A&H

Your decision?

DB

Referee, Observer, Mentor, Player
Level 5 Referee
Saw something yesterday that made me question a referees decision... What would you have done?
I also have another scenario for you...

Reds vs Blues...

Reds mount an attack and manage to get a shot away and it IS on target. Blue keeper is beaten but a defender has managed to get back on his line, instead of swinging a leg at the ball (which he may of saved), he sticks out a hand and palms the ball into the net. What's your decision?

Second scenario:

Same as before but the attackers shot is not on target, the defender dives for the ball and palms that into the goal... What's your decision?

The Referee Store
Why are defenders palming the ball into their own goal? :confused: Is it deliberate or a by product of them trying to stop it going in?

Outcome is the same - award goal, caution idiot....err I mean defender....

What actually happened, and why did you question it?

My thoughts exactly. Yesterday's game, red card, penalty (which was missed)!!!

Nope, the ball had gone in then the whistle blew. The defender was on the goal-line. At first I thought something else had happened, but I was stood by the players entrance and asked the chap why he'd been sent off "handball". I think the referee was the only guy that thought he'd made the right decision, although he probably regretted it straight after.

It didn't change the game though, Blues still won 4-1 (it was 4 or 5). I tried to understand why the ref would take that stance, if the ball hit the hand and went out of the field of play or even stated in play but not over the line, then that is DOGSOH, to which his thought train and indeed decisions would have been correct. It was a weird one. I do hope for the sake of the blue player that they appeal the red card and that the referee admits he got it wrong, it will be a shame for him to be banned because of a referee error.

Saw something yesterday that made me question a referees decision... What would you have done?
I also have another scenario for you...

Reds vs Blues...

Reds mount an attack and manage to get a shot away and it IS on target. Blue keeper is beaten but a defender has managed to get back on his line, instead of swinging a leg at the ball (which he may of saved), he sticks out a hand and palms the ball into the net. What's your decision?

Second scenario:

Same as before but the attackers shot is not on target, the defender dives for the ball and palms that into the goal... What's your decision?
1st one, goal and caution for USB
2nd one goal and caution for USB

I thought this but the video evidence is no longer mandatory, but appeal has to be in by 5pm Tuesday if Saturday/Sunday match & fee & all evidence in by Thursday.
Could be right. I've never had a dismissal appealed in 16 years and don't sit on appeal boards, so your knowledge could be more up to date than mine.

Had this happen in one of my games once. Ball was in the net, ref brought it back. I don't know if some referees think a red card is a bigger advantage than a goal or what's going on there...

Heck, I'd definitely be appealing that one! If I was the opposing team I'd be appealing the result as well (Assuming they didn't win)!!

@holbeach ref is absolutely correct regarding the appeal process, however:
If the referee applies advantage during an obvious goalscoring opportunity and
a goal is scored directly, despite the opponent’s handling the ball or fouling an
opponent, the player cannot be sent off but he may still be cautioned.

As the referee hasn't played advantage in this case, technically he isn't wrong in law. Bad refereeing certainly, but not an obvious error. Had he awarded the goal and sent the player off, then that would almost certainly be overturned on appeal.

Given a goal was otherwise scored, the advantage has been made clear. So his refusal to apply advantage still makes him incorrect in law, IMO. This wasn't a subjective decision he had to make. The OGSO had not been denied. Both teams have a good reason for appeal - one for the red card, the other for the referee's denial of the goal.

Hilariously, the only person who illegally denied an obvious goal was the referee himself!!

As Alex R-F points out, there is enough of a "get-out clause" in the Laws for this to probably not be successful if appealed. For an appeal, I think you need something that is technically incorrect, such as awarding an indirect free kick for an encroachment offence at a penalty when it should have been a retake. For instance, this occurred in a World Cup qualifying game between Uzbekistan and Bahrain in 2005 and more recently in a UEFA U-19 women's game between England and Norway last year.

In both those cases, the team that was denied a retake appealed and the games were replayed, the major difference being that while FIFA decided the Uzbekistan vs Bahrain game should be replayed in its entirety, UEFA decreed that the England-Norway game be replayed only from the point where the penalty kick was taken, which bizarrely enough, meant that only the last 18 seconds of the game was replayed.

Back