A&H

Wolves v Everton

The Referee Store
At match speed I thought it was a great tackle however seeing the slowed down images I think it was a correct decision. He’ll not get that rescinded!

I agree, he doesn't deserve it rescinded, good call with the card in my opinion. Very poor attention for the location of the free kick. Ref will be going mad with himself and will overshadow the good work of identifying the offence in the first place. Should the other officials been more alert?

In real time I thought it was just a mistimed challenge. However the slow motion replay shows just how dangerous it was. Hands up, If I was in the middle I would definitely have missed it. I think it's a brilliant call by Craig Pawson, and a really good example of first class refereeing.

It was given for DOGSO according to 'Goals on Sunday'. I agree, it won't get overturned, however, SFP would have been a better fit on the basis that it was arguably dangerous (despite having got some of the ball)

SFP for me too. Studs making forcefull contact just above the opponent's ankle. It is a very good example of two offences at the same time. While the outcome is the same for the match, it's important for the referee to "punish the more serious offence" for further dissiplinary sanctions.

Excellent call.

Like others, I would have completely missed that (serious foul play) if I'm being honest with myself. One day we'll get enough experience to spot those at match speed! ;)

Agree with how good the call was but location of the free kick was very poor for a PL referee especially when it contributing to a goal. Albeit a cracking free kick goal.

1534082110102.png

1534082218589.png

He is standing where the ball should have been. A good 6 yards in that area is a huge advantage.

Agree with how good the call was but location of the free kick was very poor for a PL referee especially when it contributing to a goal. Albeit a cracking free kick goal.

View attachment 2332

View attachment 2333

He is standing where the ball should have been. A good 6 yards in that area is a huge advantage.
This was really poor by Pawson. It illustrates that he lost situational awareness, probably because he had doubts about the dismissal and was then distracted by the players

Reactions: one
While I have my critic hat on, the wall was set short at around 8 yards too (the grass cuttings change shade every 6 yards).

1534083198484.png

Huge danger sign is when a player takes a poor touch, very high possibility their next touch be a desperate lunge, intended to get that ball back by any means

In fairness to him Everton had the ball and there was no danger at the time, and consequently he was a long distance away from the challenge and that might have made judging the position more difficult. That said, the active assistant could have helped him out.

While I have my critic hat on, the wall was set short at around 8 yards too (the grass cuttings change shade every 6 yards).

View attachment 2334
That and the free kick is positioned closer to the PA than the further most part of penalty arc which we know is 10 yards so player should be positioned further back than the spot. There are pitch markings here that can be used for accurate positioning of defensive walls.

Also SFP all day long that. Echo Ciley. When a player makes a bad touch like that alarm bells start sounding

Back