A&H

WOW

The Referee Store
The keepers reaction should have given it away that it was a goal.

Got to love the back spin on the ball though. Would have made it impossible for the ref to judge from the middle.

Edit: Just seen the video above. Oh dear.

I don't think it's spin. I think there is a board/fence behind the goal that it bounces off.
1.40 in the goalcam vid BTW

I think the interesting bit is that a player from each side obviously didn't think it had gone in either. Btw I had to watch it a few times and from other angle to get what had happened.

It's clearly just an error, did the team win?

The keepers reaction should have given it away that it was a goal.

Got to love the back spin on the ball though. Would have made it impossible for the ref to judge from the middle.

Edit: Just seen the video above. Oh dear.

On the first video, it really looked like it hit the crossbar - how did it not shake the net?
I can kind of accept that maybe from the middle the referee simply couldn't tell. May have looked like it hit the crossbar from there...I don't understand how the AR missed it though.
What did we think of the penalty/caution?
what video had that?

I think the interesting bit is that a player from each side obviously didn't think it had gone in either. Btw I had to watch it a few times and from other angle to get what had happened.

It's clearly just an error, did the team win?
i havent watched the video as i cant access it at work unfortunately, but what i find of the most interest is your comment here that its clearly an error.
that for me is a stand out statement, as in, i think we all accept that, but on the flip side, the majority of the playing community, management and indeed the media, all expect refereeing to be a zero mistake science. players make mistakes all over the show, but they arent really taken to pieces in the same way officials are.

What we cannot see is the position of the AR. That's a shot from a long way out, had he followed (sprinted) after the shot or just stood watching?

We will never know.

The reverse angle is damning mind.

Just goes to show. One lapse of concentration and boom. The Internet and national newspapers all get to call you a cheat (or being really, really crap!)

I saw a video of this on Faceache last night, it's a cracking shot that seems to have come from a long way out that hit the boards behind the goal and ricocheted out with a lot of force.

A referee who is on his own and sprinting to keep up with a fast break would probably struggle to tell whether it had gone in or hit the post/cross bar.

If he has NARS you expect the assistant for this half of the pitch to be chasing the ball to the goal line and see whether it went in, but they still might have been pretty far behind the ball.

A similar thing happened in a Gills game last year. Big goal mouth scramble going on, 1st shot hit the post, second shot went in hit the advertising boards and came out, then the 3rd shot went in. They awarded the second goal.

Players/managers will never accept mistakes by match officials, at least not openly. It's much better for a manager to say we lost because the ref gave/didn't give such and such, than to say we lost because we're a bit crap

I think the poor goal design definitely has an impact here - the ball shouldn't be able to bounce out with no net movement. The referee could have had a player in front of him for all we know.
The AR....well, if he didn't sprint after the ball, then this wrong decision is 100% his fault in an unacceptable way.
It's a bit like when the ball sneaks through a hole in the net, or the goals that used to have the net support attached to the posts and the ball would bounce off those...
Any Futsal referees on here? This sort of thing happens a lot when the wall is about 2 yards behind the goal, no idea if it went in the goal or hit the crossbar!!

I'd have liked to have seen some honesty from the keeper here. If I was in goal, I'd have told the referee that it was definitely a goal and then shook the goalscorers hand! He knows it was a goal and the fact he's kept quiet has robbed the player of his moment.

I can't help being an all round good guy and humanitarian

The key evidence as stated; the keepers reaction. :)

Edit: Posted same time as DB.

What I mean is the keepers reaction and lack of effort to get the ball safe screams out goal.

Reactions: DB
RoyCarroll_clanger-Spurs.png

you mean like Roy "man of honour" Carroll did?

Depending on what angle you look at it and whether you're squinting.... Great save that man!

The key evidence as stated; the keepers reaction. :)
[...]
What I mean is the keepers reaction and lack of effort to get the ball safe screams out goal.

Had one of those Saturday. Shot came in. GK frozen. Watched it hit the goal and come right back out. Never moved. Much like the guy in the video above.

One comment I saw elsewhere about that video is that the referee had Club ARs rather than Neutral ARs... that may have come into play on the decision too.

Back