A&H

World Cup WWC Final - Spain v England

Never going to be given in a world cup final and I know you wouldn't give it in this scenario. So ridiculous comment
Ok. But how is it wrong? You're essentially agreeing with me here... so your comment was probably more ridiculous than mine...

And for clarity, I fancy myself giving it, what I don't fancy myself for is ever getting to a WC final.

The Referee Store
England have lost this themselves but if I’m Penso it’s one of those where I get in the changing room feeling like I couldn’t get anything right. Poor game

Moral highground being taken. I'm not agreeing with you
If you aren't cautioning for this in your games you will find yourself very much in the last week's referee camp.

I'm fully aware of why she didn't give it but to say it's wrong to suggest it's a clear as day yellow, well, that's wrong.

You used a phrase "never going to be given" and "wouldn't give it". That's says you recognise and offence, otherwise your argument would be "no offence committed"

Spain are deserved winners and they played excellently. Penso had a second half she won't want to have again. Should have been a second yellow, but the pressure is on and we all make mistakes. Should have been more than one minute added on to the end for all the time wasting in stoppage time.

I'm afraid she started well but appeared to be wanting to limit the YC count more than properly control the game. It got away from her in several phases of the game. She is an exceptional referee with a great tournament and I know she will reflect on this afterwards knowing she saved her poorest performance until the last one (a Howard Webb moment).

Any reason you dislike her performance with no argument ? are you not use to watching female referees ?
Hahaha love to make this a sexism argument mate, been supporting women’s football since before the London Olympics and have reffed almost exclusively in the women’s game since I qualified.

She failed to handled the SPA fouls in the first half meaning they were flying in midway through the second and her yellows for this were very inconsistent. Missed a lot of trips in key areas for both teams. And of course missed that mandatory caution for knocking the ball away.

Unfortunately I thought the referee did lose the game from 80 mins.

There were quite obvious fouls missed both ways, blatant holding card, delay of game card - and a second delay of game when Spain took 45 secs at a corner and then changed the taker. That was the one that looked way outside the expected lines for me.

I understand the argument for avoiding the 2nd yellow for kicking the ball away. But the corner was an easy one, easy message to send, big signal of control… but missed.

You want an 8.3 not an 8.0 so I don’t think Collina will be happy and I don’t think we’ll see this SF + F again.

Anyone thinking Penso had poor game, this was not much different to the England v Aus game. And she didn't get much criticism in that game. Very high bar in fouls in most cases and missing a few cautions. He got to the the final on the back of a similar performance similar to this so I'd say those who appointed her would have been happy with this performance.

Hahaha love to make this a sexism argument mate, been supporting women’s football since before the London Olympics and have reffed almost exclusively in the women’s game since I qualified.

She failed to handled the SPA fouls in the first half meaning they were flying in midway through the second and her yellows for this were very inconsistent. Missed a lot of trips in key areas for both teams. And of course missed that mandatory caution for knocking the ball away.
Not at all anything to with sexism. But you seem to dislike her so much it is worrying. When her performance was good enough for the final

Its not about "letting go". This forum allows all of us referees the opportunity to comment. Often we disagree with each other. Clearly we disagree.

I thought she was good in the first half, think the VAR penalty incident knocked her confidence. She clearly didn't want to give it with the amount of time it took, although my view is she moved her hand to the ball and it was a penalty.

She didn't manage timewasting well at all. Not just the potential second caution, but there were other obvious cases that she didn't manage, the most obvious being when Spain spent ages setting up a corner only to then switch the taker with someone coming from a long distance away. That's a classic tactic and has to be a caution, I'd be expecting a Level 7 to be dealing with that let alone a FIFA referee. I'm going to be honest here, I don't think many FIFA referees would be giving a second caution for kicking the ball into the crowd, and certainly not in a World Cup final. The mistake Penso made was going to her pocket before realising who it was, better referees wouldn't make that mistake. And the English players missed a trick, if they had got around her she really wouldn't have had a lot of choice but to pull the second caution out.

Not at all anything to with sexism. But you seem to dislike her so much it is worrying. When her performance was good enough for the final
Don’t dislike her, she had a bad game? She’s a better official than me but thankfully the laws are publicly available and so even a Level 7 like me (and the higher level refs in this thread) can see and question why mandatory cautions and other calls were missed

So serious question. Forget it's a WC Final, we understand and are well versed in game management in the elite game. We have seen it for many years, and thankfully the tide appears to be turning.

Do you honestly not think that the 2 incidents, the kicking ball away and the corner player switching were clear acts of delaying restart of play?

And if not why not?

And do you think that these things being managed at this level, helps you in your own games?

Anyone thinking Penso had poor game, this was not much different to the England v Aus game. And she didn't get much criticism in that game. Very high bar in fouls in most cases and missing a few cautions. He got to the the final on the back of a similar performance similar to this so I'd say those who appointed her would have been happy with this performance.
I don’t think that game had as many objective mistakes. Letting the game flow and missing mandatory cautions aren’t the same imo

Back