A&H

What's the latest time in a game you've given a card?

Corner in 2nd min of injury time, whistle on way to mouth after being cleared by defence. Attacker felt aggrieved by something, OFFINABUS towards me, red card, long walk of shame and blew the full time whistle. No arguments from anyone and apologies all round after.
Otherwise was a very sporting game, that the lad's team were a few goals up in 🤷‍♂️

The Referee Store
I was being observed (my final observation for 7 to 6) doing an U18 development game with two neutral assistants (both level 5s). Fantastic having them on my line for advice etc.
Anyway, in the 91st minute a foul occurred right in front of one of my assistants who flagged for it and using signals, indicated that in his opinion it was a caution (we agreed before the game as a tool that if a challenge was worthy of a card, rather than flag for foul and either call me over if I've maybe missed something, but at end of the day I had final decision and they'd back me regardless), which I agreed.
However this was the players second caution and resulted in a red card.
No complaints by anyone.

Except the observer completely missed it.
The game was played at the U18s senior teams ground so had seated stand on two sides and he was sat in one of the stands.
The home side told us before we went out of the changing room that he'd just let the observer in so I was aware he was present.

When discussing the cards in the bar after the game (he came in to changing room and had a quick brief and said we will finish in bar so we can shower and change) he didn't note the red card as by that point he'd left the stands.
He did tell me it was a fantastic performance and was shocked to see someone of my level appointed to the game but now understood why. Great compliment if I'm honest.

When discussing the cards in the bar after the game (he came in to changing room and had a quick brief and said we will finish in bar so we can shower and change) he didn't note the red card as by that point he'd left the stands.
He did tell me it was a fantastic performance and was shocked to see someone of my level appointed to the game but now understood why. Great compliment if I'm honest.
Exactly why I ask the referee to read the cards to me and I check with my notes. On a few occasions I've done a "Kammy", where I've been writing something down then look up to see a player trudging off, and that was a bit embarrassing when I read out the cards and missed one.

Giving away observers' tricks of the trade there 😂

Exactly why I ask the referee to read the cards to me and I check with my notes. On a few occasions I've done a "Kammy", where I've been writing something down then look up to see a player trudging off, and that was a bit embarrassing when I read out the cards and missed one.

Giving away observers' tricks of the trade there 😂
Not just cards but everything that is noted in the referees match card, sanctions, goals and scorers, and if applicable substitutes.

I was AR when a player walked up to the ref after the game and said he was "S***" - easy red card.

A few days ago =, team winning by 3 goals, FK awarded to oppo, 2 minutes to go, player boots the ball 50 yards away.

Manager had the gall to query the yellow card at FT as well!

Good point! So it’s either a caution for delaying the restart or an IDFK for not releasing but cannot be both. In theory.
It can't be a idfk for delaying restart... no restart has been delayed when keeper fails to release after "6 seconds" because the ball is still in play.

It can't be a idfk for delaying restart... no restart has been delayed when keeper fails to release after "6 seconds" because the ball is still in play.
I know, I don’t think they’ve used the right language or they made a mistake in the IDFK

You lost me. How can there be a caution for delay that results in a FK? If the restart is being delayed, the restart doesn't change.
I imagine it was an imaginary scenario that only exists in imagination. 😂

On a more serious note, if there already was a IFK to the opponents and the keeper kicked the ball away or held on the ball, it can be possible. He never said the IFK was for delaying the restart caution.

Biggest cluster:

Grand final in regional league
From 62' onwards
All three goals
1y
2 second yellows
1 OFFINABUS after fulltime
Spectators on the pitch after fulltime
Side that conceded all cards won the match. Correlation with intensity?

Aside from this cluster, only two other yellows for the duration of the match.

Please excuse lots - the quality of my communication, the quality of the camera work, the quality of the pitch and the subsequent quality of play

Last edited:
I gave a yellow and a red card in the same game after I had blown the full time whistle. Even more surprising it was an U14s game 🤯

Biggest cluster:

Grand final in regional league
From 62' onwards
All three goals
1y
2 second yellows
1 OFFINABUS after fulltime
Spectators on the pitch after fulltime
Side that conceded all cards won the match. Correlation with intensity?

Aside from this cluster, only two other yellows for the duration of the match.

Please excuse lots - the quality of my communication, the quality of the camera work, the quality of the pitch and the subsequent quality of play
At 69' did you give a second yellow? The clip only cuts across to the red card, but presuming it was for a second yellow?

Back