glasses for reading/watching TV, not regular day to day activities. Though I think I'd feel an awful lot more comfortable on the pitch with the aid.

At least I can tell the players I've already been to specsavers when told to go ;)

One other question on the topic. In my first ever game as an AR, the other AR wore those goggle glasses. A person on the bench behind me commented 'he needs bigger goggles' in reference to my other AR when he was upset at a call he had made on the far side (it was said behind me, no idea if it was to me or him chatting to a colleague on his bench). What should I have done, if anything?

Context was that the referee had just awarded a decision against the players team.
Those types of comments are the ones that the players protest “I wasn’t speaking directly to you” or “I didn’t swear at you”

Based on the context provided it’s very possible to view as dissent.

If no sin bins in use, it really doesn’t make much of a difference which code you do them for. If they are in use (at least in England) it becomes more important because the actual sanction is different.

A person on the bench behind me commented 'he needs bigger goggles' in reference to my other AR when he was upset at a call he had made on the far side (it was said behind me, no idea if it was to me or him chatting to a colleague on his bench). What should I have done, if anything?

Laughed with them!!

(Seriously - a nothing comment).

Ok I see. Maybe @Ex-player can clarify if the comment was 'about' a teammate or about the referee.
Either way the discussions remain relevant. The reasons for a caution, if given, may change.
Player says “he need better glasses” to a teammate about the referee. Interestingly the referee has reported the use of the ‘f’ word and is why he cited OFFINABUS this is nearly impossible as the player’s first language is Arabic and would not use profanity.

That’s not a red for me.

maybe a caution (sin bin) for dissent depending on the volume and tone etc.

id be more inclined to let it go if it I s said in exasperation, than if the player ran halfway across the pitch to scream it at me.

but as has been said already, it’s one where you really have to be there to make a judgement on it.
In exasperation walking back to centre circle after the penalty had been converted. Player not involved in anyway in penalty decision.

Player says “he need better glasses” to a teammate about the referee. Interestingly the referee has reported the use of the ‘f’ word and is why he cited OFFINABUS this is nearly impossible as the player’s first language is Arabic and would not use profanity.
Based on first hand experience I am not so sure I would agree with that assertion.

How far away were you? It's possible you didn't hear all of what was said, sometimes players say stuff quietly to us as they pass us by that only we can hear

Reactions: one
One other question on the topic. In my first ever game as an AR, the other AR wore those goggle glasses. A person on the bench behind me commented 'he needs bigger goggles' in reference to my other AR when he was upset at a call he had made on the far side (it was said behind me, no idea if it was to me or him chatting to a colleague on his bench). What should I have done, if anything?
Was it said in a way to make sure you can hear it? If not prob ignoring is the right action. If yes it would require action. He made a mockery of your fellow AR, he knows you heard it and did nothing. Meaning it's acceptable by you. My reaction would be a witty comment and an ultimatum that you would involve the referee is they don't cease.

Must be a thing where you are. I do local games in an area with a few clubs with majority players with Arabic as first language. They use the f word in almost every sentence they speak, quite likely more than once.
Fair enough. The player told me he wouldn’t use that word. I guess as many have said it’s a ‘had to be there’ situation. Which, whilst I was there I was not next to the player. Tough one.

Reactions: one
Fair enough. The player told me he wouldn’t use that word. I guess as many have said it’s a ‘had to be there’ situation. Which, whilst I was there I was not next to the player. Tough one.
Ahh. Gee. The player denied it. :rolleyes:

Saying something "to a teammate" so the R hears does not excuse it. And the F-bomb mixed in makes the sendoff much more understandable. (Though, for me, without more context, I would probably caution--but tone and the extent to which the referee perceives it as personal matter a lot in the evaluation.)

Really depends on your tolerance level, experience and confidence. When I first started I wouldn't have been able to get the yellow card out fast enough, these days I would almost certainly smile, laugh it off, and if I could think of something quickly enough go back with a witty comment. Certainly the next time he made a mistake I'd be telling him he perhaps needed new boots :)

I remember being on the line for a contrib game where one player was on the ref's back constantly, telling him he was a sh!t referee. He gave a free kick on the edge of the area, said player took it and put it into orbit. The referee ran past him and said, rather too loudly, who's sh!t now then. Everyone was laughing, he was well and truly put back into his box, and he didn't get a peep from him for the rest of the game. The benches behind me were in hysterics. Unprofessional? Probably yes. Effective? Absolutely.

I remember being on the line for a contrib game where one player was on the ref's back constantly, telling him he was a sh!t referee. He gave a free kick on the edge of the area, said player took it and put it into orbit. The referee ran past him and said, rather too loudly, who's sh!t now then. Everyone was laughing, he was well and truly put back into his box, and he didn't get a peep from him for the rest of the game. The benches behind me were in hysterics. Unprofessional? Probably yes. Effective? Absolutely.
For new refs: Don't try this at home! Some things that very experienced refs can pull off can lead to utter disaster for those without the same experience and gravitas.

For new refs: Don't try this at home! Some things that very experienced refs can pull off can lead to utter disaster for those without the same experience and gravitas.

Completely agree. Which is why I said it depends on experience and confidence, what works for one won't work for others.

Completely agree. Which is why I said it depends on experience and confidence, what works for one won't work for others.
I totally get it and had no doubts about what you were saying--I wasn't critiquing you at all . . . but sometimes to someone new something sounds good and they don't have the experience to realize what kind of can of worms they might be opening, so I just wanted to emphasize it.

For me the OP, the way it is described is only unpleasant and deserves a talking to and nothing more. It could change to a sanction if I am there and get more context. I must add, if you yellow card,it is not dissent. It has to be USB.
Wow - I didn't even think of this when I was reading it, but it has to be, yes.

What sub-category would it come under do you recon?

Back