The Ref Stop

“Are you going to put the card through ref”

DeanoMT10

Level 7 Referee
As someone who is new, and learning the joys of adult football on a Saturday.

I issued my first red card yesterday.
Uproar from the captain and a few others saying he can’t afford to pay that etc.

Now that’s irrelevant, player safety is more important. But, I did have the player and 2 others ask at the end of the game if I was going to “put it through”.

Is this common?
It’s all learning for me, but not something I’ve had before so leaning on you my friends for opinions.

Does this comment happen a lot?
Why wouldn’t you put it through?

The Ref Stop
You get it a lot at the lower levels. Put it through always, you will be in hot water with the CFA if they find out you haven’t.

I always say the fine goes to the club and not the player, it’s the clubs choice to pass that fine on to them.

It is common. You must report every caution and every dismissal, as not doing so lands you in trouble.
Some referees, sadly, have failed to report because of club marks, inertia, or "can't be bothered" and clubs will always ask

As someone who is new, and learning the joys of adult football on a Saturday.

I issued my first red card yesterday.
Uproar from the captain and a few others saying he can’t afford to pay that etc.

Now that’s irrelevant, player safety is more important. But, I did have the player and 2 others ask at the end of the game if I was going to “put it through”.

Is this common?
It’s all learning for me, but not something I’ve had before so leaning on you my friends for opinions.

Does this comment happen a lot?
Why wouldn’t you put it through?
@DeanoMT10 Yes, put though, as it will be worse for you if you don't.

Was they asking you or yelling at you not to put though? If they were being aggressive is telling you not to send in, I would be tempted to let the CFA know. They may have done this to other referees - who may have not sent in, so the CFA needs to be aware as they will sometimes charge a club who try's this too many times or too hard.

Even if in the aftermath you realise or think you made a mistake, you still report the card and can add an extraordinary report to accompany it to say so.

Grassroots Saturday and Sunday football comes up with this chestnut all the time in my experience, youth and adult.

Had a game two weeks ago where home team were the worst of those Sunday league sh1thouses. Yellow within 5 minutes (cue "it's not the Premier League, ref" - you're not kidding), two more yellows by 20 mins (one could have been a red, sort of challenge subject to previous threads on here) and then RC for OFFINABUS (homophobic comment) at 40 minutes. At half time, RC player (same player YC'd within 5 mins) asks politely "Are you putting that through" and askes exact same question at full time. Of course I am. He's lucky I didn't add the two requests to the extraordinary report.

I was once offered £50 cash by a very well known premier players cousin to not send in a red card I had gave them for a comment that implied him, me and a knife. You can guess the rest. Card went in and I moved on to the next game.

Slightly different but had a game this weekend where KO was delayed by an issue with the goals, that was only remedied when an AR gave it a go as the club officials hadn’t managed it.

“It’s only five minutes” would not be a defence for me if the league asked why I didn’t report a late kick off.

I was once offered £50 cash by a very well known premier players cousin to not send in a red card I had gave them for a comment that implied him, me and a knife. You can guess the rest. Card went in and I moved on to the next game.
You should have took the £50 cash and then went home and put it in anyway!

(I joke, absolutely don't do this, but it would be funny)

Back