A&H

World Cup WWC Final - Spain v England

Very interesting to read all the comments about Tori re: YC and game management.
I essentially thought this of her across both the Semi-Final and the Final.
Objectively, I don't think she did much wrong (if at all) and by that I mean she gave fouls where she needed to, let play continue when needed, etc, except for her use of yellow cards.

Referencing her semi-final performance, when you've given a yellow card to someone 10 minutes in, and 25 minutes later it's still 0-0, and the foul count is 10-1 and there still hasn't been a yellow card for repeated fouls, something seems off.

Ultimately, I don't think this influenced either result though, but I hadn't noted her anywhere else in the tournament, which is a good sign

The Referee Store
Is that a good refereeing position for the penalty? She could well have obstructed a player trying to get to a rebound.
Nothing wrong with her positioning here. 1 the players are likely to run past her and 2 she is likely to move out of the area as that happens. Risk of collision here is low imo.

Think she's about right tbh. She is wide, she doesn't want to be too far away
But she couldn't easily see encroachment into the D with other players in her line of sight.

On a park with no NARs, where do you stand? Goal-line?

In a World Cup Final with VAR, does it matter?

But she couldn't easily see encroachment into the D with other players in her line of sight.

On a park with no NARs, where do you stand? Goal-line?

In a World Cup Final with VAR, does it matter?
Yeah goal line for sure on my own.

Here though she needs to be in the best position to see two things at the point of contact and then react to any miss/save. This is fine imo

Who said anything about coincidence? Referees see what gets rewarded. I don’t think anyone at FIFA is saying to not give mandatory cards. I think Rs are inferring the best way to be well regarded.
There's probably also them not being observed on the finals (pretty sure they aren't), which means there is less pressure to caution for things that you would have to in other games to risk losing silly marks.

Unfortunately I thought the referee did lose the game from 80 mins.

There were quite obvious fouls missed both ways, blatant holding card, delay of game card - and a second delay of game when Spain took 45 secs at a corner and then changed the taker. That was the one that looked way outside the expected lines for me.

I understand the argument for avoiding the 2nd yellow for kicking the ball away. But the corner was an easy one, easy message to send, big signal of control… but missed.

You want an 8.3 not an 8.0 so I don’t think Collina will be happy and I don’t think we’ll see this SF + F again.
And the corner taker that would have been carded was Siena as well, she got lucky on both DRP situations

Wasn’t she about exactly where recommended in the magic book?
Yes, pretty much text book. With NARs her focus is encroachment on the edge of the area and a potential double touch of the ball. The AR has keeper encroachment and ball over goal line. I know that some referees take keeper encroachment off their AR, but I totally disagree with this as you can't possibly see that, double touch and outfield player encroachment all at the same time.

Obviously with no NAR keeper encroachment and ball over line become the key things.

1692635053324.png

Well, she was the player coming to take it - but I would have booked the player who originally lined it up for 45 secs…

Good q…?
Same. Similar scenario to below

Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by:
• appearing to take a throw-in but suddenly leaving it to a team-mate to take

Oh my bad, was thinking she was the original taker as she'd been taking the corners from that side before
Think that was the point, she was always going to be taking it, but moved away as far as possible on the pretence of someone else taking it. It was clearly a practised event (and that isn't a criticism, most managers would do exactly the same).

Back